Beginners and Beyond

I get so excited just registering for a race (noob alert) (Read 114 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

It's like, "Oh boy, I just signed up for another one!"  I suppose having a particular race in mind is always just a "possibility", but actually offically registering means the race is now a lock on the calendar.  It's even more exciting when the race sells out every year and you sign up in time, as is the case with today's registration.  Maybe someday that noob excitement of going through the registration process will wear off.  coolstorybro?

Anyway, how many races are you officially registered for at the moment?  I've got:

July 14:  Duathlon

Aug 10:  5K

Sept 28:  Half marathon

Oct 12:  Half marathon

Four might be a high for me.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am registered for every single one in my sigline and more that I have not included.

I don't think the excitement of signing up for a race ever goes away.  If there are marathons, the excitement is more.

Damaris

nolamama

CQTM

Very exciting about all your upcoming races. I'm currently just signed up for a half on October 12th. I keep looking for other races but there aren't a lot here in the summer. I'd like to find a 10k for July or August but it's too damn hot.

BruceD555

By the 3rd week of January I had already signed up for 4 FM for 2013 ... two are already done and two are left for this fall. I like to have those firm dates on the calendar to keep driving ahead with training.  I also end up doing a few local shorter races at various times throughout the year but those are a hit-and-miss affair based on weather and when they fall in the training schedule.

Train smart ... race smarter.

#artbydmcbride

Yeah, I am registered for a few.  It is exciting.  Smile

Runners run

Wandering Wally

June 29:  Marathon

August 17: Trail 50K

That's enough for me for this year.  I might pick up a last minute half or something in the fall, but for now I'm planning to be in maintenance phase in September-November.  I get most excited when I register for something that will be a new challenge.  Like a new distance, a new type of terrain, etc.  I don't get very excited about repeat performances, which is probably why I rarely run a race more than once.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Don't worry, I get super excited too... and I race at least once a month lol....

I've got:

July 4th: 10K

July 13th: 5K

July 14th: 10K

October 12th: Half marathon

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I get nervous.  Will I complete what I just registered for or will it become one of the many "shirts I own for events I have DNS'd?"

DavePNW

I don't do that many races so I guess they are all a big deal for me. Registration is more a combination of excitement, anxiety & dread. I am still nooby enough that I am never quite sure I am going to be ready, so generally avoid signing up too far in advance.

I only have one right now, Detroit Marathon on 10/20. That was sort of a roller coaster ride; I was pretty sure I wanted to do it, but put off registering as I usually do. And of course they sold out way early, so I missed out & was pretty bummed. But then they opened up additional spots the next day, so I decided I better not pass up the 2nd chance I was given, and signed up right away.

Dave

Will run for scenery.

Yeah, signing up is still pretty exciting.  For Imogene Pass (a gorgeous trail run near Telluride) I had the reg date on my calendar for 11.5 months, with 3 notifications.  On reg day I set my alarm for 5:30 AM so I'd be ready.  Registration started at 6:00.  Kinda stressful filling out all the data on my phone, but I was done by 6:10 or so.  (Race was full by 8:30.)  Afterwards I took a little recovery nap and had me a celebratory breakfast.

Mmmmm.... naps and breakfast.  Good stuff!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

nolamama

CQTM

Yeah, signing up is still pretty exciting.  For Imogene Pass (a gorgeous trail run near Telluride) I had the reg date on my calendar for 11.5 months, with 3 notifications.  On reg day I set my alarm for 5:30 AM so I'd be ready.  Registration started at 6:00.  Kinda stressful filling out all the data on my phone, but I was done by 6:10 or so.  (Race was full by 8:30.)  Afterwards I took a little recovery nap and had me a celebratory breakfast.

Mmmmm.... naps and breakfast.  Good stuff!

Here are some pics of the Aspen HM. My bro & SIL took these a couple of years ago. It looks amazing!! (I saw this race in your sig).

Nevrgivup

Please pass some of that excitement on to me. Since Boston, its pretty much gone for me. I used to get so excited. Now I'm just happy if I run. Sorry to be a Debbie downer. I've been running long enough to say though that the excitement never really goes away especially since you are training. This is just different.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

GinnyinPA

I've been wary of signing up for races too far in advance, because last year's injury meant I forfeited about $160 in race fees.  I tend to go for races I can do on the spur of the moment, if the weather is good and my body feels ready.  Since most of our local races are pretty small, that isn't a problem; they just charge more for race day registration.  However, there were two local races that were half price if you signed up at a certain time, so I'll be running the Mad Anthony HM on Sept. 14th and the Christmas Cash Dash 10K on Dec. 7th.  I figure I can afford to lose $25 if something happens so I can't run either.  Having the HM to look forward to has really motivated me to build my base in preparation.  I think without that, I'd be a 15 mpw runner.  Instead, I run more often, longer, and more consistently than I would without the race as a lure.

Love the Half

Please pass some of that excitement on to me. Since Boston, its pretty much gone for me. I used to get so excited. Now I'm just happy if I run. Sorry to be a Debbie downer. I've been running long enough to say though that the excitement never really goes away especially since you are training. This is just different.

I think a lot depends on what you are trying to get out of a race.  I'm signed up for a couple of local 5K's that I'm not at all sure I'm going to run all out (I'm doing one because a friend is the RD and another because I'm trying to support a cause) so I had no particular excitement in signing up for them.  I'm signed up for the Charleston Distance Run but I sign up for that every year and don't get excited about it.  Same thing for when I sign up for the Indy Mini.  OTOH, I signed up for the Marshall University Marathon in November and that's going to be my sub 3:00 attempt so I was excited when I signed up for it.  Similarly, I was excited when I signed up for Boston.

I suppose what I am saying is that if the race means a lot to me then I get excited for it but if I'm running just because I'm supporting a cause or just because it fits in my calendar, then I don't get all worked up.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Sloooow.

I registered for a 5K in late November the first hour of registration, lol. Mainly because it's the anniversary race for my first 5K. I'm considering registering for some in September, I just don't know how much heat I can tolerate.

I love registering Smile