Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 5K (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 55th race of 2015 and my 2nd race of the Nov 7-8 weekend, after doing the Wurst 5-miler on Saturday morning.This event was supposed to be held on Oct 30, 2015, but major rains caused flooding in the event park, so it was postponed until Saturday, Nov 7.  Held at 5 pm in Lady Bird Johnson Park, which is about two miles from where I live.    It did rain in San Antonio in the morning, but by race time everything had moved out and the course was clear, so the race was on.  I ended up doing 33:18 chip time and was 6th in my 60-64 age group.

BEFORE THE START

For me getting to the start of this race was like a Charlie Chaplin movie, lol.  First, my wife was a vendor at another event and I took her some lunch; but I forgot to get from her the present we were giving to our friend, Ceci, the RD of this race.  So about 45 minutes before the race I went to her location and got the present.  Got to the park - 30 minutes to go to start - and then when I picked up my camera, I realized I had forgotten to put the battery into it.  Luckily, I live only 2 miles away from the park, so a quick trip home, got the battery  - right where I had left it after I charged it - and then back to the park.  As I was getting ready to turn into the park, the alarm went off at the Fire Station right next to the park and fire engines came hauling out...so I had to wait for them to go by.  sheesh!  Finally got into the park got a parking spot and was at the event...with 15 minutes to start time.  Brother!

Got a few prestart photos and then it was time to line up!

My friend, Bob, is starting to show his age...

photo 110_zps7rkdthzk.jpg

photo 111_zps4orguwug.jpg

photo 112_zpsooreykzo.jpg

photo 113_zpsnrbyh5qw.jpg

photo 114_zpsvec4ol8e.jpg

photo 115_zpsvvga12wx.jpg

photo 116_zpsxifojgnr.jpg

photo 117_zpscxkklgsd.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Out-and-back on paved trails. Lady Bird Johnson Park is a very nice park with good trails that go a long long way because they connect with other trails in the San Antonio greenway trail system.  This course took us past Los Patios, a very good local eatery - and none of those folks were out there along the course with free food for us - and we did a turn-around shortly after that and back the way we came.  Since this event started at 5 pm and it was 'dusk' and getting dark, my temperamental camera that does not like changing light did not focus too well for the on-course photos, so sorry about that...they kinda remind me of Pollock art, lol, or some of those blurry impressionist painting.  Still, you can kinda make out the type of terrain we were on.

photo 118_zpstp6dr1bk.jpg

photo 119_zpsqoiwroum.jpg

photo 121_zpsf9wgbzux.jpg

photo 124_zpstctkoxji.jpg

photo 125_zpsv2xrwqwp.jpg

photo 126_zpslqostgoh.jpg

photo 127_zpsxkojg8yd.jpg

photo 128_zpsxuulpbcj.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Beer, sausage wraps, music, games, costume contest, door-prize raffle, etc. Very nice after-party!

Volunteers, participants, supporters

photo 133_zpspi3gdq9k.jpg

photo 134_zpscn7lqy3w.jpg

photo 135_zpsttg0dl4x.jpg

photo 136_zpsgdbegcrs.jpg

photo 137_zpstofzdklz.jpg

photo 138_zpsalzw1rau.jpg

photo 139_zpsmlnvfhvr.jpg

photo 140_zpsjh7tsjps.jpg

photo 141_zpsrw8ektjt.jpg

photo 142_zpsznjc2xyt.jpg

photo 143_zpspop8ongh.jpg

photo 144_zpsmbglk436.jpg

photo 145_zpsgipqt9kx.jpg

photo 146_zpstpauobkz.jpg

photo 147_zpsoufkv5j9.jpg

photo 148_zpscubcyaah.jpg

photo 149_zpsfcudpasr.jpg

photo 150_zpscr0penws.jpg

photo 152_zps1eweyuea.jpg

photo 154_zpsrvypwutp.jpg

photo 155_zpswdf9x4wo.jpg

photo 157_zpstruqtpzs.jpg

photo 158_zpsn3uunkqq.jpg

photo 159_zpsujqnkqr5.jpg

photo 160_zpsjup5zoud.jpg

photo 161_zpshcbeksqt.jpg

photo 162_zps1fqtyxuq.jpg

Notice the guy in the Street2Feet shirt in the front row.  He lives about a mile from the park. He came to the park during the day

to check water on the course, found a bit, and got a broom to sweep it off..and then found that 'green slime' stuff under the water

and proceeded to clean that off too.  So that part of the course was clean and 'safe' for we runners, thanks to him.  Kudos!

photo 163_zpspn5dqqmn.jpg

photo 164_zpsgom6nfbs.jpg

photo 165_zpspflrtzah.jpg

EPILOG

One of my favorite events that I try to do every year.  Nice course, nice post-race goodies, always nice tech tee shirts, lots of great people and great costumes and makeup work and lots of fun.   Definitely do this one if you have the chance!  Ceci and iaapweb.com always do a great job with this one.  Ceci does so much for the running community and has also done so much for me and Gail over the years, Gail and I gave her a thank-you present of a Scentsy warmer "Day of the Dead" skull, which we thought she would like as she does this Day of the Dead event every year.   Looking forward to doing this one again next year!  Mucho thanks to all the people who did the hard work in making this one happen for we participants!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I'm glad they were able to hold the race after being postponed.  Nice costumes and makeup and a pretty course to run.

LRB

They have a Day of the Dead race here as well, I actually ran it in 2011. It got cancelled for a couple of years but now I understand it's back. I might run it again.