Beginners and Beyond

Venting and bandits (Read 156 times)

Nevrgivup

So I'm running this 5K race this weekend and its capped at 5500 runners. So a friend/acquaintance of mine just posted that she is running it. I told her I was happy that she got in because the registration closed early. Well come to find out, she is running it without a number. She asked me what the bibs look like so that she doesn't stand out and said she was going to stick one on that was similar in appearance. UGH... Really?  I told her to make sure she doesn't cross the mat because it screws with the timing, but if its chipped it really shouldn't. I shouldn't really care, but I just think ethically its wrong for those that paid etc. Maybe its just me and the fact that I'm a rule follower. I know that most of you understand my frustration with this.

Evil

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

happylily

I don't like racing in crowded conditions and I would think that bandits don't help with that. I also pay my share to ensure the race is set up properly. I'd like to think that everyone does the same. But banditting is not a big crime that hurts others in a major way, I'll admit to that.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

I don't like racing in crowded conditions and I would think that bandits don't help with that. I also pay my share to ensure the race is set up properly. I'd like to think that everyone does the same. But banditting is not a big crime that hurts others in a major way, I'll admit to that.

Yeah, I know. I just think the way she said it, by slapping on a previous bib was wrong. Its not the worst crime though and I feel better now that I told her it would be obvious if the race isn't printed on the bib.

Hip Redux

Going the extra effort to forge a bib, nice.  lol  Aside from the lameness of it,  I don't get the point of banditing.  I can run 3 miles without an official time in my neighborhood, so why bother going through the effort to go to a race that won't count?

LRB

Can you even bandit a 5k?  I do not think I have ever heard of that!  That would be like eating a crap ton of fruit from the produce stand, then deciding you do not like any of it and walking away.

Can you even bandit a 5k?  I do not think I have ever heard of that!  That would be like eating a crap ton of fruit from the produce stand, then deciding you do not like any of it and walking away.

I am afraid I do not get that analogy at all.

But in any case - I guess it's been a couple months since the last bandit thread! Summary: Banditing is wrong, people shouldn't do it, and those who do it come up with the most creative rationalizations. But it's not a federal crime, so people probably shouldn't get too jacked up about it.

Dave

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

The consequences of getting caught as a bandit are just that you will get a ban from ever signing up for the race in the future and possibly get banned for that organizations future races so there really isn't anything solid in place to stop it.

I would bet that every race ever organized has been banditted by at least 1 person.  Hell even Boston Marathon gets banditted and they know it and don't do anything about it.

happylily

What I really  want to know is this: is it banditing or banditting? I get an error with both spellings... Confused

I don't normally care much, but I was very annoyed to find, when I read the results, that one of the small group of runners I chatted with for a mile or so had bandited a recent race.  It wasn't so much the banditing per se that bothered me, as that it was occurring at a very small (less than 100 finishers) charity race.  The race was benefitting research on a fatal childhood disease, and several children with the disease were there.  To bandit in those circumstances just seemed particularly crass.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Banditry ?

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

happylily

Banditry ?

Very good!

Urban Dictionary has banditing as a word used for road races. But I like banditry better. Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What I really  want to know is this: is it banditing or banditting? I get an error with both spellings... Confused

That's probably because the spell checker here doesn't recognize bandit as a verb. Bandited and banditted are also flagged. I would go with a single t as that follows the pattern for vomit, the only other verb I could readily think of that ends in it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I don't normally care much, but I was very annoyed to find, when I read the results, that one of the small group of runners I chatted with for a mile or so had bandited a recent race.  It wasn't so much the banditing per se that bothered me, as that it was occurring at a very small (less than 100 finishers) charity race.  The race was benefitting research on a fatal childhood disease, and several children with the disease were there.  To bandit in those circumstances just seemed particularly crass.

Yes, that's low.

Nevrgivup

I just think its funny how creative people will get. The bib thing makes me laugh. To even go that far.

LRB

I am afraid I do not get that analogy at all.

Taking something you did not pay for?  Yeah, I guess it was a bad analogy.  Roll eyes