Beginners and Beyond

The Fashionably Late TUESDAILIES (Read 49 times)

Hip Redux

Cyberic

I asked for advice in the main forums about running after yet-another herniated disc.

I got such helpful advice such as "Jeesh... this is a 26 min 5k we are talking about."... so I guess why bother since I'm not fast?  And someone else told me I was stupid to try to continue to run (even though my back problems have no correlation with running).

Really?

LRB

I asked for advice in the main forums about running after yet-another herniated disc.

I got such helpful advice such as "Jeesh... this is a 26 min 5k we are talking about."... so I guess why bother since I'm not fast?  And someone else told me I was stupid to try to continue to run (even though my back problems have no correlation with running).

It's surprising that that doesn't surprise me.

Zelanie

I got my butt muscle to relax, and now my inner thigh muscle (which was fine before) is killing me. 

Hip Redux

Really?

Yeah.

Perhaps I was being overly sensitive, but it totally felt like I was getting extra "comments" because of the type of runner I am.   I guarantee a faster runner with a similar problem would have been treated differently.   In the end, I did get some good advice.

And in hindsight looking at that thread, the numbness in that leg was likely from my psoas nerve entrapment.  It got way worse just before surgery, but after surgery it's actually gone and most of my back pain is better as well Smile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah.

Perhaps I was being overly sensitive, but it totally felt like I was getting extra "comments" because of the type of runner I am.   I guarantee a faster runner with a similar problem would have been treated differently.   In the end, I did get some good advice.

And in hindsight looking at that thread, the numbness in that leg was likely from my psoas nerve entrapment.  It got way worse just before surgery, but after surgery it's actually gone and most of my back pain is better as well Smile

I will keep my happy, non-elite, slow ass  right here in the B&B  screw the wannabes.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

Yeah.

Just read the whole thread. And it reminds me (yet again) how hard it is to pass a message in writing. IMO if Nobby would have told you his first message in person, it would not have been the same, because as soon as he would have started to say something based on false assumptions of your state/condition/situation, you would have corrected him, and his advice would have been better formulated right up front.

I also understand your reaction as the things you mention were said WERE said. The "stupid" was there, the 26 minutes 5K was there.

Forums 

Baboon

delicate flower

I ran.

60 minutes, 7.2 miles, easy effort.  My left thigh was not happy.  What the hell was that all about?  Stretch and roll and stretch and roll....

<3

Zelanie

The running gods heard me bragging about not stretching, and vengeance was swift.

Baboon

delicate flower

Actually I stretch every day!  I just don't stretch immediately before or after running.  30 minutes every night though while watching the boob tube.

<3

LRB

Just read the whole thread.

I could not get past the first paragraph of the first for shit post, too much drivel and nonsensical bull shit in there for me. But if there was a message buried in that pile of horse dung, people like me would not find it in a million years.

Ironic though that it was from 2 years ago. Only in the fact that regardless of the year, that's usually what one finds on the interwebz.

outoftheblue

Another rest day.  I took a break from the yard work as well and cleaned the house instead.  I've decided to run very little between now and my Half on Sunday.  I figured I couldn't possibly feel any more slow, dead-legged and achy, so I might as well rest and see what that does for me.

Life is good.

Hip Redux

Just read the whole thread. 

I'm sorry. lol

No doubt people say things differently online/in writing than they would in real life.  I'm sure Nobby was meaning well... and he did end up giving me some ideas.  But it's very easy to start down the path of relating how you respond to someone by their quality of athletic ability in this space.

Hip Redux

Ironic though that it was from 2 years ago. Only in the fact that regardless of the year, that's usually what one finds on the interwebz.

You mean I've wasted my time been with you guys for two years?

LRB

You mean I've wasted my time been with you guys for two years?

I remember the first day we "met". Your ass swooped in here out of nowhere like an eagle in the sky. lol

That post is still one of my all time faves though. Lit dat ass up yes you did.