Beginners and Beyond

Be a Millionaire Day Tuesday Penguins (Read 30 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

If only it were as easy as having a holiday for it... Smile

I ended up taking an URD yesterday due to rain. I could've been hardcore, but I needed a nap! Today's a SRD. With any luck, I'm getting free tickets to Lady Gaga for tonight!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all -- leaving for a short run soon.  I may also do some yoga this morning to try to stretch myself out a bit.  My quads are really tight after this weekend.

Would it be crazy to sign up for another half marathon that's on June 15th?  I found a cheap local one that I'm considering...

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Obie, sapf and Pengs.

Hope you get to see Lady Gaga Obie. Go for it sapf.

Health club for me after work, but it will be hard not to take a short run as it is going  to 80 today.

Philliefan33

Good morning Obie and Jerry.

sapf -- You just did a HM, correct?  I say go ahead and sign up for the June / local / cheap HM.  If you don't feel like pushing hard when race time comes, treat it like a LR with water stops and lots of friends.

I run something tonight, probably 5 at easy pace.

PADRunner

Morning all!. I got 6 yesterday. I'm going to an open track meet tonight. Should be interesting.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gail and I went and did weight training circuit last night.  I usually do my weight training circuit once a week, but she wants to do a twice a week schedule.  I thought I would be a lot more sore but my weight training went very well and I actually feel pretty good, so I guess my body is adjusting to the weight training finally.   Gail, OTOH, is a bit sore since she is still in the 'starting out' stage.  We decided Fridays and Mondays would be our weight days, that will give us a couple of recovery days in between sessions.    Today is a run day:  plan on 3 - 5 miles after work in a local park on some shady trails.  Shady, because our cool weather seems to have gone now and San Antonio is heading back up to the 'quite warm' stages again:

Not as hot as what Damaris and Jack are getting, but still pretty warm, and the dang humidity and dew-points are up there too this week, which does not help.  Even so, I'm sure I will manage to enjoy myself out there since I much prefer warm over cold.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy the concert, obiebyke.  Free tickets, nice.

Shoot, sapf, if you are already running half-marathon distance or close to it in your training runs, then why not?  You have almost a month until June 15th.  You may not RACE it the way you might want to, but what the heck, just have fun with it. And also, what Phillie said.

Health club, Jerry?  Is that like a gym?   Toe-mate-ohs.....toe-mawt-ohs....

Good luck with your miles tonite, Phillie.

Will you be competing at the track meet, PAD?  Good luck!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  sorry I was MIA but I was traveling, running, traveling, sleeping, bah.  Marathon # 24 is done.  More information later.

SRD.

Damaris

Dad on the run.

Obie - Enjoy the concert

Sap - I say go for it!

Scotty - Good job on the weight training. Two days a week will be good for you!

AFM - So you all know I've been struggling with the weight while my wife has been pregnant plus the fact that I was injured during the holiday seasons last year, not a good combo. I put on close to 30lbs and I had lost 50lbs so I wasn't real happy with that. Well the baby is finally here, my wife is back to focusing on her weight loss as well which makes it much easier for me. Over the past week I've already lost a couple of lbs and have been doing really well with my eating. I have also decided to throw in a 30 day challenge and see what my results are afterwards.

Current Weight - 213lb

Challenge is as followed, it starts with Day 1 which is simply 5 burpees, 2 pull ups and 20 sec plank. By the end of the 30 days I will be up to 100 Burpees, 15 pull ups and a 5min plank!

I took some pics last night just to see if I can notice any sort of difference by the end of the 30 days. I'm hoping to notice a decent change as well as be down to around 205lbs.

I'm going to keep up with the challenge on my blog (that I haven't updated since my race report) and hopefully now that things have calmed down a little bit in the Black household I can start being a little more active on the blog.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I and Dusty did W1D1 last night, and it went ok.  My knee was a little achy, but not terrible, and it went away during the later run segments.  Hopefully it's just my body saying, "How does this work again?"  I had super-tight calves, though, so I worked them with my R8 last night, and again this morning.  Definitely yoga this afternoon, then W1D2 tonight!

Obie -- I often daydream about what I'd do if I won the lottery.  Since I don't play, I don't think it's very likely!!  Enjoy the concert, if it happens!!

sapf -- if you want to do it, then do it!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the health club and stealth run!!

Phillie -- enjoy your easy something!!

PAD -- have fun at the track meet!!

Scotty -- yeah, it's fixing to get warm here too.  Which is nice -- DH had the windows open last night and I slept under a quilt!!

Docket -- have a good SRD, and welcome back!!

jblack -- burpees are tough!!  They kick my butt and make me feel so wimpy.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Warning...phone post.

Obie - Enjoy your nap.  I could use one myself.

sapf- A half is always a little crazy, but so much fun.  Be honest wuth yourself, and decide if you're up to it.

Jerry - Definitrly too nice to not run.

Phillie - enjoy the 5.

PAD- What is an open track meet?

Scotty - Don't work Gail too hard in the weight room.

Docket - 628.8 official marathon miles...yikes!

jblack - That's pretty ambitious.  Keep us posted.

HsM - I hope the knee continues to improve.  Enjoy day 2.

AFM - I ran 10k last night, and was working on 5 k pacing.  In K 2, 4, 6, I tried to hit 5k pace without checking the watch.  I hit 4:37, 4:34, 4:35.  If I can hit that kind of consistency Saturdy, I will be money.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

sapf: Go for it. That is plenty of time to recover and get in some miles and speed work.

JBJ: Good luck on the weight loss.

Scotty: I can't stand humidity, either. Our temps are down this week and we even had a few sprinkles this morning.

Today I'm going for a massage. My legs are tired and full of knots and lactic acid. Our massage guy does a great job and my legs feel like rubber when he is done. If the temperature is good, Sunday's marathon is shaping up nicely for DW and me.  DD has an awards assembly tonight and the other DD has her track banquet tomorrow night and I have finals this week and taking down my room and all the end of the year stuff going on. I hate it when life gets in the way of training! Wink

Have a good day.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi Jack!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Scotty - Yes I thought I'd try some shorter distances, much shorter 100m and 200m.

Awood - An open meet is just that open to anyone. I just ran across them looking to see what kind of sprint competition is out there.

Luke's locker puts on open track meets weekly in Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin, May-June.

There's a USATF SW Open(19-29) & Masters meet 6/28 in Dallas.