Beginners and Beyond

Centuple Saturday Penguins (Read 28 times)

PADRunner

he "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Smile

PADRunner

Today's 3.1 tempo puts me over the top at 100.4 for my first triple digit month.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

PAD: Well done!!! Do you have any races coming up?

As for me, I just did a nice 4 mile recovery run. Now we are off to DDs XC time trial and then to the beach until Monday.

Enjoy the three day weekend, Pens.

hog4life

Pad, congrats on the first 100 mile month!

Hiya Jack.

I'm helping with the yard sale and will do my LR this evening, maybe 10 if I can make it that far.

Update from the colonoscopy and CT scan from last week. My colon was completely clean, no biopsies taken , but a new restriction was found where the small intestine joins the large intestine. The CT was inconclusive as to whether or not something "significant" was beyond the restriction. The restriction is caused from my Crohn's Disease. I'm being referred back to the surgeon to see if I'm a candidate to have surgery to open the restriction and see what's beyond it. If it were not for the colon cancer a year ago, I would be treated with meds until complications warranted more evasive action. He changed my meds to something more directed at the small intestine instead of the meds I've been taking for 25 years that were focused on my colon. There is greater than a 50% chance I will have/need surgery within the next 5 years. We are pulling the minds together to come up with a treatment plan on how to approach this. The doctor would like to "see" what's in there, but he doesn't have access to the new scopes that are designed to look all the way through the small intestines. There is one in UAB and Vanderbilt, but don't know if I can be referred there, or even if my insurance will cover. I hope to see the surgeon within a week or two, then back to the GI doctor for a consult.

Mitch

PADRunner

Hi Pens...

PAD: Well done!!! Do you have any races coming up?

As for me, I just did a nice 4 mile recovery run. Now we are off to DDs XC time trial and then to the beach until Monday.

Enjoy the three day weekend, Pens.

Thanks, legs are sore but I was so close I had to do try for it

I've got a 5k on Monday.

Looking at 10k Oct, 5ks Nov & Dec. Possible Half in March.

Nice job, PADRunner!

Jack - enjoy your weekend and good luck to your DD.

I was planning to run 6 today and ended up running just a little bit more so I could say I finally ran 10k. Longest distance ever for me, at 6.3 miles in 63 minutes. My city keeps getting smaller as I realize just how easy it is to run to various places I thought were "far away". Today I ran down to the river before sunrise, and it was so pretty. I wish I had an easy way to bring a camera so I could share those beautiful views with others. Smile Plank will be done later.

Wow, Mitch. I'm glad the scan came back clean and I hope the restriction issue gets cleared up without any complications. Enjoy your run tonight!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  9 miles tonight.

Mitch, I am glad that it was not cancer and I hope they can deal with the obstruction in a quick and painless matter.  Keep us posted.  I'll be thinking of you.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Mitch, hope you can get that small intestine issue resolved soon.

Will run 3-5 today w/dw and then go pickup dd wedding dress. 1 week to go!!!

Have a great Labor Day weekend and good luck Racers.

tracilynn

Mitch, is there a chance this new medicine will work and you wont need the surgery? Sounds like your doctor is proactive and thats good.  When is it gonna cool off here?

Pad, nice 100 month.   Good job and congrats on triple digits.

Jack, enjoy the beach.  Good luck to dd although she prob wont need it.  Tell her no selfies during the trial.

Mnm, congrats on your distance PB. Nice time too.

Woke up at 6:30 to run and it was already sunny out and so hot and muggy.  Ran 4.2 miles.  Saw 3 dead snakes.  Babies.  Do they hatch this late?

1:20 plank.

FOOTBALL AND BEER LATER WOOHOOO

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Damaris, enjoy your run later

Jerry, enjoy the 3-5.  Picking up the dress is exciting.  Have you been practicing your twerk?  Dont pull your hip muscle again! Shake it dont break it

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I know you're stressed about it but looking for a dress and planning the wedding is so exciting!

Mitch, hope you can get that small intestine issue resolved soon.

Will run 3-5 today w/dw and then go pickup dd wedding dress. 1 week to go!!!

Have a great Labor Day weekend and good luck Racers.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - Stay strong buddy.  You're always in my prayers.

Jack - You wanted an update on my run today.  Here it is.  I had 2 easy miles, 12 at Marathon Pace, and 2 easy.  I was shooting for 8:30 mpm, but this is my first marathon pace run, and I have to say that it took me a while to find my pace.  It felt like I had one foot on the gas, and one on the break.  Anyway, I eventually settled in.  Here are my splits:

1  9:47

2  9:38

3  8:42

4  8:45

5  8:33

6  8:31

7  8:27

8  8:32

9  8:34

10  8:39

11  8:27

12  8:26

13  8:31  HM Split 1:52:58 (THAT'S A PR....LOL)

14  8:33

15  9:21

16  8:58

Summary:

16 Miles

2:20:34

8:46 average

It actually felt pretty darn easy, even though it was a warm and 94% humidity this morning.  It was definitely a confidence builder.  I might adjust my marathon pace a bit, but for now I think that's pretty good.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Mitch, glad the scan came up clean. Hope the restrictions is nothing.

Havent ran for 2 days but still coughing. Still manageable. Was hoping not running for 2 days would clear it but no luck. Waking up tmr at 4am for the HM. Night, guys!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck, Bin!

Great run, Awood!

Damaris