Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 39 times)

Dad on the run.

No, I've read a few articles that talk about running through the recovery which is currently what I am trying to do. Once I get the foam roller and its still not showing any signs of getting better I may use an extended break as a last resort kinda thing.

You still dealing with that thing, that's odd.  Have you taken an extended break?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jess runs for bacon

No, I've read a few articles that talk about running through the recovery which is currently what I am trying to do. Once I get the foam roller and its still not showing any signs of getting better I may use an extended break as a last resort kinda thing.

Rest didn't help my ITB issues. Did you check out the strength running rehab routine?

outoftheblue

Recovering from my first ever 50+ mile week last week.   So yesterday was an SRD, but today I think I will try to get in a few easy miles.  I've signed up for a HM this Sunday just to see what happens, even though I haven't got the time to train and taper for it properly.  It's always fun to get up early and run with a crowd, regardless of time.

Sorry to hear about sickness and injuries among so many forumites.  Get well quickly!

Granite Running -- you need to change your tag line -- "obsession fulfilled"  ?

Life is good.

Dad on the run.

I have seen some strengthing routines for ITB issues. I usually try to hit my hip adductors and abductors using a machine at the gym. I also do weighted squats as well as walking and side lunged (also weighted). I do legs once a week but I think I am going to start doing some body weight leg workouts too at home.

Rest didn't help my ITB issues. Did you check out the strength running rehab routine?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the 6 miles, Damaris. Hope all your body parts behave!

The Sox need the rest, baboon, so they can put it away in Game 6.  Hope you get some rest tonite too.

Hope you feel better, Step. Some days are like that.   Get some rest, shrug it all off, and you'll be back in no time running great again, I'm sure.

At least you got out the door, Kristin, that's better than a lot of folks do.  Sorry this morning that you were....

Ugg, that does not sound nice, Majorie, popping a hip.  Hope it did help though.  As I get older I notice my old bones 'snap, crackle, and pop' more, lol.  Congrats on your 6.8.  That distance for me would be pushing, lol.

Congrats on your longer intervals, Zelanie!

Good luck with your post-work miles, granite.  Nothing like being prepared!  And mucho success with your informal training plan.

Goodbye shorts and running skirts.  Bummer, Beth.   That's why I like living in a warm-weather area...the Great Legs can stay out all year long!  Big grin  Enjoy your week off from running after your great marathon!

Congrats on the 5, Ric!

It looks like the Indy Monumental Half will begin in the 30's though.  BRRRR!  I'd be wearing a parka!  Good luck with that!

Jimmy, it sucks that you have to settle for the 'pain being tolerable' and nobody can figure out how to fix this for you.  You have a lot of heart, though, still getting out there.  Much luck!

Sorry about the fail, B-Plus.  Like me, you must not be much of a morning person.  I can get up and run in the morning if I have to...but I much prefer PM running.

Congrats on the 50-mile week, outoftheblue!    Good luck with the half!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

So quick random question, anyone use or have used the ibungee speed laces?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

LRB

Rest didn't help my ITB issues.

I was forced to cut a 6 mile run short 2 miles in because of the pain.  Along with changing up the way I ran my routes (repetition), the type of shoes I wore, and doing stability exercises, I voluntarily took a seat on the bench.

I cannot credit any one thing over the other because I am unsure which helped the most. Jimmy has been posting about this problem for quite some time but I did not remember him mentioning rest so that is why I asked.

I took five weeks off right when the problem surfaced and during that time I worked on being able to balance myself in various positions on one leg for extended periods.  That was forever ago and I have not heard a peep from my IT band since, but as with all of these things your mileage may vary.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Guys, like I've said before, ITB is not a cause of injury.  No matter how much you rest the ITB, until you find the cause, it won't go away.  And most of the time, the cause is not the ITB!

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I know mine was, pain straight from the hip to the knee on the outside and taking a step back and resting and starting slowly back up again did wonders and I haven't had any trouble there since. Joking

Guys, like I've said before, ITB is not a cause of injury.  No matter how much you rest the ITB, until you find the cause, it won't go away.  And most of the time, the cause is not the ITB!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

ITB is blamed because of the area but most studies are showing it is not the band itself that is injured but the irritation of the fat pad close by where the ITB inserts.  The cause is usually mechanics of your running.  Working the core and having a good balance is important (meaning that you dont' have a bunch of tight hamstrings, weak core, adductors etc) and your shoes are good.  Also avoiding to much hill work when recovering is important.

Marjorie

LRB

I think we are all saying the same thing regarding the IT band, just in the ways it affected us individually.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Greetings from beautiful downtown Charlotte, NC!  Hope everyone's doing well.

Guess what I did today (besides drive 350 miles)?  That's right - I RAN!  First run since my half. 3.55 miles, about a 9:40 pace.  I think that if I keep the runs relatively short, I can do 2 or 3 runs a week. We'll see how I feel tomorrow though. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Jess runs for bacon

I was forced to cut a 6 mile run short 2 miles in because of the pain.  Along with changing up the way I ran my routes (repetition), the type of shoes I wore, and doing stability exercises, I voluntarily took a seat on the bench.

I cannot credit any one thing over the other because I am unsure which helped the most. Jimmy has been posting about this problem for quite some time but I did not remember him mentioning rest so that is why I asked.

I took five weeks off right when the problem surfaced and during that time I worked on being able to balance myself in various positions on one leg for extended periods.  That was forever ago and I have not heard a peep from my IT band since, but as with all of these things your mileage may vary.

I ran two half marathons with it. Talk about wanting to hurl from pain. Sorry, didn't mean to say your suggestion was a bad one at all. I agree with not knowing the real "cure" though. my did find out for sure my shoes were triggering it, but it was always there. You did myrtl, right?

I just remember resting before one of those halves, not having any pain, then race weekend being crippled. It was the shoes, of course, I normally nevER walked in my sneakers, but when I travel I don't like to carry lots of shoes. So my stability shoes set it off. Therapy was the only thing that I can really trace though that made it stop. So I keep doing it, god I don't want that shit again.

Jess runs for bacon

And, also, I hate the auto correct on ipad. I could fix errors, but I already had some wine, so tough.

LRB

I'm stuck in traffic and starving.  If I had some salt, I would eat my hand!