Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #37 (Read 29 times)

bluerun

Super B****

We don't really know what year they were run though... maybe some are newer and some are older

They're all within the last year or two

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Unrelated to anything, but that's okay since I'm the queen of non sequiturs... does anyone else see anything, um... "off" about this? (It helps if I include that the marathons range from 4:18 to 5:55.)

Mile 5:23
      HM: 1:35
      5k: 18:33
      10M: 1:10
      18M: 2:37
      HMx29 Mx7

What I see is a glitch on the last line. Sorry, but sine I build software for a living, that's the first thing I spot because I have to fix that.

DavePNW

The reviewer on RW seemed to be much happier with the Hyperion Elite. 

https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a30731582/brooks-hyperion-elite-running-shoe-first-look/

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Those paces are much faster than anything I'm familiar with  

But I know my Coach runs around that 5k right now and her HM is at least 10 mins faster.

Yes... this is what I was getting at. Someone who can run that fast at shorter distances shouldn't have such an issue breaking four hours in a marathon. Except in shorter distances you can get away with being elite in your mind... it gets harder when the distance is longer. (This wouldn't bother me so much except this is the person who hates me because I beat him at the Turkey Trot a couple of years ago after he tried elbowing me into the bike lane, and ever since then it seems like he's turned me into his personal competition, which makes no sense.)

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

What I see is a glitch on the last line. Sorry, but sine I build software for a living, that's the first thing I spot because I have to fix that.

I don't even know what this means

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

List of PRs. Belonging to the same person.

Well yes I figured that, just thought there might be more background. Anyway one guess is that longer distances were on trails, shorter distances on the road.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Well yes I figured that, just thought there might be more background. Anyway one guess is that longer distances were on trails, shorter distances on the road.

That would make sense. But nope, all road races.

chasing the impossible

onemile

Yes... this is what I was getting at. Someone who can run that fast at shorter distances shouldn't have such an issue breaking four hours in a marathon. Except in shorter distances you can get away with being elite in your mind... it gets harder when the distance is longer. (This wouldn't bother me so much except this is the person who hates me because I beat him at the Turkey Trot a couple of years ago after he tried elbowing me into the bike lane, and ever since then it seems like he's turned me into his personal competition, which makes no sense.)

is that why they don't list the marathon PR?

bluerun

Super B****

is that why they don't list the marathon PR?

This is my guess

chasing the impossible

Cyberic

Cyber--I'd also skip workouts until your groin is 100%. Since speed during winter gives you issues, how about more easy hill running instead? ("hills are speed in disguise")

We hear that all the time, but I do not know what the rationale (sorry if this is not an English word) is behind it. I did a bit of hill work when snow started, but I did not find it translated well into speed when I tried to run fast. It works the leg muscles, it gets the heart pumping fast, it works on proper form, so hills are definitely worth something but yeah, running fast seems to need its own focused training.

But you do bring an interesting alternative. Even if it's not a 1:1 alternative to speed IMO, it is most certainly better than to just run easy all the time.

The problem with hills in the winter is that going up is fine, but coming back down can be pretty treacherous. So what I have found I can do, most of the time, is find a hill that is 1- I can run on, and 2- clear of ice, and go up and down that hill for the whole workout.

onemile

We hear that all the time, but I do not know what the rationale (sorry if this is not an English word) is behind it. I did a bit of hill work when snow started, but I did not find it translated well into speed when I tried to run fast. It works the leg muscles, it gets the heart pumping fast, it works on proper form, so hills are definitely worth something but yeah, running fast seems to need its own focused training.

But you do bring an interesting alternative. Even if it's not a 1:1 alternative to speed IMO, it is most certainly better than to just run easy all the time.

The problem with hills in the winter is that going up is fine, but coming back down can be pretty treacherous. So what I have found I can do, most of the time, is find a hill that is 1- I can run on, and 2- clear of ice, and go up and down that hill for the whole workout.

I was disappointed that after doing so many hill workouts with Kim (and not just easy running hills, it was a hard workout like 6-8x 2 minutes at 5k effort up hill) I basically felt like I got no benefit from them when I tried to actually run fast.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If you didn't go into the menu and set it to get the pace and distance from the Stryd then you're getting it from the internal accelerometer, which is notoriously whack.

I did and mine is taking all that from the Stryd. If I didn't change to indoor or TM it's the same setting as the run outdoors which is set as always from Stryd.

Damaris

DavePNW

That would make sense. But nope, all road races.

Then I’m at a loss. Especially with 29 HMs - it’s not like they just tried the distance once or twice. If you are running that kind of 5k, even if you don’t do any HM-specific training, you ought to be able to roll out of bed and run a much faster HM than that.

Dave

LRB

I did and mine is taking all that from the Stryd. If I didn't change to indoor or TM it's the same setting as the run outdoors which is set as always from Stryd.

I will shut up then.

bluerun

Super B****

Then I’m at a loss. Especially with 29 HMs - it’s not like they just tried the distance once or twice. If you are running that kind of 5k, even if you don’t do any HM-specific training, you ought to be able to roll out of bed and run a much faster HM than that.

That's the thing. It took me a few Al Goldstein 5Ks to wise up to the fact that it was stupid for me to pass everyone going up the hill, because they all passed me back in the last mile. But I LEARNED. He apparently never will. Because at the HM this past weekend, someone announced himself as the unofficial 1:30 pacer, and by mile 3, I and two other guys had become the tail end of that group. This person was tagging along, gasping and panting like he was having a stroke. You should not sound like that at mile 3 of a HM.

He ended up running just under 1:40, and he was happy with that because it was only his second or third time doing it. Which begs the question: if sub-1:40 is a good time for you, and you recognize that, what the hell are you doing trying to hang with someone you know is pacing 1:30?! I just don't get it.

chasing the impossible