Beginners and Beyond

Do you slug down the yeasties or leave them in the bottle? (Read 123 times)

Love the Half

A lot of beers these days are bottle conditioned.  In fact, I'm drinking an Affligem Abbey Tripel that has instructions to pour gently to leave the yeast in the bottle.  Hmmmm.  There are really three ways to approach this.

1.  Pour gently and leave the yeast in the bottle.

2. Tip the bottle up and pour aggressively distributing the yeast relatively evenly throughout.

3.  Pour gently and leave the yeast in the bottle until the end and then pour a wonderful slug of it.

I favor the third approach.  What say ye?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Luke79

Ever the pragmatist, I would have to say option 2 seems the most appealing, but 3 sounds more fun Smile

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, now that I'm dying for a beer...........

I can't say as I've had a beer that I've needed to concern myself with yeasties about.  But if I did, I'd probably just pour wholly and deal.  As a lot of the newer beers go, I've grown accustomed to almost expecting a "meal" out of my beer anyway.  Heck, next it will be "with" or "without" pulp.

But come to think of it.....I might not mind that anyway.  Wink

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm terrible with instructions.  I'd just drink it from the bottle.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

catwhoorg

Labrat

Generally #1, unless the yeast is actually meant to be park of the drink (as in some Belgian ales), then it would be #2.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

delicate flower

Depends on the beer.

<3

Will run for scenery.

I've never had a yeastie like that.

Is it anything at all like the plug of cream/butter that forms at the top of non-homogenized whole milk in a glass bottle ?

If so, then :

4) Eat it with a spoon and who cares WTF happens to the rest of the bottle.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I just tug the pasties off with my teeth.

What? Oh, YEASTIES.   Never mind then.....

Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Gator eye

I try to gently pour without disturbing those little guys but being a grade A klutz I usually end up with them mixed all through my beer when I pour.

Stop N Go

Last night I had a couple cans (yep) of Heady Topper from VT.  Really great IPA which tells you on the can to leave it in the can to keep the aeromatics.  Knowing it wasn't filtered I wondered whether to finish the can.

Decided my gut can handle a bit of yeast and hate to waste the fine beer.

5k PR Oct 2012 - 23:20

5k Goal 2013 - 21:5x

LRB

I'm an East Sidah, and over here if we paid for it it's going down!

Not that I know what the hell a yeasty is, so I would probably just consider it protein and chew it.

Love the Half

I'm an East Sidah, and over here if we paid for it it's going down!

Not that I know what the hell a yeasty is, so I would probably just consider it protein and chew it.

Normally, CO2 is forced into beers just before bottling just as with soda.  With bottle conditioned beers, a bit of sugar and yeast is added to the bottle just before capping.  The yeast turns the sugars into CO2 and alcohol.  Thus, it is the yeast in the bottle that carbonates the beer rather than the forced carbonation process.  Perhaps just as importantly, the yeast also consumes any oxygen in the bottle and O2 is always the enemy of good beer.  Because of this, a bottle conditioned beer is usually good for aging.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Slugs and yeasties... Sounds gross to me. I say leave them in the bottle.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I drink it.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

LRS

Chasing Muses

My first homebrew was an Autumn Ale, and I didn't do secondary fermentation. I wish I had because I wound up with yeasties at the bottom of the bottle. With those, I gently poured and left about 2 ounces in the bottle. It dulls the flavor of the beer, if you ask me.