Beginners and Beyond

Two April Races - Can't Decide (Read 49 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, as most know.. I like to plan each year as much as possible, I think it's OCD in me and like having a nice detailed picture in front of me. So normally December and January have no races, while I like having one race in February, one or 2 in March and one (or 2) in April with one in May before spending the summer training for my goal Fall race (the 2015 Indy Monumental Marathon: aka REDEMPTION).

I have these months planned already:

February 14, 2015 - Hearts on Fire 5k

March 14, 2015 - Land Between the Lakes Marathon (trail)

April: ????

May 23, 2015 - Owensboro Memorial Day Half Marathon

My dilemma - April. There are two races I really want to do - April 25, 2015 - Kentucky Derby Festival Half Marathon and then

April 26, 2015 - Backside Trail Half Marathon . Both in Louisville, KY

Now, they do offer price breaks if you do them back to back but I am not sure if I am ready for that even though it is 5 months away. I really like the finisher's medal that the KDFHM has but I really want to run trails and the BTHM course looks very tempting.

What should I do? Should I wait until closer to the date to decide?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I'd race the Derby one, then do the trail thing as a fun run the next day.

But knowing that you like trails, you could do the reverse as well.  Or skip the road race and make it a goal, a trail PR attempt.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'd race the Derby one, then do the trail thing as a fun run the next day.

But knowing that you like trails, you could do the reverse as well.  Or skip the road race and make it a goal, a trail PR attempt.

I don't think it would be wise or possible to do it as a trail PR attempt as I don't know how badly the LBL marathon is going to kick my ass in March and how much I'll have recovered by the end of April lol. If there is any racing, it would be the Derby one and then the trail race would be just for fun.

But again, who knows where my fitness level might be by March as I plan on adding a lot more hill running/hiking to this next training cycle and I plan on keeping my ass on the trails even during icy/snowy/shit conditions through winter..... I might just be superhuman by March lmao 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

hog4life

Or, you could do this one.

http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=24689

I don't think the link worked, sorry.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

...... I don't think I am ready for a Stage Race lol, maybe in 2016 or 2017 but I definitely don't see myself ready for that kind of race at this point.

And I am not sure if DH would be willing to travel to Alabama.... at least anytime soon. Anything over 3 hours would have to become a week vacation, and DH wants our next big vacation to be in Maine or out West. 

PRs

hog4life

...... I don't think I am ready for a Stage Race lol, maybe in 2016 or 2017 but I definitely don't see myself ready for that kind of race at this point.

And I am not sure if DH would be willing to travel to Alabama.... at least anytime soon. Anything over 3 hours would have to become a week vacation, and DH wants our next big vacation to be in Maine or out West. 

I'm not ready for a stage race either, lol, but the training for my March 1 full should get me close to being ready.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm not ready for a stage race either, lol, but the training for my March 1 full should get me close to being ready.

Lol, tell me how it goes 

PRs

hog4life

Lol, tell me how it goes 

I sure will, I'll be some pics on FB and do a big RR. There's a couple of my running buds that "kind of" twisted my little pinky. You know? Them enablers, lol. First it was a full, now this stage race, what's next, an ultra?

Does 43 miles in 3 days equal an ultra? LOL

When you get time, look up North Alabama Grand Slam. I'm hoping to do that in 2015 too if I stay healthy through the summer.

Here's the link

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=29702

onemile

I would do the Kentucky Derby one but I am not a trails person.

Love the Half

If you want to do both, that's fine but you'll have to treat them both as easy runs.  I struggle even with 2-3 miles the day after I race an all out half marathon.  And, I don't know of anyone who advises running 13.1 miles the day before a goal race.  If you want to really race either, then the other has to go by the wayside.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

Okay, Just like most of you.. I like to plan each year as much as possible, I think it's OCD in me and like having a nice detailed picture in front of me.

First of all FYP.

Secondly, I like everyone else has this same dilemma every year, there are events that I still have not done for that reason.

I am not sure how it is there but here there are dozens of events that appeal to me but knowing that I cannot do them all I develop a criteria of two or three key factors and decide that way, which usually comes down to the one that I can run the fastest in the coolest temps.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Do the April one. 

I would do both as easy runs if you are considering that (and sign up for the Half Fanatics, ha).  If not, I would look at the road race and go for a new PR.  The trail HM will make it hard for you to try to do well as compared to the road race.  If you are not looking for a time, either one sound good.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am definitely leaning towards doing both of them as easy runs, neither are really GOAL races. The March marathon is a goal race, and then of course the 2015 Monumental is my REDEMPTION goal 

These two would definitely be just easy runs.

PRs

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I vote for doing both as easy runs.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I vote for doing both as easy runs.

I should've made this a poll thread lol.

PRs