Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Setting Guinness World Record! (Read 45 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hello Penguins!

My wife and I set a Guinness World record! Well we were 2 of 9592 people who set it last Saturday. We got dressed up like zombies and went to the Asbury boardwalk where we were counted in as the largest group of zombies in a single location! We actually look pretty good and get photographed a lot. It is an amazing feeling to be photographed by so many people over and over again.

As for running - I ran 6.2 miles with 6x15 second hill sprints. I calculated my sprint pace and it was 5:00 - you're going to have to run pretty fast to get away from this zombie!

Jblack - Here are the Ryan Hall Half plan - Plan  There is a pace chart but the link isn't good anymore.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Mum and baby girl are discharged today.

No no running since Monday. Will see how this affect my training.

Went  to see the doc and mentioned abt my childhood asthma. He listened to my breathing/chest and said doesn't look like it. I was to lookout for wheezing sound. He will arrange a test if required. Finger crossed.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Gustav, congrats on the run and also being part of the Guinness record. That's something special.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good morning! Gustav that is so so cool!!!

I am off work today to go down to Baltimore for my race. I haven't run since Sunday cuz of this dumb cold. Plan right now is to have an easy jog to yoga class, which I am going to take at 8:45 (yoga does miracles for me in terms of loosening my muscles so figured a yoga class before I head out could only do me well!), and then jog back. The yoga studio is a mile. Hopefully my legs still work!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

6-7 miles at tempo pace later today.  Looks like I will get wet.

Bin Running

Managed to squeeze in a 4M in between diaper change.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Congrats Gustav!  They tried to set a record here recently for the most pirates gathered at one time, but fell short of the goal.

URD yesterday, 8 miles done this morning, great run!

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Way to go, Zombie Gustav!  You should post some of the photos...you didn't get any for yourself?  Wow, you are getting quite speedy too!   I don't have to worry about zombies cuz zombies eat brains, right?  Therefore..I'm pretty safe... Joking   Someone like Albert Einstein would be a power food for them, right?

Welcome home to your little family, Bin!  Sorry to hear you are still dealing with cough, etc.   Hope it all resolves soon now, you've been dealing with this for a while.  Congrats on getting 4 miles in between diaper changes!

Kristin, hope your easy jog goes well, and the yoga helps.  Sorry about the continuing cold.  Safe trip to Baltimore and since your boyfriend lives in Maryland (right?), maybe a good chest massage will help with the cold. Wink   Hope you feel better! Have fun at the expo, and good luck with your race!

Happy tempo run, Margo!  Nothing wrong with rain running, as long as there is no lightning.  Stay safe out there!

Way to go on the morning miles, Dave!

AFM:  I had a really great run/walk last night, 3.5 miles.   Went to Hardberger Park, a local park named for one of our past San Antonio mayors.   Really nice trails, lots of shade, a dog park within the park and lots of doggies to treat along my way.  Weather was lovely, 83 degrees, 50% humidity, dew-point of 58. After I finished, I was at my car getting ready to leave and a young lady parked next to me asked if she could have a photo of me in my "I BEAT CANCER! NEVER GIVE UP!" shirt to show her grandfather who is dealing with his cancer right now.  I told her to wait a second and then went into my car where I keep a few extras of my cancer shirts and gave it to her and told her to give it to her grandfather with good wishes from me.  And she gave me a "thanks" hug.... and THEN she started crying!  Dang, I really didn't mean to get her all 'emotional' and apologized to her.  She said it was okay, they were 'good tears' and then jokingly told me next time I do that for anyone wait until AFTER they take the photo cuz it's hard to see the photo subject when your eyes are wet.  lol. Very nice young lady and I wish her grandfather all the best.

Rest day today and then doing a 5K tomorrow that supports the Marfan Foundation.  It starts and finishes at a very good local restaurant, Los Patios, so we will have breakfast tacos waiting for us at the finish, nice!   This will be Race #56 for me for the year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Scotty, wonder if Zombies have great legs that you could chase? Joking

Margo, sometimes, the wet runs are nice, but if your weather is getting cool, maybe not so nice.

Gustav, nice run, and some speed too. I really like the RH plan you posted for Jimmy. My second time was a charm, first time, the speed work kicked my butt to the point I couldn't do it. Jimmy, a word of caution, and I think that Jack will back me up, be careful if you use this RH plan. You should probably drop one of the speed work days to an easy run.

