Beginners and Beyond

Intestinal Cramping on the Long Run (Read 56 times)

You Rang?

I'm training for my first full marathon.  During the last two miles of my long run on Sunday I encounter intestinal cramping and a fair amount of gas.  That pain was moderately sharp, and it did cause me to stop running briefly and walk,  About ten seconds after it hit, it went away and I started to run again.  It hit a couple more times in the last two miles, but I just ran through it, passed the gas and sucked up the pain.  My guts were not the only part of my body in pain at that moment.  It was just the most pronounced part at the time.

This long run was 18 miles.  I've never run 18 miles before and I'm a bit concerned because I'm running 20 miles this Sunday, and several more times in the next several months.  I'm running 26.2 miles in January, and I'd really like to figure out this intestinal cramping thing before then. It was less than pleasant.  I hadn't eaten anything in the six hours before the run and the run itself was three hours long.  I drank only water and about 12 oz. of sports drink on the run itself.  Lunch was Mexican food.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this issue, or is this one of the things that comes with the territory and must be endured?

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Just B.S.

So you ran 18 miles for the first time without eating anything in 9 hours? Not being sarcastic, just making

sure I understand.

Also you didn't mention the weather conditions temp/humidity etc which can be a factor.

Also doesn't look like you were drinking enough either, although you didn't say how much water you drank

along with the 12oz of sport drink.

Sounds to me like dehydration combined with a lack of nutrition/energy to keep you going for 9 hours and

an 18 mile run at the end. I think anyone's insides would rebel at that.

I have run for many years and have only once encountered bad intestinal cramping on a long run and it was

caused by warm weather with high humidity and too little fluids on the 20 mile run.

I would suggest next time eating something an hour or so before the run, possibly a little bite of something during

and more fluids.

hog4life

Don't take this wrong, I have Crohn's Disease, so it could be a little different for me. But when I have intestinal cramping, AND, gas, it usually means my bowels need emptying. And for me, it doesn't necessarily have anything do with how long it's been since I've eaten before a LR, just saying.

I hope you get it figured out!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think it relates to what you ate the night before or that morning (Or lack thereof). I got super sick on a 3 miler last week and I have never been before.

If it happens again I would worry but I wouldn't worry tok much.  It could have been what you ate or not.  I run LRs at 5am with an empty stomach without issue, but the times I have gotten sick have been related to what I ate the night before.

Damaris

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Lunch was Mexican food.

This would be the first thing I would change.

You have 2 months to figure out something that works for you.  Pay close attention to what you are eating during the 24-36 hours before the long run and also look at hog4life's advice.  Everyone is different, find something that works for you.

PS: I find that Sushi treats me very well for long runs...the rice is binding and it has a good mix of veggies/protein.  You probably will vary.

**Ask me about streaking**

delicate flower

Mexican food and a sports drink before/during a LR would destroy me.

I used to have issues on my LR's when I first started doing them.  As I ran more of them, the problems when away.  I think there is something to be said for your body needing to adapt.  You're putting a tremendous load on your system that the body hasn't experienced before.  And if you did that run on an empty stomach, your body is trying to use fuel that isn't there.  I've found Hammer Nutrition products serve me well (Perpetuem, Heed, and Hammer Gel).  They are much easier on my stomach than the Gu, Clif, and ShotBloks of the world.

<3

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Hiya Lurch:

Since you have not completed runs of this length before, and that you had no other signs of distress (side cramps, tingling in your arms, light headedness, etc.), it appears to be food related.  Think back to what you ate the day before, perhaps a hard to digest protein or something like that.

As we run longer distances, our bodies shift their energy to where it is required, bypassing some normal functions like digestion.  As your body runs out of fuel, it then seeks energy or nutrition from elsewhere.  Your liver might have been depleted of glycogen, now relying more on stored fats.  The resulting increase in digestion seeking energy could have started up the cramps.

For your next run, try to eat a bagel or some form of carbohydrate 1 hour or so before the run.  There are times when I will eat half a bagel and be on the road 30 minutes later.  Not a problem digesting and have not needed to stop and use the bathroom.  My guess is the Mexican food doing a salsa in your colon.  Next time do pasta or bread, no Chipotle, lol.

delicate flower

....no Chipotle, lol.

Hey, Chipotle has fueled my runs before.  Smile   Rice bowl with chicken or steak, veggies, pico, and NO BEANS.

<3

RSX

In years past I did my long runs with just liquids (after breakfast) and was fine. I ran my first marathon in 4 years and noticed I have things to work on this year. I used Cliff bars, and switched to gu but still have stomach issues so am also looking into breakfast etc. I asked a doctor friend the other day to give me a book recommendation.

I do know in my case that if I ran long after skipping breakfast I would have stomach issues in my case

LRB

These are the growing pains (no pun intended) of distance running, and should you successfully train for and complete your first marathon, you will learn more about yourself than you could have ever imagined.

While learning what to eat, drink, wear and take on long runs is important, learning what not to eat, drink, wear or take on long runs is equally important.

There will be tales of successes, failures or indifference and like the rest of us, you will tell them.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What is this hate for mexican food?  That is what I eat the day before my long runs without issue.  You guys have sissy stomachs.Joking

For the record, Chipotle is not Mexican food.

Damaris

Love the Half

Sometimes shit happens.  Never make changes on the basis of one run.  I will say that when I haven't been doing true long runs for a while, and by "true" long runs I'm talking about runs in excess of two hours, I'll experience some intestinal discomfort in the first couple.  Then it goes away.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

For the record, Chipotle is not Mexican food.

Well then why is this their tag line:

Chipotle Mexican Grill: Gourmet Burritos and Tacos   <cite>www.chipotle.com/</cite>

I guess Mexico above is some form of an advertising hook, cause it sure sounds like a Mehicanna type of food!

You Rang?

I concur with Docket.  Chipotle is not Mexican food, and is not what I ate before last Sunday's long run.  I went to Las Barcas, a local Mexican hole in the wall joint a block from the beach and feasted on tacos, rice, beans, and chips.   A Chipotle burrito bowl sans beans and salsa does sound good pre long run food.  Maybe I'll give that a try.

Thank you all for your sage advice.  Sometime I don't know what I don't know.  And consistantly running beyond fifteen miles is not something I know a whole lot about. School is open.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

delicate flower

I like Moe's better than Chipotle.

<3