Beginners and Beyond

1 Mile Race Report: Third Time's the Charm! (Read 123 times)

Trail Monster

I seriously need you to write my speed program for the winter! Nice work LRB!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

meaghansketch

Congratulations on a fantastic race!  5:35 is under 6:00 by a very impressive amount.

I love running the mile, though the burning in my lungs that always sticks around the entire rest of the day always makes me swear off of the event temporarily.  So cool that you were one of the first 50 and got a medal!

Walk-Jogger

Dude... Nicely done!! Your 2:40 and 4:05 splits for 800 and 1200  make perfect sense - then you must have run a 1:30 on the last quarter. I'm guessing you probably ran something like 1:15, 1:25: 1:25, 1:30ish for splits.

My previous comments about not looking at your Garmin pertain more to road races, 5K and longer. For a mile race I don't wear a watch if there's a race clock, and I would never wear a big heavy Garmin when racing on a track, but when I race a mile I do want to see my lap splits, because I adjust my running effort on the fly based on them. 

Retired &  Loving It

Love the Half

Excellent.  I'm not at all sure I could drop a mile faster than that.  In fact, I'm fairly confident I couldn't.  Great job of just getting out there and getting after it.  Personally, I think having that fast field around me helps.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Ric-G

Didn't see the report...my bad. That is one great result. Been interesting seeing your progress with the mile. Tough distance to race properly..they all are....but these things are over so quick there is no room for error.  Congrats again...enjoy it, cool that they cap the medals too.

marathon pr - 3:16

RabbitChaser

Great job crushing your goal of a sub-6 mile! Congratulations, LRB!

Eric

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think of 1 mile races as asthma attacks waiting to happen.  LOL.

That's awesome LRB.  I can't imagine the intensity of a 1 mile race.  It's got to be a good feeling to get your first sub-6 by 25 seconds.  Keep it up man.

Damaris

LRB

I seriously need you to write my speed program for the winter! Nice work LRB!

LTH told you what to buy in your thread.  It's a somewhat complicated read the first half dozen times you go through it, but if you give yourself a month or two to soak it all in before you run with it, the shit works.

j22, It's not the prettiest medal I own, but it is one of a few that I had to actually race to get.  Imagine that.

Hi Traci!

Thanks Meaghan, luckily once the event is over, so are my searing lungs.

Cecil, I am not giving up my watch lol.  Seriously though, thanks for always droppin' knowledge!

Definitely helped to run near the back of the front pack LTH.  Them dudes were flying!

Wassup Eric!

Ric, I let my body pace me for the first time during a mile event.  Hey Mikey, he likey!

D, I'm sure you could race it even at a cautioned pace...but yes, you would know better than I.

Resident Historian

Emphatic way to break 6 - well run.Cool

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

MrNamtor

You've unlocked the portal door my friend. Gone through the barrier. You know how to train and you know how to race! Mind of a warrior too. WTG and congrats L!

hog4life

Congrats on a great race. I bet all the parade spectators really helped carry the leaders.

Great job Rick, way to earn some hardware!

Just like the glowing ultra reports that get posted here, your mile race reports are really something that makes me think "I should try that".

TakeAHike

Well done LRB. Nothing is more fun than a good fast, painful mile.  That must have been a fast race if 5:35 was only good for 31st place.  Congrats on the hardware and on blowing through the 6 minute barrier.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

BruceD555

Wow, what a great run! That Daniels fellow is really starting to grow on ya' huh?

Train smart ... race smarter.

LRB

Just like the glowing ultra reports that get posted here, your mile race reports are really something that makes me think "I should try that".

It's definitely a different crowd, you notice it when you first drive up.  Those guys are a different breed what with all the form drills and sprints they do right up until the gun sounds. Though I am not on their level, I definitely was not intimidated.

Nam, it's the beetroot juice.  Despite being the most vile substance known to man, without it, I would have only gone 5:37.

Bruce, 50 years of coaching experience is heavy.

Good point Mitch, hearing those screams was huge.

Supp LB!

Hike, the money brings out the milers!