Beginners and Beyond

Shake your head TuesDAILIES (Read 33 times)

Zelanie

Morning, guys!

I have the day off today, which is such a treat since we've been really busy lately.  Planning to run 8 this afternoon, and maybe even buy some new shoes!

Thank you to all the veterans in the dailies. 

Question:  I finally made an appointment for a sports massage.  There's a guy who offers good discounts to our running club, plus I saw him once after a race and he found and released 3 spots in my hip even though I had told him that I thought it was my hamstring that was tight.  But I don't know the protocol here.  He has his own business, and charges $85 for the initial 2-hour visit (thankfully, after that, you can have a shorter session).  So- do you tip your massage therapist?  Even if they are in business for themselves?  If so, how much?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I always tip mine. He is on his own.

Damaris

happylily

Morning, guys!

I have the day off today, which is such a treat since we've been really busy lately.  Planning to run 8 this afternoon, and maybe even buy some new shoes!

Thank you to all the veterans in the dailies. 

Question:  I finally made an appointment for a sports massage.  There's a guy who offers good discounts to our running club, plus I saw him once after a race and he found and released 3 spots in my hip even though I had told him that I thought it was my hamstring that was tight.  But I don't know the protocol here.  He has his own business, and charges $85 for the initial 2-hour visit (thankfully, after that, you can have a shorter session).  So- do you tip your massage therapist?  Even if they are in business for themselves?  If so, how much?

Zel, I don't tip my massage therapist because she is her own boss. The rare times that I have had a massage at a spa, while on vacation, I have tipped the employee who gave me the massage. I am unsure about the protocol here and it makes me feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, as Dave and Baboon know, I am big on tipping the maids who change the sheets that I have slept in at hotels. (that is in reference to a thread in L&O and not because I have shared a room with Dave and Baboon )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

I have only gotten a massage a few times, but never even thought to tip.

And when I stay in hotels, I always invite Lily along to cover the maid's tip. Baboon usually just shows up looking for free cookies at the front desk.

Dave

B-Plus

+1 to lily.

happylily

And when I stay in hotels, I always invite Lily along to cover the maid's tip. Baboon usually just shows up looking for free cookies at the front desk.

LOL... You, cheapskates.

Baboon

delicate flower

First thing I look for in the hotel lobby is the free coffee and cookies.  Most hotels have the prior.  I look for the ice water too, though some hotels like to have it soaking in lime (that's fine) or cucumber (gross).  And I tip my masseuse $10.

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

First thing I look for in the hotel lobby is the free coffee and cookies.  Most hotels have the prior.  I look for the ice water too, though some hotels like to have it soaking in lime (that's fine) or cucumber (gross).  And I tip my masseuse $10.

Especially the cookies.

Hi Dailies.  Thanks to the Daily veterans for your service. Smile

I just had a very nice run. I did 8x400 w 400 jogs and warm up and cool down, 6.7 miles total. On the 400s I averaged about a 1:42 for each one. The first and last ones hurt but the ones in the middle were nice. The best part was that I recovered nicely after each of the jogs and was ready for the next one. I may pay for it tomorrow, but it feels good now. Yes sir.

LRB

I have three massage therapists and I actually asked one of them the protocol for it since my first one was free (I got a certificate from a race expo) and I wondered was I supposed to tip after leaving without doing so.

I explained to her that it bothered me that I did not know.  After pulling teeth for seemingly a half an hour, all she would concede is that most people tip but they do not hold it against anyone who does not.

I tip anywhere from $15 to $25 depending on the length of the session and/or what ailment was fixed.

LRB

On the other hand, as Dave and Baboon know, I am big on tipping the maids who change the sheets that I have slept in at hotels. 

I have done that forever.  Hopefully I am not looked down on for it as I have no idea what the reference is/was...

...on second thought, no different than anything else I don't really care how I am looked at.  lol

happylily

I have done that forever.  Hopefully I am not looked down on for it as I have no idea what the reference is/was...

...on second thought, no different than anything else I don't really care how I am looked at.  lol

Rick, apparently, some people in L&O think that we play God whenever we tip. Others think we encourage big corporations to pay their employees low salaries and that if we stopped tipping, said income would surely double (without mentioning that the cost of rooms would surely go up. So customers end up paying for it anyway). More just think that you and I are suckers. And finally, others probably think (but did not say) that middle-aged immigrant women who cannot work anywhere else deserve to scrub toilets and change our sheets and they are worth no more than peanuts, as opposed to the healthy young guy who parks our cars at fancy hotels. Everyone tips him, for fear the car gets scratched... That was the gist of the thread, more or less.

LRB

Rick, apparently, some people in L&O think that we play God whenever we tip. Others think we encourage big corporations to pay their employees low salaries and that if we stopped tipping, said income would surely double (without mentioning that the cost of rooms would surely go up. So customers end up paying for it anyway). More just think that you and I are suckers. And finally, others probably think (but did not say) that middle-aged immigrant women who cannot work anywhere else deserve to scrub toilets and change our sheets and they are worth no more than peanuts, as opposed to the healthy young guy who parks our cars at fancy hotels. Everyone tips him, for fear the car gets scratched... That was the gist of the thread, more or less.

To each his own, it's a line of thought that has always worked for me.

LRB

It seems weird driving around while being off from work, I could get used to this.  

happylily

To each his own, it's a line of thought that has always worked for me.

Of course. I just find it interesting to see how people think regarding different subjects and I like to understand why I do some of the things that I do.

B-Plus

Apparently I went for a swim yesterday ...