Beginners and Beyond

Lapped By The Sun - My Burning River 100 Recap (Read 142 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I just have no words!  You 100 mile folks are scarin me!!!

I can only imagine it's a feeling like standing on top of Everest and looking out.  The only thing my crazy mind would wonder is.........."What's left after this?".   I guess maybe.........Everest? Cool

Randy

Mmmmm...beer

Absolutely amazing determination, you rock! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Congratulations Banshee!! You are an amazing runner.  Auhguh!!!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't know what to say. My thoughts are racing from one extreme to the other: are we crazy to do these things because there's so much pain and tears involved or are we crazy to challenge ourselves, then exult in conquering those challenges. Normal people don't do this, but the people who do are special. You can see that in what they'll do to help a fellow runner.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

adkkev

wow.

Trail Monster

My pacer, Ed, just sent me this picture:

finish cry

I think it captures the emotion of finishing pretty well. I'm almost sad the soreness and aches are fading. They seem to be taking the details with them. The bug bites, the sun burn, the scratchy throat, and single blister are all going to be missed. I think I must officially be crazy now! Wink

Oh, and my second sobbing session after Allison gave me the card.

card

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

Congratulations. What a great job out there. It was nice to get to say hi for a second, and very easy to pick you out with your new haircut! It's funny, I sat at a couple aid stations with your crew (the couple) without even realizing it. It sounds as though they did an amazing job helping you. Having run it before, I knew the section after "covered bridge" was rough, and I was wondering if anyone getting to that 65.7 (where my guy dropped) only an hour or so ahead of cutoff would be able to beat the clock. I can't believe it turned to mud again! You ought to be very confident that if you can gut out that kind of finish, you can pretty much handle any type of run you want to try. Way to go!

I so wish I remembered seeing you. Maybe I do and just don't realize it was you? I'm sorry your runner dropped but you didn't miss much after that aid station. So cool that you were a pacer out there! You should write a recap from a pacer's point of view!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

I just have no words!  You 100 mile folks are scarin me!!!

I can only imagine it's a feeling like standing on top of Everest and looking out.  The only thing my crazy mind would wonder is.........."What's left after this?".   I guess maybe.........Everest? Cool

Actually a 50 miler and maybe another hundred. And, of course, I now qualify to enter the Western States lottery. And there's always Badwater.... Joking

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I so wish I remembered seeing you. Maybe I do and just don't realize it was you? I'm sorry your runner dropped but you didn't miss much after that aid station. So cool that you were a pacer out there! You should write a recap from a pacer's point of view!

I was the guy that yelled "hey, Banshee" as you were heading up to the aid station at Shadow Lake (26.2). When we saw you the other time, you were looking for where to pop onto the trail not too far into the Pine Lane section. At that point I had a gray and yellow light jacket on, but we all had our headlamps on. We did say hi, but then went in front of you guys. I can see how you wouldn't remember given the exhaustion of it all!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Anonymous Guest

Wow.

I am really more of a lurker in B&B, but I just had to comment. What an amazing thing you did! I knew you had finished from the other thread, but I was still on the edge of my seat reading your report. Just fantastic.

Huge huge congratulations to you.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Will run for scenery.

Wow, that was a great read.  As if running 100 miles weren't already hard enough you had to deal with so much more!  But you survived it all and finished.  Very, very impressive!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Just B.S.

An amazing achievement worthy of praise and accolades!!

Well done Banshee!!!

happylily

I think it captures the emotion of finishing pretty well. I'm almost sad the soreness and aches are fading. They seem to be taking the details with them. The bug bites, the sun burn, the scratchy throat, and single blister are all going to be missed. I think I must officially be crazy now! Wink

Sara, yes, you are beautifully crazy. I got emotional just looking at the picture of you sobbing.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

No more marathons

Beautiful - thanks for allowing us to share in your journey.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

PADRunner

Great race and report! Congratulations!