Beginners and Beyond

Race a half marathon just before marathon training? (Read 42 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

My next marathon cycle starts on December 28 and I have no clue as to what my GMP is or should be. Not that it matters but I plan on using the Pfitz 18/55 plan again. I ran a 5k two weeks ago in 21:03 but that is not a good indicator of a marathon time or GMP.  The question is: should I sign up for a HM on December 21 and race it the best I can to get a better idea of my GMP? If nothing else, I will have an accurate vDOT to give me my training paces. As some of you know I was injured for a while and came back slowly. I want to be smart about training so I don't get re-injured and that is the one thing that is giving me hesitation about racing a HM right before marathon training starts.

Thanks in advance for any comments or opinions.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think a race just prior to starting the program will give you a good indication of where you are at and then you can target the paces/effort based on that.  I would do it.  ETA, but I recover quickly, even after marathons.

Damaris

MothAudio

That would be a good reason to be concerned [in your case]. How long ago was the injury? Have you raced since or even performed quality workouts?

I know when I was coming back from my torn post-tib tendon I used the half maratyhon as my goal race - to measure my speed endurance. I was not fully recovered but I took that into consideration when I began. Three years later when I was healthy that was no longer a consideration and I was able to upshift my HM prep and race performance.

Six months later I managed to tweak the injury just before my formal marathon training was to begin so I was in a similar position as yourself. My concern was stayng healthy and unilke yourself I knew where my fitness was [based on the last half] and my goal [BQ].

If I were you I would ask myself if I'm favoring or concerned about the pre-condition. If so, I would abort applyng that much pressure before you even get started. If you do feel ready then you could consider looking for a shorter race. This would give you insight w/o all the stressors of a 13.1 mile race. You could even do the half but only race to 15k or the 10 mile mark. That to me would be an ideal distance.

Even when healthy and running high mileage I would not do what you're considering - race a half for the reasons given. I've come away from a half marathon as tramatized as I have from a marathon. It's just too much stress to use a time trial, something I'm able to replicate in training with a max workout [or even 7x1000m @ HM race pace is a good indicator of my fitness].

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I'm about to start a marathon cycle and there's no way I'd glean any useful info from a half right now. I'm not worrying about GMP until much later in the cycle.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Your 5K race will give you a much better assessment of your vDOT than a HM. The HM will give you a better assessment of your endurance. I think you should race the HM, then compare the different sets of equivalent times and training pace. It should show you where you stand it terms of where your endurance is and what you need to focus on in your training. Looking at your splits in the HM will also be useful regardless of whether you maintain an even pace or not. Depending on if or how much you fall off pace, you'll get a sense of where your tempo pace should be and what pace you should run for those Pfitz workouts designated GMP. (I think the designation of GMP is misleading. Take a look at McMillan's steady state runs. What you're looking for is an extended run at a "prorated" tempo pace. It really has little to do with your goal pace until you get into the second half of the training program when you're starting to get a hint of what might be a reasonable goal time.)

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Your 5K race will give you a much better assessment of your vDOT than a HM. The HM will give you a better assessment of your endurance. I think you should race the HM, then compare the different sets of equivalent times and training pace. It should show you where you stand it terms of where your endurance is and what you need to focus on in your training. Looking at your splits in the HM will also be useful regardless of whether you maintain an even pace or not. Depending on if or how much you fall off pace, you'll get a sense of where your tempo pace should be and what pace you should run for those Pfitz workouts designated GMP.  

This is pretty much what I did, trained at my 5k vdot value (which was also my 10k vdot value) for all training paces then adjusted my marathon race day pace in part according to my half marathon time.

That half marathon time suggested I lacked the endurance to carry the marathon pace I was training at for the duration of the race.

Had I been able to carry my half marathon pace for 13.1 miles, I would have attempted to race the marathon at my marathon training pace.

As with anything running related though, that is but one of a dozen ways to do it. One of the other ways may work just as well including using the upcoming half to set your marathon pace, if that is the path you choose.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks for the advice you guys. As always, it is much appreciated.

Moth: I was injured four months ago and took almost three weeks off. When I came back I did nothing but easy miles for six weeks and then I started mixing in Daniels speed workouts twice a week. Intervals and stuff... I ran a 5k two weeks ago and got a 21:03. I wouldn't say I am concerned with my previous condition, but it is in the back of my mind.

I just looked at race website again and there is also a 10k that day. Would that be a better choice?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think the HM will give you a better idea of where your fitness is.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

wc: Something I forgot to mention was that I have not yet run 13 miles since coming back. My longest run has been 11 and I was going for 12 tomorrow, easy pace. You are right, though. A HM is a better indicator.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't see any problem with that. If it concerns you, run a 12-14 mile LR this weekend or next. With the HM not being a goal race, rather a measure of where you are, an easy long run even the week before with a short taper should be fine.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K