Beginners and Beyond

Race for a better place 5k, sub-19 & 2nd OA! (Read 65 times)

happylily

Well done, Dave! That's some awesome finish times all across the board, here. From short to much longer distances, you're a great runner. That's hard to pull. Bravo!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

WOW, congrats on 2nd OA. That must be a great feeling.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Cherie! It's a great feeling. Smile

Thanks Ric-G!

Thanks Rick! I'm definitely feeling good about my year so far, hope I can keep it up. I have a mile race in August, I ran it last year and had no idea what I was doing, so I just found a guy who was planning to run a time I thought I could do and stayed with him, this year I'll try racing it on my own. I have two more 5Ks, one next weekend, then another two weeks later, then a 10K two weeks after that. Past that nothing until a 5K in July, miler in August, 8k in Sept, half in Oct, full in Nov, 50k in Dec. That's the rest of my year. Smile I might toss in a couple of 5Ks in the fall/winter just to see where my speed is then. I'm shooting for a fair amount of weight loss by the July 5K, so I can see how much that helps me. I'm still sitting at 195lbs and it's not doing me any favors. 20-25lbs lighter should add a fair amount of speed. Smile

Thanks lily! Part of me really wants to focus on speed for a while, but then a bigger part of me wants to qualify for Boston again and then actually go to Boston in '16, so I'll probably still focus more on the longer distances for now. Maybe after I'm a lock for Boston '16 I'll see what I can do with the shorter stuff. I just want to be good at everything, is that too much to ask? lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Mitch!  It's a weird feeling, but I kinda like it. Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Zelanie

Time to accept the fact that you are fast and deserve to be starting up front, I think! Smile

So, have you adjusted your goals for your next 5K since you know you can do sub-19 without even having any competition?

Mmmmm...beer

Time to accept the fact that you are fast and deserve to be starting up front, I think! Smile

So, have you adjusted your goals for your next 5K since you know you can do sub-19 without even having any competition?

Guess I'm just gonna have to get used to it, huh? Smile

I have, instead of picking a pace, I'm going to go out hard and then see who's around me and try to hunt people down in front of me.  I figure that should help keep me pushing continuously.  I noticed today that while I was pushing hard, my legs still felt ok, so I think I can push them harder, just need to work on the focus, some competition should help.

-Dave

My running blog

Mmmmm...beer

Got a couple of really good shots from the race, this was coming up a small hill to the finish, kicking hard. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

LRB

Nice loose fingers, that's how you race.  No tension, which means no wasted energy.

You are bookin' D!

Bin Running

Great speed, Dave. Congrats!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

MothAudio

Congrats man! 

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Rick, I do try to focus on staying loose. I've also been focusing on my hip orientation. After reading that article about it's all in the hips, I've learned that I need to roll my hips slightly forward, so I've been practicing this in my daily runs. My new mantra is, "Hips forward, heels up!". Since I started focusing on this about a week or so ago, all of my runs have been extremely smooth. My footsteps have gotten softer, and I can feel more of the work taking place in my glutes.

Thanks Bin!

Thanks Mike!

-Dave

My running blog

Mmmmm...beer

Checked the official results, here are the top 3 finishers:

16:38

18:57

20:49

Crazy spread.  Found out after the race that the guy who won is a track coach.

-Dave

My running blog

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I just want to be good at everything, is that too much to ask? lol

That's a tough goal to reach, but it is attainable though you may be a little short of what you could run in any one event if you concentrated on just one distance.

All too often back in the day I would find myself, like you, racing alone with the leaders well ahead and the pack way behind. All you can do is try your best to push the pace or relax and run for the place leaving a fast time for another day. Depends on your race schedule and how close you may be to a PB. Congrats on the sub-19:00. Now go after the sub-6:00 pace for 5K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

All too often back in the day I would find myself, like you, racing alone with the leaders well ahead and the pack way behind.

In damn near every event I am in, at some point that is going to happen.  I have learned to embrace it.

Dave, I have that hip article and about the only thing I could relate to was trying to run as if your hip girdle was a bowl filled with liquid and you were trying not to spill it.

It has not been a focus of mine yet though, possibly in the off season as I was deep into half marathon training when I read it and did not want to screw around with my form at that time.

Glad to hear it is working for you though!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks George!  I'm going to incorporate a 5x1000 workout into my base building between now and July.  There's a 5k in July that I'm going to target before I start my marathon training for my Nov race.  I figure that will give me time to drop a fair amount of weight and get some good 5k workouts in.

-Dave

My running blog