Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's National Hamburger WednesDaily (Read 21 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  SRD or a run with hubby.

Morning, Jerry!  How is your knee doing?

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!  SRD for me.  Unfortunately it is also a SDD (scheduled dentist day).  

Have a great day.  Enjoy the burgers.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Knee is great D.  Up to 6 miles LR, and 7 planned for this week.  20 miles last week.   Wish I could run the Chicago HM with you, but no way. Thanks for asking.

obiebyke

Hi, Jerry and Damaris!

I'm on to One Hour Runner. 35 minutes planned for after work today. It's getting to the point where I may need to trek down to the river instead of zig-zagging the neighborhood.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Crunch was the lovley noise my ankle made as I fell about 1 mile into my 6 mile run this morning. Debated calling an ambulance but hobbled home and made an appointment with an orthopedist instead which is in about an hour. Hoping for just a spain but the amount of pain I am in and the noise it made doesn't give me much hope Sad

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Crunch was the lovley noise my ankle made as I fell about 1 mile into my 6 mile run this morning. Debated calling an ambulance but hobbled home and made an appointment with an orthopedist instead which is in about an hour. Hoping for just a spain but the amount of pain I am in and the noise it made doesn't give me much hope Sad

OUCH!  I've twisted it several times and I know the pain and everything just sucks.  Good luck!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! I got to work just a smidge too late for fire extinguisher training, so I'll have to catch that in August. Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

Docket -- have fun with your either/or!!

Jerryb -- good luck at the dentist!!

obie -- a run by the river sounds nice!!

sapf -- oh no!!! Keep us posted, and hope it's nothing major!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Ouch, sapf!  Glad you made it home, and good luck at your appointment!

SRD and choir concert for DD.

Jerry- That's a great comeback you've made.  Glad to hear it.

obie- That's such a fun milestone to need to change up your route for a new distance.

D- Sorry about the lungs yesterday.  I was thinking about how tough it must be to get in races and workouts, since I know that with the kids at my school the most important (and toughest) thing to do when they are having, or close to having, an attack is to get them to calm down, which is the opposite of getting ready for a race or a workout.  That sounds really frustrating.

HsM- You slacker, you!  Wink  Enjoy rehearsal later.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It is.  I think that's why I am just going to run easy from now on (or at least until I get together with my Coach for my Chicago training).  The less I miss a workout, the more consistent I can run with this asthma.  The less I do speed work, the chances are I won't miss a workout.  Sigh.

For example, yesterday, I ended the workout at Mile 7. I stopped to breathe three times during the last mile and I ran it slower than 12mm (which is far from normal).  The body gets tired as the lungs are hawking all the oxygen so it's best not to run after that.  so, I missed 3 miles.  When this happens often, I miss a shit ton of training.  People don't understand how hard it is to run and race in this shit.  Most people do but the stupid that mock surprise me.

Damaris

Zelanie

Makes sense, but sounds really frustrating all the same.  Getting good mileage is the most important, I think.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It is.  Thanks.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

sapf: Oh man. I hope that it's nothing too serious. That stinks.

Everyone: Hi and thanks for the kind words on my RR. DW is already bothered by those 32 seconds and her mile 26 meltdown so she is searching for another marathon, likely in August or September. I knew it, as did many of you. Smile

I did three easy miles last night and felt ok. My legs have some fatigue in them but I will likely go out for a few more tonight. Plus, we have the staff v. students softball game today. I will likely play first base and just stand about.

Have a good day.

PADRunner

Morning all.

Hope everything is k sapf.

8 for me this morning. Gym tonight.

Philliefan33

Ouch sapf, that doesn't sound good.

Storms last night kept me inside, so it was yoga instead of running.  But that's ok, because I had a chance to do some baking and catch up on laundry.  Plus, it's much cooler today so my run this afternoon should be better than it would've been in 87º soup yesterday.