Beginners and Beyond

Race Report: 2013 Jerusalem Marathon (Read 139 times)

I arrived in Tel Aviv mid-Tuesday morning and was in Jerusalem an hour or so later. I've been staying in an apartment about a quarter mile from the convention center where the expo was held and a mile from the Knesset, the start, and a mile from Sacher Park, the finish.

I haven't felt tired. I've been walking five to six miles per day, exploring, shopping, going out to eat, running errands for friends back in the U.S.. I haven't used public transportation or a taxi yet.

Tuesday, after settling into the apartment, I walked to Mea Shearim and Geula, two religious neighborhoods about three-quarters of a mile from the apartment, and bought some clothes for the Sabbath. I had lunch at Uri's Pizza. I don't even like pizza. And I think this place's pizza is amazing.

I received my race packet at the expo Tuesday evening. I had some difficulty figuring out how to attach the chip to one of my shoes. The expo was boring for me. Sure, lots of major vendors, e.g., the Mauritius Marathon, Saucony, New Balance, Salomon, Mizuno, Extreme Eyewear, Lapierre Bikes, Spidertech, Herbalife, Shvoong, Oakley, Footbalance, Ravensport, Solgar, Under Armour, Brooks, Gu, Adidas, MDS Pharm, Almawin, were there, but there was nothing I couldn't buy back in the Boston area. I left earlier than I'd expected. I went to Cafe Rimon, where I had fettuccine alfedo, and yummy cheesecake. After dinner and dessert, I wandered around the Old City.

Wednesday morning, I did my usual push-ups and ab work, then ran two miles along Yafo. I stopped at a cafe at the corner of Yafo and King George for two bourekas before returning to the apartment for a shower. I shopped a bit, wandered around the Old City some more, then returned to the Binyanei Ha'Uma (the Jerusalem Convention Center), for the second day of the marathon expo. I watched a free Zumba class. It looked like fun. Unfortunately for me, it's mixed gender. (I don't participate in mixed dancing. More disappointment came when I learned that the falafel/shawarma joint on King George, which I enjoyed so much last year is no moreSad

Thursday morning, I walked to a cafe near the Old City. I ate a breakfast of brown bread, shakshuka (eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce), and a small salad. Yum! I walked a lot more than five miles. I wandered through the Muslim Quarter to distract myself from stressing over the race and something back in Boston that had been bothering me. After that excursion, I stopped at Itzik Aviav, where I was given the best pedicure and manicure ever; I left with feet and hands, not hooves and paws, as well a plans for Friday-night dinner with the nail technician. That evening, I went to the pasta feed, and, after that, to another cafe for an herbal tea and dessert. The poor maple cheesecake was no match for me.

Today was race day. I was at the start by 6:15. I jogged a quarter mile, stretched, and walked around, to stay warm. It was cold! I kept looking at my Garmin for 7:00, just to start really moving.

When the mayor squeezed the trigger of the starting pistol I was elated. My iPhone started my run with Iron Maiden's "2 Minutes to Midnight", which helped me go out a bit too fast. I willed myself to go more slowly. I was fine until mile five, when I felt a need to use the facilities; I took a five-minute-or-so break at mile ten, to use a porta-potty. Then, I hit the road again. The whole route was rolling hills. I was OK until mile 24.4, when I hit a street called Kovshei Katamon. It has an incline of approximately 8.0. It's a short street, but not pleasant, after having been on my feet so long. I felt better as soon as the next decline appeared, but I was cursing Kovshei Katamon to the end.

The finish felt amazing. I'd just toured a wonderful city while doing something I love. Water stations were every 1.5-2.0 miles. Water was in eight ounce bottles, to help the runners more easily drink while moving. Guides were positioned along the route, directing runners according to the race (marathon, HM, 10K) they wrote running. Security was tight. Police officers patrolled the entire route, as well as the starts and finish. Army officers were visible in their uniforms with their rifles. I was surprised at how many people cheered the runners because it's Friday and I expected everyone to be preparing for the Sabbath. Everyone, except for the occasional guard who looked as if he were wishing that he were doing something else, smiled and offered words of encouragement.

All in all, I had a blast. (Except for my Garmin losing satellite reception while I was under a bridge.) A well-run race. Supportive staff. I'd do this again, hilly hills or not. Having run a marathon this hilly, I feel comfortable running another one this fall.

Later, peeps. The Sabbath is coming soon.  

happylily

So exciting! I love how you describe your time spent in the city! I would LOVE to go there sometime in the near future. Would love to run that marathon, in fact. Congratulations on your first marathon, Basya! (it was your first, right?) You trained so well for this... You always impress me with your hard workouts. But I didn't see your finish time anywhere? (though I know what it is because of your sig... :-))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congratulations, Basya!  Awesome job on a tough course.  I've never been to Israel but you made it feel alive in your RR.  Thanks for sharing and congrats again.

I saw your pics in FB and the shakshuka caught my attention.  Something I'm going to be researching to make.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

She posted it on the dailies.  Go check!

So exciting! I love how you describe your time spent in the city! I would LOVE to go there sometime in the near future. Would love to run that marathon, in fact. Congratulations on your first marathon, Basya! (it was your first, right?) You trained so well for this... You always impress me with your hard workouts. But I didn't see your finish time anywhere? (though I know what it is because of your sig... :-))

Damaris

delicate flower

Congratulations, Baysa!  Sounds like you had a fun time.  That must be interesting to see armed military personnel along the marathon route.

<3

delicate flower

It's in her signature too.

<3

Outstanding! Sounds like the experience of a lifetime.

Shabbat shalom!

Dave

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

That's so awesome!  Congrats Smile

happylily

I know her time.:-) But she should include it in her RR, for others to see. It's a great time on such a hilly course and with a 5 min porta-potty stop!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

BruceD555

Awesome recap of your time in Jerusalem and the race. It sounds like you had an all around fabulous trip ... minus the missing falafel joint and that pesky Kovshei Katamon. I would so love to visit Israel someday but now your report gives me another reason to go. I had wondered about the security during the race, but it sounds like they were well prepared (I guess that comes with the territory). Fabulous race and I hope you're able to share some pictures with us when you get back.

Train smart ... race smarter.

RSX

Congrats and such an interesting race report.

MrNamtor

All in all, I had a blast.

Lol my mind read this as "And then i heard a blast". Which definitely could have happened.

Great RR though! I need to visit Israel. I have relatives in Jerusalem.

Love the Half

One of the things on my bucket list is to do a race outside of the United States.  Sounds like you had a great experience.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Robert31320

Team TJ

Excellent RR and congrats on a great race.  Enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Running for TJ because he can't.

outoftheblue

Awesome job and congrats marathoner!    I love your attitude -- It's really great that you were able to enjoy the city and savor the whole experience.

Life is good.