Beginners and Beyond

BAA 10K RR - What knee surgery? (Read 120 times)

delicate flower

I'm five months post-ACL/meniscus surgery.  I ran the BAA 10K today with MtnBikerChk (wife), Oski, Mr Oski, and my friend Mike (not MothAudio).  This was the first race in Boston since the marathon, so it had a real great vibe to it today.  I've been back running for two months now, and about five weeks into getting some mileage back.  I have not done much of any speedwork.  My focus has been on getting my endurance back up, as prescribed by my doc.  My PR was 47:48 and was very soft, having been set back in Nov 2011 which was my first year of running.  I had only run one 10K since and that was on tired legs.  10K's seem to be a rare beast around here.

I didn't really have a goal for this other than running strong and pain free.  I ran a 5K a couple of weeks ago in 23:39, so I had a pretty good idea of what I could do today if I didn't fall apart.  Sub-50 seemed realistic.  We got to Boston, got parked, used the portapotties, and got to the starting line with 10 minutes to spare.  Not enough time for a warmup with the swarms of people.  Bummer.

The temp was 73 and humid at the start and warmed up a bit during the race.  It got real warm in the sun.

The race went off in four waves based on your estimated finish time.  I got into the back of wave one (7:59 pace).  The horn sounded right at 8:00.  I really just had to go out and see what my legs and knee gave me.  I felt good running at 7:30 pace so I stuck to that.  I was passing a whole lot of people and did a fair bit of weaving that first 1K.

Mile 1:  7:29.  No time for a warm-up meant the first mile sucked.  My legs felt good enough but I was sucking wind.

Mile 2:  7:26  Feeling good now.  No knee pain.  Happy legs.  It realized PR pace was 7:42 and decided to see how far I could last at this pace since I was feeling good.  If I blow up, so what.  It was getting hot and didn't know how much that would affect me later in the race.  If I had to slow it down a bunch, I was ready to do that.  I was just happy to be here.  

Mile 3:  7:46.  Not a lot of uphill on this flat course, but it all came in this mile and I felt it.  The leaders went flying by on the other side.  It was really cool seeing them, as this was my first race with such an elite field.  My 5K split was 23:42, three second off my 5K from two weeks ago.  I was starting to hurt (the legs, not the knee).  I was getting hot and my legs were getting tired.

Mile 4:  7:34.  At exactly mile 4.55, I was ready for this to end.  "Crap, ~two more miles!"  My pace wasn't dropping but I was really starting to tire.  My knee didn't hurt one bit though, so I held my pace as best I could.  I realized I had built up a little cushion on my PR and wasn't ready to give it back yet.

Mile 5:  7:41.  Getting even hotter and more tired here.  Passing a whole lot of people, too.  I was starting to think mile 6 was going to be a slow one.  I spotted my friend John watching on the side of the road as I came under the bridge and up the incline.  I called his name and he snapped some pics.  Sweet!

Mile 6:  7:42.  Holding my pace, holding my pace, holding my pace.  How am I doing this!?  I expected to fade this last mile because of how much my legs hurt, but I was managing to hang on here.

Mile 6.2:  7:42 pace.  Finally seeing the finish line, that last .2 miles seemed a lot further away.  No final kick here...I was spent.  I crossed in an official 47:36 (7:37 pace) for a new PR by 12 seconds!  I was a happy Baboon!!

Overall:  756 / 5436

AG:  90/330

I couldn't be much happier about this.  Three months ago I would have been happy to know I could cover the distance at this point.  Doing so and setting a PR is more than I could have reasonably hoped for or expected.  Doing so on a warm and humid day is just a bonus.  Top 15% overall?  You kidding me?  I am thrilled.  I can't wait to see what a summer of more miles and speedwork will do for my fall races.  I see my doc one last time (I hope!) on Tuesday.  Hopefully he'll clear me to start hammering.

Now all that said, seeing the wife run her first 10K was even better.  Smile   She's come a long way and I am very proud of her.  <3

All in all, this was a great day with some good friends.  

<3

delicate flower

I got a couple of pics.

Up the incline and starting to hurt.  Notice the compression sleeves.  Really, that is why I PR'd.

Why yes, that is a jblackjr "Run for Boston" bracelet you see there on my wrist.

Event shirt (yellow) and medal.  I also bought the "Boston Stands as One" shirt.  Ya sort of have to.

Post-run recovery at the Jewish deli:  Banana stuffed French toast with berries and syrup, with a side of chicken sausage and five (yes) cups of coffee.

<3

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Awesome!!  Congrats!  Smile

outoftheblue

What a fantastic job Phil.   I can't believe you PR'd coming off knee surgery.   You are officially back and then some!

Life is good.

Great comeback performance!

And that did not look exactly like traditional Jewish deli fare, but looks delicious anyway.

Dave

tracilynn

Nice one!  Think you had bionic knee surgery though.  Confess.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats!  LOL at the Mike (not Moth Audio) comment.

Great comeback race!  Hope it continues that way for you!

Was it the first time you've raced in compression sleeves?  I always feel faster when I used my compression socks during races.

Damaris

Ric-G

wow. great result and nice comeback. I bet even faster results are ahead. nice job.

marathon pr - 3:16

runwell3

Well done Phil, congratulations!  Good things on the horizon for you too I'd bet.  Any race plans for between now & Hartford?  Great rr as well.

No more marathons

Congratulations - many would have just decided to bag it all after the surgery (OK, well - just me) so that makes this all the more impressive.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

What a great comeback.  That's awesome.  I know the feeling of seeing your wife make progress as well.  It's really fun.  We also like to have a great breakfast type post-race meal.  It's never something that we would usually eat, but for some reason it's really tasty after a race.  I'm glad you're healthy again, and can't wait to see how you progress.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

A PR so soon after your comeback, how extraordinary! I'm so happy for you, Phil! Bravo! What a great day for all of you. Love the pictures!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Thanks for the comments.  Smile

Docket:  This is my first race in the compression sleeves.  To be perfectly honest though, I only wore them because they are blue and blue/yellow attire was encouraged.  Big grin  I figured "Why not."  I liked wearing them though and will wear them again in races.

Runwell:  I've got a handful of races on the schedule before Hartford, starting with an Olympic distance duathlon in three weeks.  I can only do the Hartford Half this year and have already registered.  I won't have the time nor do I want the pressure of having to ramp up this summer for a full marathon.  I'll shoot for a spring 2014 marathon.

<3

RSX

Congrats and great race report. How was parking for it?

delicate flower

Congrats and great race report. How was parking for it?

No problem at all.  Easy in, plenty of spots in the garage, easy out.

<3