Beginners and Beyond

OK B&B- talk to me about Marathon training and racing for a novice. (Read 117 times)

MothAudio

Your half marathon time is better than your marathon time. (as is mine).

It's ironic that many runners avoid shorter distances and seek refuge in the longer distances because they perceive they lack speed / "suck at 5ks" when infact their 5k times are far superior to their half marathon or marathon times. Far more distance runners [these days] suffer from lack of endurance than lack of speed.

Mine too and my last two marathons I think I averaged 80 mpw for my schedule. Admittedly, neither as it turned out were ideal preps [for different reasons] despite the volume.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's ironic that many runners avoid shorter distances and seek refuge in the longer distances because they perceive they lack speed / "suck at 5ks" when infact their 5k times are far superior to their half marathon or marathon times. Far more distance runners [these days] suffer from lack of endurance than lack of speed.

Mine too and my last two marathons I think I averaged 80 mpw for my schedule. Admittedly, neither as it turned out were ideal preps [for different reasons] despite the volume.

It isn't until a runner gets up to the 60+ mpw level and does consistent speed work that they can really tell whether they are better suited for the marathon or the 5K. At the times when I've been at that level, AG ratings show my shorter distances clearly superior to my longer distances and there is a clear relationship between the race distance and AG rating with the AG rating decreasing as the race distance increases. Perhaps the best example of this is when I was 34 and training about 250 miles per month for almost 2 full years.

800m             - 76.4

mile                - 76.6

5K                   - 73.3

10K                 - 73.8

10M                 - 72.1

HM                   - 73.5

Marathon        - 70.7

The 10M race had a 3/4 mile long hill as well as some rolling hills that kept the time slow, otherwise note the drop from mile to 5K and a similar drop from HM to marathon. This is also an indication that the training for 5K through HM isn't all that different. The biggest changes in training are the jump from the mile on the track to 5K on the roads and from HM to marathon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

B-Plus

I've always used that 2x +10 rule, but +1 to Lurch.

DavePNW

I've always used that 2x +10 rule, but +1 to Lurch.

Hmm. Difference between marathon time & 2xHM time (along with training mpw):

#1 = 14 min (20-30 mpw)

#2 = 30 (40-50)

#3 = 22 (50-60)

#4 = 20 (60-70)

I think this means I suck at marathons, but I did not need this analysis to determine that.

Dave

MothAudio

Dave, or maybe you just need more attempts as four is a small sample size. While I set my PB in marathon number 3, on shit mileage, it really wasn't until marathon number 7 that I felt I knew what I was doing. And it wasn't until marathon number 20 that I really figured out how *I* needed to train.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

onemile

Hmm. Difference between marathon time & 2xHM time (along with training mpw):

#1 = 14 min (20-30 mpw)

#2 = 30 (40-50)

#3 = 22 (50-60)

#4 = 20 (60-70)

I think this means I suck at marathons, but I did not need this analysis to determine that.

I think it means you should go back to 20-30 mpw.

LRB

Bingo!

#ignoranceisbliss

DavePNW

Now that is a plan I can get behind. You ever think of taking up coaching?

That did strike me as pretty funny when I did the calculation, I had never looked at that before. It would be interesting to see how it's worked out for others. For no reason other than I like to look at numbers.

Dave

B-Plus

Bingo!

#ignoranceisbliss

There's a lot of that going around in this thread.

LRB

It would be interesting to see how it's worked out for others. For no reason other than I like to look at numbers.

Mileage in the 30's: 1:43 half 3:47 marathon.

Mileage in the 50's: 1:28 half 3:15 marathon.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Whatever happened to the double your half and add ten minutes? That was common 20 years ago.

That might work most of the time for a 1:20-1:40 HM, but it begins to fall apart when applied to a 2:00-2:30 HM.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Baboon

delicate flower

That did strike me as pretty funny when I did the calculation, I had never looked at that before. It would be interesting to see how it's worked out for others. For no reason other than I like to look at numbers.

For my current times, it is HM x 2 + 13 minutes.  1:35 and 3:23, respectively.  I've done a good job of narrowing that gap.  It was +28 prior to my last marathon.

<3

onemile

Mine have been:

1:59/4:28 (28 minutes, negative split - it was 80 degrees that day) - ~40 mpw

1:43:58/3:42:44 (15 minutes, negative split) ~ 58mpw

1:37/3:33 (19 minutes - I had wanted to run a 3:28 and was disappointed with this) ~62mpw

1:34/3:23 (15 minutes) ~60mpw

Double + 10 would match the McMillan prediction but I haven't been able to do that.

MothAudio

My 1st half marathon race was in 1991.

1991: 1:36:57 / 3:18:58 + 4:52 35.3 mpw

1993: 1:32:00 / 3:13:58 + 9:58 43.2 mpw

1994: 1:37:10 / 3:15:12 + 0:52 44.7 mpw

1995: 1:29:05 * / 3:12:23 + 14:13 44.9 mpw

2005: 1:54:30 / 3:30:00 - 19:00 56.8 mpw

2006: 1:38:26 / 3:30:21 + 11:08 45.7 mpw

2010: 1:37:47 / 3:29:16 + 13:26 80.0 mpw

* hot, hilly, humid 20k equivalent to a flat half.

No more marathons

1981  half = 1:21   full = 3:01    miles = 30     diff = 19

2012   half = 1:46    full = 3:47     miles = 41     diff = 15

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!