I'm taking a RD in prep for tomorrow's 15k and FE with Traci. There is another forumite that's on one of my miles teams, that I might get to meet too. I also have a few people from my running club that will be there. Now, if I just didn't have to work tonight, Disapprove.

Hi everyone, see ya tonight.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Got 4 in last night on the bum knee.  (seems to be healing quickly....THANK GOD!!)  My body seems to have taken this dip in "health score" like a video game character lately.  Gotta get outta that rut!

Good job all & MAN, that story pulls on the heart strings, Scotty!!!  Crazy, cool, though that you keep extra shirts.  If she knew the celebrity you carried here, her grandfather would wear the shirt for photo-ops only. Wink

Randy

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the record Gus.

Scotty, do you ever have a boring run?

Haven't decided on today's running venue, but it will be gorgeous.  Possibly Green Bay Trail on the North Shore.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy October 11th!  This day in history, in 1984, Space shuttle Challenger astronaut, Kathryn Sullivan, became the first American woman to walk in space.

Today's Holidays

World Egg Day

National Sausage Pizza Day

National Family Bowling Day

National Costume Swap Day  - Meet with friends, neighbors, classmates, etc., and swap some costumes around in anticipation of Halloween

"It's My Party!" Day - have a party today for whatever reason you want!

humpty dumpty, eggshells, pieces, put together, art, sculpture, found objects art,

little bo peep, Humpty Dumpty, flirt, egg nogg,

KEYWORD1  2011-04-27  medical  medicine  health  healthcare  health care   doctor  doctors  physicia

KEYWORD1  2011-12-01  bear  bears  anthropomorphic  goldilocks and the three bears  fairy tale  fair

KEYWORD1  2005-12-28  food  foods  eat  eating  restaurant  restaurants  pizza  chuck e. cheese

KEYWORD1  2010-05-31  app  apps  iphone  smartphone  iphones  smartphones  cell phone  cellphones

bowling cartoons, bowling cartoon, bowling picture, bowling pictures, bowling image, bowling images, bowling illustration, bowling illustrations

bowling cartoons, bowling cartoon, bowling picture, bowling pictures, bowling image, bowling images, bowling illustration, bowling illustrations

bowling, golf carts,

KEYWORD1  1995-08-04  family  families  parent  parents  parenting  mom  moms  mother

mummy, costume, unknown friend, halloween

scary costume, acme worker, Wylie E. Coyotes

KEYWORD1  2012-01-12  wolf  wolves  animal  animals  anthropomorphic  mammal  mammals  relationship

costumes cartoons, costumes cartoon, costumes picture, costumes pictures, costumes image, costumes images, costumes illustration, costumes illustrations

costumes cartoons, costumes cartoon, costumes picture, costumes pictures, costumes image, costumes images, costumes illustration, costumes illustrations

office party cartoons, office party cartoon, office party picture, office party pictures, office party image, office party images, office party illustration, office party illustrations

KEYWORD1  2011-08-08  parody  parodies  cop  cops  police  policeman  policemen  police officer

KEYWORD1  2008-09-01  parody  parodies  batman  dc comics  bat signal  commissioner gordon  christma

KEYWORD1  2008-07-08  louisiana  new orleans  mardi gras  bourbon street  50000 b.c.  caveman  cavem

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on the record Gus.

Scotty, do you ever have a boring run?

Haven't decided on today's running venue, but it will be gorgeous.  Possibly Green Bay Trail on the North Shore.

Yes, if I run downtown near the City Government buildings...or in Austin past the State Capitol where our Legislature meets....the BORING seems to seep out of those places...  Wink

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I had chorus last night, and I have coaching for chorus tomorrow.  So just to make a singing trifecta, I've scheduled a PVI (Personal vocal instruction) with the coach tonight.  Should be really good, an hour of vocal instruction just for ME!!!  The only problem is that I have to get home from work, have dinner, and get over to my director's house, so the PVI will be from 8:00 - 9:00.  Where is my beauty sleep??  I have to be in town for coaching at 9AM tomorrow morning, ack!

Gustav -- the zombie group sounds fun!!

Bin -- welcome home to your wife and daughter!!

kristin -- hope the cold is moving out!!

Phillie -- yeah, the rain is still drizzly here too.

D2 -- glad your 8 was great!!

scotty -- sounds like an awesome run and a great meeting!!

hog -- have fun tomorrow!!

red -- glad your knee is cooperating!!

Jerryb -- have fun on your gorgeous run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.