Beginners and Beyond

Venting and bandits (Read 156 times)

RSX

What if you hire another bandit to trip her at the start?

I bandited Boston 1 year actually, and I'm not outing my friends.

happylily

What if you hire another bandit to trip her at the start?

I bandited Boston 1 year actually, and I'm not outing my friends.

Really? You could have told me this earlier... I'm not talking to you anymore.

Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Really? You could have told me this earlier... I'm not talking to you anymore.

Big grin

Wait how do I delete my post??

Mmmmm...beer

If you want to make a point, try this:

Offer to give your bib to your friend since she missed the registration.  Of course you don't want to but put her in a difficult position.  If she asks you why would you do that, tell her that you find banditry wrong and this way the race organizers do not get gypped.

She will do one of two things:

A. Refuse to take your bib whereby you can then say without pretense that it is wrong to run a race you don't pay for

B. She takes your bib at which point you realize she is not a friend but a louse.

Either way you come out on top and she has to make the ethical choice.

I agree completely, banditry is stealing, and just stupid.  As mentioned, I can go "race" any distance I want, on any course I want, without an official time.  I race because I want an official time (the afterparty is usually fun too, granted you can usually enjoy that when participating in banditry).

Today's PSA, gypped is an ethnic slur against the Romani people (or other nomadic groups).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

This thread just reminded me of one of the very few 10ks I've done. It was a local one, so not very many participants. It was a hot summer day and as usual, I started out too fast. I was fading by the end, but in the last mile, I was running side by side with a woman who looked like she was in my AG from what I could make of her from the corner of my eye. So I started pushing myself more, not wanting to let her pass me. No one else was around us and I was determined to cross the line before her. Well, I don't really know how it would have really ended, because I crossed the finish line alone. She ran on the side of the chute, at the same moment I was crossing the finish line, and only after I was done did I notice that she did not have a bib on her. I won my AG that day. I don't know if it would have been different if she had officially registered, but I was thankful that she ran with me, pushing me to run faster, but let me win in the end. Big grin

delicate flower

I really, really dislike folks who bandit races.  I actually take it a little personally.  "You paid your fee and you got into the sold out race, but I did neither and am running it anyway!  Neener neener neener!"

<3

I just think its funny how creative people will get. The bib thing makes me laugh. To even go that far.

Dwarfed by Kip Litton, who fabricated an entire marathon to win it, never mind his chip-mat cheating in races that actually existed.

RSX

2-3k people bandit Boston each year and I know 10 others who have done it.  It really isn't a big deal here. I ran the next 4 Bostons legit. I won't ever bother doing it again without a # because I want the medal.

I run a Thanksgiving 5k most years that always sells out. People show up on race day anyway trying to register, and the RD tells them to just run anyway.

Love the Half

2-3k people bandit Boston each year and I know 10 others who have done it.  It really isn't a big deal here. I ran the next 4 Bostons legit. I won't ever bother doing it again without a # because I want the medal.

I run a Thanksgiving 5k most years that always sells out. People show up on race day anyway trying to register, and the RD tells them to just run anyway.

If you have permission from the RD to run it, then you aren't a bandit.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I really, really dislike folks who bandit races.

Honestly, it does not really bother me at all, I just would not do it.  You do have that right though.

I once saw a chick scream at the top of her lungs at a guy who cut maybe three yards of a course during a 5k.  She was pissed!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wait how do I delete my post??

Haha. You cannot.  You're doomed for eternity.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Just because people do it does not make it right.  If the RD says OK, that is one thing, but I also think the people that wait until the day of the race to register knowing it will be full are taking advantage of the system.

Damaris

RSX

Just because people do it does not make it right.  If the RD says OK, that is one thing, but I also think the people that wait until the day of the race to register knowing it will be full are taking advantage of the system.

Why am I hearing my mom's voice right now?

happylily

Why am I hearing my mom's voice right now?

Running Boston without a registration is a sacrilege. That'll be three Hail Marys for you, young man.

(actually, I know that you've been doing volunteer work there for many years, so you are absolved. Go in peace)

tinman11

I read the results from a small race a few years ago.

One guy had his name & time posted in the results but in bold print beside his name it said BANDIT.

Not sure what the whole story was, but it sounds like the RD was giving him a little payback......