Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday <<High Energy>> Penguins (Read 33 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Williamsburg, VA

Have fun. Where are you going?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, Penguins!!  We picked up several inches of snow yesterday, and combining that with the fact that I'm still fighting off a cold, I stayed home and slept.  So now I'm better, although not quite well, and I have a crazy rest of the week on tap.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!  I'm also hoping to get out for another short walk.

Here's a pic from my house early Monday:

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Hopesmom, that's beautiful.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

I thought it was really pretty too, especially since we didn't lose power this time!!  Turns out I am much more tolerant of snowstorms when I have heat and flushing toilets.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Gorgeous, Hope's Mom!

I am waiting for the doctor to call me but she told me it is OK to pick Trixie up today.  Let's hope she gets better at home!

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Gus: I like rest days like that. Those are the intervals that I won't quit.

D2: Wow, another HM coming up? Those are close.

Docket: Good luck with kitty.

Jerry: Where is DD now?

Kristin: Have fun in VA. Bring the tights!

Scotty: You can walk/jog to the race on April fool's day and you've got an instant warm up. Smile

Awood: Be safe out there.

Bin: I like avacado and I like ice cream, but I hope that tastes better than it sounds...

Hopesmom: Nice!!

As for me, seven or eight very easy miles later while DD is swimming. It's funny(or strange), but I am just now figuring out how to run "easy." I think it took getting a sore Achilles to get me to figure it out. When I ran 14 the other day, my longest ever, the Achilles and me both felt great. I just cruised along, never looked at my watch, and did not think about pace. It guess you had to be there, but it was pretty cool for me. It's not that I go out and try to kill it every time out, but I now have a much better grasp on what "easy" is for me. Sorry, I digress.

Have a good day, Pens.

Zelanie

Morning!  8 mile progression run later today.  I'm hoping for a little break in the rain or at least for it to warm up a bit before I head out.

Gustav- Way to rock those intervals!

D2- Glad you got your run done already!

Jerry- Your race is getting so close now!

D- Hoping Trixie will feel much better once she's home.

kristin- Have a good trip!

Scotty- Can't wait to read about your April 1 race!

Awood- Glad you are OK.

Bin- Nice run!

HsM- Beautiful, but something about that photo just doesn't say "spring" to me!

Jack- I'm glad you've found your easy pace!  I think one thing that happens as we get more experience is that we develop different "gears", so to speak, so that there's more variation between our paces at different effort levels.

Mmmmm...beer

Scotty, very true, the moon was huge this morning!  Thought I was gonna run into it. lol

Kristin, have fun, love w'burg, we're about an hour away, and yes, it's still cold here, sorry. Smile

Jack, yup, only four weeks apart.  I was a lil concerned when I registered for the second one that they might be too close together, but I'm feeling good already and still have 2.5 weeks till the race.  This next one is on the "trail" that I do a lot of my long runs on, it's an old section of highway that was shut down and turned into a biking/running park.  It's a perfectly flat out and back setup, and almost straight, just a couple of small curves that you can almost straighten out with some good tangent running.  It's about as fast of a course as I can think of, only thing faster would be one way and downhill. lol  So the plan is to try for a lil more aggresive pace, hopefully the weather cooperates and I can shave a lil more time off. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

D2- Is that the trail from your "marathon"?

Mmmmm...beer

D2- Is that the trail from your "marathon"?

Yup, same place.  That's also where I ran my 20k last month, which is where my avatar pic was taken.  It's about 5 minutes from my house.  Did my 16 miler on Saturday there.  Kinda weird that I'm paying to run in a place where I run for free all the time. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: Funny you should say that. People don't get it when I say that running "slow" now will help you run fast later. I know what you mean about the gears and I am comfortable with my pace. After my 14 miles, DW asked me what my pace was and I didn't know because I don't look at the watch too much, just for the miles. I guess it wast about 8:40 and it was actually 8:35. This Saturday I am doing 11 miles; 6 easy and 5 at race pace. That is when I will change gears.

D2: That sounds like a good one for you. If you are fully recovered from your first one, which I'm sure you will be, there could be another PR in the works.

Zelanie

Yup, same place.  That's also where I ran my 20k last month, which is where my avatar pic was taken.  It's about 5 minutes from my house.  Did my 16 miler on Saturday there.  Kinda weird that I'm paying to run in a place where I run for free all the time. lol

Well by signing up you are making sure you don't end up accidentally running there during the race.  There was a 5K last summer on the regular route that I run from my house.  I had decided not to sign up since it was a week after a "goal" 5K, and I don't know how to do races Scotty-dog-style.  Then I promptly forgot all about it.  Sure enough, I was headed out for my run one day and there were all these people around putting up signs and course markers!  I finished my run and made it off the course just in time.

GinnyinPA

Awood - sounds like a treacherous day.  I hope you and the car are both okay.

Dave - sounds like a nice course.  There are a couple of flat runs about 45 minutes from us, one a rail trail and the other the C&O Canal, but I haven't tried running on either of them.  Most of the races in our area seem to rejoice in the hills, especially the races that are longer than 5k.

Kristin - we spent a few days in Williamsburg on our way south in Feb.  Since we had visited the town a few years ago, and we had our dog with us, we focused on Yorktown and Jamestown.  We saw a lot of runners on the battlefield loop.  You pass Prince William Forest Park as well - a terrific place to hike, bike and run.

Bin - Avocado and ice cream don't really sound appealing.  I hope you enjoyed it.

Gustav - nice 'workout'

Hopesmom - that's what our view looked like yesterday.  Most of it has melted out already.

Jerry - I'm sure you're daughter is having a blast.  I spent time in Europe when I was a student, and really enjoyed touring.

Scotty - you're proof that the home is the most dangerous place to be.  Loved the visual.  I am sure your wife and cat were enjoying it.

Jack - I had one of those easy runs the other day.  It felt effortless.  I hope you find that groove again today.

Zelanie - hope the rain stops for you.  Eight miles is a long way to play in the rain.

D - I hope Trixie feels better today.

Mmmmm...beer

Well by signing up you are making sure you don't end up accidentally running there during the race.  There was a 5K last summer on the regular route that I run from my house.  I had decided not to sign up since it was a week after a "goal" 5K, and I don't know how to do races Scotty-dog-style.  Then I promptly forgot all about it.  Sure enough, I was headed out for my run one day and there were all these people around putting up signs and course markers!  I finished my run and made it off the course just in time.

Hmm, I wonder if you can get in trouble for banditing a race, if you didn't know there was going to be a race and you just happened to be out on a regular run? lol

-Dave

My running blog

Mmmmm...beer

D2: That sounds like a good one for you. If you are fully recovered from your first one, which I'm sure you will be, there could be another PR in the works.

I think I can knock a lil time off, not a huge PR like last week, but then again, it's only a month apart, not five months.  That's basically enough time to recover and then taper again. lol  It's funny, since I was so focused on Shamrock, I tried to set a pace that I thought was realistic, but would still push me a lil.  I'm gonna step it up a lil more for the Swamp Stomp, but without any fear of blowing up.  I figure if I crash and burn, I've already got my sub-1:30, so I'm happy for now.  Kind of weird when I think about it like that.

I'm actually more excited about the 5k that's coming two weeks after the half, since it's been a few months since I've done a 5k, I'm really interested to see what I can do now.

-Dave

My running blog