Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Hate Is A Strong Word... (Read 109 times)

#artbydmcbride

Ileneforward do you know what the elevation gain/loss of that hill was? I love hearing about other runners' hills and elevations in their areas, I am always amazed at the runners who handle runs with 800 ft + in elevation gain.

"There are also several pedestrian-only trails that travel between various parks and roadways. Hiking along these trails, as well as on the sidewalks in Signal Hill is very popular. Some sections can be found that are between a 15% and 25% grade"

It is 365 feet up Hill street,... it is marked closed to bicycles and skateboards due to the dangerous steepness.

In 1975 the first professional street luge race was held at Signal Hill. By 1978, however, the races were canceled because of injuries to racers and spectators.

Runners run

Will run for scenery.

I just pulled the trigger and signed up for 2 big events.

Leadville Marathon.  June 29, so I've got plenty of time to prepare. Big grin  I did the Leadville HM last year (15 mi) and I'm fool enough to go back for more.  This event will be all about "hours on foot".  But I know the secret to unlimited free beer at the finish line.  Shhh...

Aspen Valley Half Marathon.  July 20.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm actually planning to run this one, so I'm a little more nervous about it !  Tentative goal pace is 8:30.  (It's a long gradual downhill.)

And depending on how my summer unfolds, I'm toying with running my first "real" marathon in November.  But that's strictly in pencil for now.

Hey, these paragraph things are sweet, no ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Ha!  Good luck, crazy man!

I just pulled the trigger and signed up for 2 big events.

Leadville Marathon.  June 29, so I've got plenty of time to prepare. Big grin  I did the Leadville HM last year (15 mi) and I'm fool enough to go back for more.  This event will be all about "hours on foot".  But I know the secret to unlimited free beer at the finish line.  Shhh...

Aspen Valley Half Marathon.  July 20.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm actually planning to run this one, so I'm a little more nervous about it !  Tentative goal pace is 8:30.  (It's a long gradual downhill.)

And depending on how my summer unfolds, I'm toying with running my first "real" marathon in November.  But that's strictly in pencil for now.

Hey, these paragraph things are sweet, no ?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Gosh I can barely reach 300 feet with running 8 miles out near my house, my hills are tiny. And holy cow on those grades, I think my "biggest" has only been maybe 5%.... Awesome job on those.

Oh and thanks Scotty, that emoticon is awesome!

"There are also several pedestrian-only trails that travel between various parks and roadways. Hiking along these trails, as well as on the sidewalks in Signal Hill is very popular. Some sections can be found that are between a 15% and 25% grade"

It is 365 feet up Hill street,... it is marked closed to bicycles and skateboards due to the dangerous steepness.

In 1975 the first professional street luge race was held at Signal Hill. By 1978, however, the races were canceled because of injuries to racers and spectators.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Yay, Damaris!

Robert, I'm glad that DS is OK.

Nicole, congratulations on the 5K! Good luck with your new job.

jjs22, good luck with Leadville and Aspen! ExcitingSmile

4.13 miles with the run club in 38:18.75. 9:17 pace. Being outside felt wonderfulSmile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

5 mile run done with group - nice double today.

Basya....glad you had fun!

JJ...cool events!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Robert31320

Team TJ

Robert, I'm glad that DS is OK.

Smile

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Robert, how is he doing today?  I saw some of the FB posts but I've been on the go in the last two days.

Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Hey everyone. Good workout morning for me. I hit the track and did 6x200m (34, 36, 34, 35, 35, 34) and then 4x100m strides. Overall it was 6 miles, including the run to and from the track. It's amazing to think of all the people that have run sub-4 miles...I wasn't even hitting that pace in my 200s, and was working at about 95% effort.

You ever work on your mile time specifically?

Robert31320

Team TJ

He's back to normal tonight.  He had to have three teeth removed and the only way they can do that with him is to sedate him.  They were also able to get a full set of teeth x-rays on him, first ever.  No cavities, so I guess we are doing something right with that.

Robert, how is he doing today?  I saw some of the FB posts but I've been on the go in the last two days.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Good to know.

He's back to normal tonight.  He had to have three teeth removed and the only way they can do that with him is to sedate him.  They were also able to get a full set of teeth x-rays on him, first ever.  No cavities, so I guess we are doing something right with that.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Back from PT.  I am still allowed to run (yay), but reduced miles and only soft, flat surfaces for the week, and no heroic pushing through the pain crap.  He did a Graston-type thing in addition to my regular exercises.  I'm going to start using a tennis ball instead of a foam roller (yowch!), and got some advice on the squats on an incline so that I don't further aggravate things.  So I feel like I have a plan again that makes me feel like I am moving forward.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You ever work on your mile time specifically?

Negative, ghost rider. I'll probably race one through with the club at some point this year, but it'll just be run on the speed work associated with marathon training. At some point I really would like to get after the faster stuff, but I'm very marathon-centric for now.

What do you do 200s in? I bet Scap does them faster than either of us.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Back from PT.  I am still allowed to run (yay), but reduced miles and only soft, flat surfaces for the week, and no heroic pushing through the pain crap.  He did a Graston-type thing in addition to my regular exercises.  I'm going to start using a tennis ball instead of a foam roller (yowch!), and got some advice on the squats on an incline so that I don't further aggravate things.  So I feel like I have a plan again that makes me feel like I am moving forward.

Progress is good, even f it just means a plan of attack. At least you're not doing it on a lacrosse ball, although a tennis ball is still tough.

SIAR, excellent double.

Zelanie, the tennis ball sounds painful:/

Forty push-ups and ab work: done. I'm starting to feel nervous about beginning Daniels on Sunday.