Beginners and Beyond

Bad driver/good driver encounter (Read 95 times)

StepbyStep-SH

On my long run today, I ran along one stretch of street several times. At one side street, I encountered the "turning right, only looking left while on a cell phone driver." I saw that he wasn't going to look, so stopped until he had turned. Then, coming past the same area about 20 minutes later, a car slowed down beside me and the driver rolled down his window, then said, somewhat sheepishly "Sorry I didn't see you before." It took a minute for it to register what he was talking about, but I thought it was really nice of him to say that when he saw me again.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Just B.S.

That was nice of him. The woman doing the sane thing during my run Thursday night who actually  bumped my leg, looked at me like it was my fault.

Little Blue

Wow, he's one in a million.

If you're paying attention and know that they're not, it's amusing to watch their expression.  I had one pulling out turning right, and I knew he didn't see me.  When he finally looked right, I was right in his passenger window.  He jumped so high, he probably hit his head.  I chuckled.

Hip Redux

Wow, how nice of him!

happylily

In French, we have a saying: faute avouée est à moitié pardonnée. (A fault, or mistake, which is confessed is half forgiven). Maybe you have the same in English? I think it was very nice of him to take the time to apologize to you. But please be careful out there, Shari. I find winters are even more dangerous than summers. Visibility is lessened and drivers sometimes lose control of their car because of ice and snow.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

In French, we have a saying: faute avouée est à moitié pardonnée. (A fault, or mistake, which is confessed is half forgiven). Maybe you have the same in English?

Yes, a fool and his money will soon be parted.  ;-)

LRB

When he finally looked right, I was right in his passenger window.  He jumped so high, he probably hit his head. 

That happens to me at least once a day!  I so want to bang on their window sometimes and scream at the top of my lungs BOOGITY BOOGITY BOO!

delicate flower

I've had two drivers on two separate runs pull along side me and warn me that there was a bear up ahead.  I appreciated that.

<3

LRB

I've had two drivers on two separate runs pull along side me and warn me that there was a bear up ahead.  I appreciated that.

Where do you get these lines?!  lmao

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I am amazed that someone was so considerate. Generally I get scowls, but then I scream like a banshee when drivers don't look in my direction.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

A nice gesture in an otherwise crazy world. I always assume that the driver doesn't see me. Same rules as on a bicycle or motorcycle. Runners are invisible to anybody that isn't a runner. And even then, they're invisible sometimes. Just the way it is.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RSX

That was nice of him. The woman doing the sane thing during my run Thursday night who actually  bumped my leg, looked at me like it was my fault.

That was real nice of him. That happened to me once on a run as far as getting hit. A guy in pickup truck hit me coming out of a parking lot, and not a word. I have apologized to runners when I came close to a cross walk, as I got near an intersection.

aponi

never runs the tangents

I tried to run over a guy in the parking lot of Home Depot yesterday. Not really, but 3 times this guy and I crossed paths and I was in my car. After the 3rd time I rolled the window and told him I'd get him next time. He said "never I'm too fast for you."

I think he thinks I was kidding.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who