Beginners and Beyond

Families with young children who travel - want to help with my homework? (Read 81 times)

Hip Redux

We need to determine if our potential customers (parents) is a large enough segment to target for a new family- friendly  luggage\suitcase made for air travel.  We have tons of market data, but we need some real people feedback.  My spidey sense tells me parents don't travel often and people don't purchase luggage often enough to make this a good market.

I have no idea what you are trying to survey BTW.

DavePNW

We need to determine if our potential customers (parents) is a large enough segment to target for a new family- friendly  luggage\suitcase made for air travel.  We have tons of market data, but we need some real people feedback.  My spidey sense tells me parents don't travel often and people don't purchase luggage often enough to make this a good market.

Ah. More direct question. I would have to agree with your assessment. Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I am not sure what amazing must-have feature this product would have, or what is not "family friendly' about most regular luggage. It is not something that traveling families worry about too much IMHO.

Does your market data say otherwise?

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Just flying?

I won't get on a plane, but we do a lot of road trips with our son who is a toddler. Do road trips count?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Hip Redux

Mostly based on observations - parents who were traveling with kids were a mess lol  I saw one guy trying to manage his luggage, the kid's luggage and the kid.... who would wander around security.  The luggage we designed for class was for things like to get through security easier with kids in tow and it's size is for under the seat in front of you with an easy way to get to items via a pull out drawer, etc.  It doesn't really matter though because Samsonite already patented our exact idea lol

My question was purposefully a little vague because sometimes you'll get nuggets of info from people that way - as opposed to people answering directly.  Like I am learning about some of the deciding factors in air travel vs car.

Ah. More direct question. I would have to agree with your assessment. Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I am not sure what amazing must-have feature this product would have, or what is not "family friendly' about most regular luggage. It is not something that traveling families worry about too much IMHO.

Does your market data say otherwise?

Hip Redux

For those of you who only car travel (and not fly) with the kids, feel free to respond in the poll with the "we don't travel" selection and respond in the thread with details.  I'd love to hear from more parents.

If I get an A, you guys will get a certificate of appreciation from me.   It'll be worth millions, millions I tell ya!

DavePNW

If I get an A, you guys will get a certificate of appreciation from me.   It'll be worth millions, millions I tell ya!

Is that kind of like a finisher's medal?

Dave

Can I answer as a former 0-10 year old? I traveled by plane many many times. I got my current pair of suitcases in elementary/middle school. They are durable REI/EMS type bags. One is huge and is used for checked luggage on international flights. The other fits most overhead compartments.  The smaller one also has a detachable backpack for my in-flight necessities (so I don't need to get into the overhead compartment). Both have wheels so I could pull them myself when I was younger.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Hip Redux

Is that kind of like a finisher's medal?

It's like a finisher's medal for a 5k.   Extra special.

From the Internet.

I voted "we don't travel with our kids" - like happylily, I had my DD when I was young and destitute Smile Still young and not quite as destitute, but still not well-off enough to consider a family vacation that involves flying, and not sure I'd want to wrangle a 5-year-old through an airport even if we were.

Village people

It costs way too much money to travel by plane with my crew. We drive.

delicate flower

We have been flying with our kids on average once a year since they were born. They were always generally pretty good travelers, they wouldn't piss off you DINKs too much if you were sitting in front of them.

I don't know, it doesn't take much.

I think strong luggage that you can stuff your kids into would be a pretty good product.  You know, check the kids so the cabin remains quiet.

<3

happylily

I don't know, it doesn't take much.

I think strong luggage that you can stuff your kids into would be a pretty good product.  You know, check the kids so the cabin remains quiet.

LOL...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Antipodean

We have no choice but plane travel for most of our destinations as there's nothing but sea between us. That's what happens when you're stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere. It is expensive wherever you want to go to. Except perhaps Australia.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

slowrunningjulie

I fly with my kids (ages 5-7) on average twice a year. Sadly, we have the same luggage set that we got for a wedding gift eleven years ago. However, if we were to buy new luggage, it would probably be little rolly bags that the kids could carry their own stuff in.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Strict WTF adherent

Several times a year with a 2yo/5yo/6yo, mostly between NJ and California or NJ and Florida.

They do own their own suitcases, but rarely use them except in some highly specific circumstances. Easier to just shove everyone's stuff into the same suitcases (bought high-quality stuff years ago so we wouldn't have to replace). That's especially the case when trying to maneuver a stroller through the airport as well. I would consider buying a bag that I could check or fit in the overhead with the 2yo or 5yo inside.