Beginners and Beyond

My first 100-miler RR (Ridiculously long but with lots of pics) (Read 220 times)

Philliefan33

Wow, what an amazing accomplishment.   Congratulations!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Wow, Katrina. That was an incredible race report. Thank you for sharing. I'm also a firm believer that kindness can make all the difference in the world. Smile

I can't wait to hear about your next one... in just a few weeks!

Katrina, that is an awesome accomplishment.  Congratulations.  Your reports are really inspirational and always well-written.

You are very right about how a few kind words can be so important, and not just for running but life in general.  If not for an unexpected high-five from a lady spectator at the darkest moment of my first marathon, I might have surrendered to the little voice saying "just quit".

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

WowShocked! That is a hell of a race, thanks for taking the time to write up that report too. Congrats on being done your first and good luck with your second.

I've been thinking of a mountainous trail ultra next summer, now it seems like an even better ideaBig grin. What sorts of long runs does one do for a 100-mile race? I imagine it'd be hard to find the time to go out for a 20 hour run, and the recovery wouldn't be easy.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

Best RR ever.

I have to second this.  It was a story told well, inspiring, incredible.  There was so much joy in every word, even in describing the pain.  It shows how much love you have for what you do.

SheCan

WTG, Katrina, that is majorly impressive....wow!

Love your story and the message, and OmGosh, if you don't look strong in your pictures!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Katrina, you are such a wonderful writer, and an awesom runner too. I enjoy reading your RR's very much. Thank you for sharing this experience, and congrats on your first 100!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, Katrinia!  Congrats!  Awesome report, awesome photos!  You are still the crazy lady Gail and I came to know and love!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Misty

Once again I'm left in awe! There are no words got express the respect and admiration I have for you and ultra runners in general- simply amazing! Congrats on your first 100 miler!

Misty

Bless your heart.

runmomto3boys

You are so, so amazing, Katrina!  You freaking did it!  I mean you ran 100 miles!  I can't even wrap my head around that!!!!!   How bad ass are you, girly?????   You impress and inspire me every time I read one of your RRs.  There were so many details that I found fascinating - the social aspect of ultra running/your personality, the obvious physical challenges (poor blisters!), the corresponding mental highs and lows (you were oh-so-honest about those), and I just love the fact that your dear, sweet hubby ran you in.  What an accomplishment!  I'm in awe!!!!  Congratulations!

aplodder

Susan

Katrina, you are truly an inspiration!  What a wonderful report  and race.  Congratulations!

StepbyStep-SH

I finally had time tonight to read this, and I'm not sure I can say much more than "Congratulations!" You have worked so hard in the last two years - you deserve every bit of satisfaction and pride that buckle and all that it represents brings to you. You are one of the most positive and giving runners I have encountered online (which is saying a lot in this community), and it shows through in how others respond to you.

Good luck in your next hundred - and all that follows!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Very inspirational. Not sure if I have 100 miler in me. Congratulations on your race and great RR.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I know I mentioned it in FB, but Katrina - AMAZING JOB! 100 miles in one day is something I'll probably never do!!! You ROCK!! Cool

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Ms Chenandler Bong

To say that I am in awe of you would be the understandment of the year.  You are so amazing and inspiring.  And I love that your support system helped you so much.  You're very lucky to be surrounded by people who love you, encourage you to do things that most people don't understand AND that you appreciate it.  You're a special woman, Katrina!!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.