Beginners and Beyond

LawyerMom's Long Beach 1/2 Marathon RR (Read 71 times)

Coastal

LM.  Good race, specially considering how much the AT's derailed your training.  The weather conditions didn't help either so hitting your B goal is a significant accomplishment.  I was wondering how your race went.

Something to think about is running at that intensity limits our ability to process what we eat and the harder we push the more it shuts down.  One gel during a hard half might be all you can tolerate.   It's a lot different on a long training run.

Coast, I think you are right. I don't eat or drink at all in training, ever. Coffee before I get out, then I eat an hour or so when I get back. My stomach has no point of reference for trying to do something with food while I'm running, and I had too damn many of the things! And no, (feel free to point and laugh), I did not try Gu in training. I should know better!  I agree, one during the race would have been enough and probably not wrecked me so badly.

Also, I slept horribly the night before. Like really, really badly. Maybe got 3 hours? I just could not sleep. It's not uncommon for a crappy night's sleep to make my tummy feel terrible. The combo was apparently really bad...

But don't worry. I'm back to eating all the things! I get knocked down, but I get up again.  (Happy earworm, lol!)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Coast, I think you are right. I don't eat or drink at all in training, ever. Coffee before I get out, then I eat an hour or so when I get back. My stomach has no point of reference for trying to do something with food while I'm running, and I had too damn many of the things! And no, (feel free to point and laugh), I did not try Gu in training. I should know better!  I agree, one during the race would have been enough and probably not wrecked me so badly.

Also, I slept horribly the night before. Like really, really badly. Maybe got 3 hours? I just could not sleep. It's not uncommon for a crappy night's sleep to make my tummy feel terrible. The combo was apparently really bad...

But don't worry. I'm back to eating all the things! I get knocked down, but I get up again.  (Happy earworm, lol!)

You'll never going to bring me down!  Now I have that song in my mind...

Damaris

Coastal

Gee, thanks, LM:  This song is going to drive me batty all day....  

zzyzx

I use 3 gu thingies on a half but I'm also a type II diabetic and don't like letting my blood glucose get high or low. It seems to work for me at least.

GEHamlin

“Sack up ho” 🤣🤣🤣 Awesome 👏

Congrats on the B goal! Sounds like a race well run - and the training turned out better than you feared. Well done you! Glad you’re feeling good too!

RunningOnSand

LM, as per usual, you made me laugh Smile I love reading your writing. It sounds like you did an awesome job, especially with the damned AT's funking things up during your training cycle - and the heat/humidity?! Blah. Nice job, lady. I've also had major issues with cramps/diarrhea after a run and (for me at least) I think it comes down to a hydration/electrolyte issue - which seems like what others are saying, too. I have to be super well hydrated before (like for 1-2 weeks before) and then if I take an energy source "food" (aka not drink) during the race I have to wash it down with water. And not too much. Hoping you don't have to go through that again, b/c, that sucks.

Runshortii

Nice job considering the heat and humidity! And awesome that you’re feeling decent afterwards and not too beat up.

One 10 mike race I ran this summer I had horrible stomach pain afterwards all day, I don’t usually take Gu or anything for races except the marathon so I’m not sure what it was. Probably the pierogis and Mexican style corn in a cup I had for dinner at a festival the night before 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Great Job LM!    (yep stole this from RWOL)  VERY impressed with that final 2 miles and sprint finish too.  Yeah, sucks to have those would of, could of, should of's after races.  But they go into the bag of knowledge for next time.  And increasing your mileage and staying away from the sprint stuff seemed to do the trick in making you an overall stronger runner!  Also, thanks for the shout-out on the Chicago heat thread .  But Yoda I am not.  Yoda, OFR he is.   OFR helped me with a flared up AT as well.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Great Job LM!    (yep stole this from RWOL)  VERY impressed with that final 2 miles and sprint finish too.  Yeah, sucks to have those would of, could of, should of's after races.  But they go into the bag of knowledge for next time.  And increasing your mileage and staying away from the sprint stuff seemed to do the trick in making you an overall stronger runner!  Also, thanks for the shout-out on the Chicago heat thread .  But Yoda I am not.  Yoda, OFR he is.   OFR helped me with a flared up AT as well.

Truth re: OFR for sure!!!  Also, nice steal.  Well played.

And you made me all curious, so I went back and to check out the percentages and whatnot, and I'm not sad AT ALL now.  8% of the total field had gun times faster than me, and I came in 125th out of 4463 women, 17th out of 695 in my AG.  It was hot for everyone.

oldfartrunner

Oh boy you guys... . ..So where is your RR Berto? Did I miss it?   Video @ 12, with beer and pizza? 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

And you made me all curious, so I went back and to check out the percentages and whatnot, and I'm not sad AT ALL now.  8% of the total field had gun times faster than me, and I came in 125th out of 4463 women, 17th out of 695 in my AG.  It was hot for everyone.

Now THAT puts things into perspective.... way to Rock it LM!  Coach OFR must be proud.

OFR - No RR for me this time.  Condensed version - Hot and my hammy fell off around mile 16.  Didn't bother to pick it up.  Gimped across in 4:01.  Did get 2 beers though from the nice fans in Chicago.    Oh yeah, my AT held up nicely from your suggestion of compression sleeves!  Yoda, you are... 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half!  I'd die if I tried to do a half at that pace, lol.  You dun good!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Coastal

Truth re: OFR for sure!!!  Also, nice steal.  Well played.

Yep.  Damn nice effort. Top 2% OAW and in AG.  That makes you officially fast, LM.  

not lazy, just tired

8% of the total field had gun times faster than me, and I came in 125th out of 4463 women, 17th out of 695 in my AG.  It was hot for everyone.

This is fabulous! Great race in too warm weather. And I'm with Scotty Dog on this one... I think I'd die if I tried to do a half at your pace.

Not if it makes sense.