Beginners and Beyond

Talalgia Thursday Penguins! (Read 21 times)

SheCan

It's 86F and we're under a tornado watch. Hope I get my bike ride in.  If not, TM time.

I just drove by the hospital where I got my surgery and I remembered how I felt that week of the surgery.  No wonder people have been commenting I look radiant, happy, pain free.  THAT'S BECAUSE I AM.

I'm so happy for you!   That's wonderful!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Amazonian Princess

Hello!

Treadmill last night set to "rolling hills" and got up early this morning to run/walk before work. Set oatmeal with applesauce and almond milk in the fridge last night so I could microwave it for breakfast but got confused and used steel cut oats instead of rolled (should have re-read Zelanie's recipe!) but DH tried it and said it was no bueno. Figured it was a sign that I should get donuts

So, one donut down. A slice of brown bread with a bit of Tillamook cheddar, too. And a co-worker brought me banh mi for lunch. Might need to run again tonight if I can't shut my carb-hole

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks! If only it would stop hurting while running, though.  Groin and adductors are still weird and painful when I walk and do my running intervals.  I was hoping those pains would go away with surgery but they have not.  But I have been running all sorts of fucked up since October, so maybe it will take time.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Just to clarify, I'm not in pain.  It's just the muscles around that area still inflamed.  The psoas took a beating during the surgery and I hope it's just that.  Otherwise, my legs forgot to run because the adductors and groin are SORE.

Damaris

tracilynn

Good news that you are pain free. Boo on the tornado watch though

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

I ran 3 miles on the treadmill today. I am having peroneal tendon pain in my left ankle again. Blah.

Anyway,  there was a guy running next to me and I was "creeping" on his treadmill settings. Ha. Does anyone else do that or just me?  Anyway, he ran 6 miles at an 8:00 mm pace with the incline set on 7.0.  (Uphill) he didn't even seem to be challenged. His breathing was smooth and his stride was perfect. Made it look easy. That couldn't have been easy.  Ya think?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Amazonian Princess

I ran 3 miles on the treadmill today. I am having peroneal tendon pain in my left ankle again. Blah.

Anyway,  there was a guy running next to me and I was "creeping" on his treadmill settings. Ha. Does anyone else do that or just me?  Anyway, he ran 6 miles at an 8:00 mm pace with the incline set on 7.0.  (Uphill) he didn't even seem to be challenged. His breathing was smooth and his stride was perfect. Made it look easy. That couldn't have been easy.  Ya think?

A-ha! People like you are why I keep my towel over the treadmill display

Sorry about the ankle pain. Nothing about your description of what the guy next to you was doing sounds easy, but that's because I'm slower than a dial up connection.

Now I'm going to Google "psoas" and maybe ask the docs for a good anatomy reference poster I can hang in my cube!

I can. I will. I am. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That will be you at some point. Keep at it!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

A-ha! People like you are why I keep my towel over the treadmill display

Sorry about the ankle pain. Nothing about your description of what the guy next to you was doing sounds easy, but that's because I'm slower than a dial up connection.

Now I'm going to Google "psoas" and maybe ask the docs for a good anatomy reference poster I can hang in my cube!

There you go.  It's a long ass muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoas_major_muscle

And as you can see, it connects with the other shit that has been bothering me for months, the adductors.  And under all of that is where I had to have surgery on.  Figures.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Yay!  Our maniac is on the comeback trail!

I did it.  I got screws for my shoes for the race.  Well I have a 4 hour drive.  Later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Amazonian Princess

There you go.  It's a long ass muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoas_major_muscle

And as you can see, it connects with the other shit that has been bothering me for months, the adductors.  And under all of that is where I had to have surgery on.  Figures.

Criminy, Docket, is your body trying to implode from containing your awesomeness?!

Safe drive, Awood!

I can. I will. I am. 

SheCan

Criminy, Docket, is your body trying to implode from containing your awesomeness?!

Safe drive, Awood!

+1  LOL, Bacon, for sure, D'awesomenss!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

tracilynn

So the psoas goes down tthe front of the body whereas the piriformis is more posterior, in the butt region?  Hard to tell from Picture. Where is it in relation to the hip flexor? Hmmmm. It is a long ass muscle.

Jack, I was curious what your marathon jog pace will be?  I mean your "long run" this weekend...  

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hellooooo Penguins!

Back from the hospital after my colonoscopy.  Before I went to my appointment, I had to get up at 3:30 am. this morning and finish the rest of that nasty Colyte 'prep drink' I had to start taking on Wednesday afternoon.    I was wondering why in the world they make you get up so early to do this on the day of the appoinment and then the light went on - it's a PLOT by the medical folks to keep you VERY sleepy so when you get to the actual appointment you are so 'nodding off' that you are a more cooperative patient, aha!   I'm onto their game now!   Since I am retired military in San Antonio all my medical stuff is done at Brooke Army Medical Hospital  - which also happens to be one of the Trauma Hospitals for San Antonio.   So after I got taken from the waiting room into the back to get procedure prepped -  change into those very fashionable hospital gowns, get my IV put in for my sedation, get hooked up for monitoring vitals, etc. - wouldn't you know it, there was a local emergency and some of the gastro docs who serve on the hospital Trauma Team  - including mine - got called down to the ER for a while.

So my procedure was delayed for a bit, but that was fine...I laid in bed, taking a nap with a nice 'buzz' on... - oooooo, the colors, the colors... .     A nurse finally came to push my bed into the procedure room, telling me she would be one of the attending nurses in the room.  I told her,, making her laugh, "You poor thing, you have my sympathy for having to look at my ugly butt, and I'm sure you have my wife's sympathy too."   Got into the room and another nurse was there and he said "I'm Jimmy, your bartender, and I'm going to keep an eye on your sedation."  This guy's voice sounded EXACTLY like that of  actor Denzel Washington's!  He told me he once had a blind patient who thought he WAS Denzel Washington, lol, and during the procedure kept asking for an autograph.  So the doc doing the procedure comes in and other team member in the room, a med tech, starts to shut the door so everyone can get started.  I told him 'You better leave that door open in case anyone needs to run screaming in horror from the room after the doc opens the back of my gown", which cracked everyone up.  The doc said "I wish all the patients I saw were as humorously mellow as you, it makes the work atmosphere so much more positive."  Well, glad I could help, Doc! 

Finally done and it went well.  I was sedated, but awake. I napped off-and-on while the team did their thing, but the times I did open my eyes, the camera monitoring screen was right in front of me, so I sometimes saw different pictures of ME inside - and at one point in my sedated daze thought I saw a little tunnel there with a couple of Hobbits in it, lol.  That Jimmy the Bartender sure knows how to work up a medical cocktail!

The procedure went well, but not as well as I wanted it too.  Last time I had my colonoscopy - 5 years ago - was the first time since they found my malignant polyps that I'd ever been totally 'clean' - no polyps at all. They'd always found polyps before, but luckily all  found after my cancer were always benign.  So doc told me if none were found this time for the 2nd straight time, then I could probably go back on the every-10-years colonoscopy plan.   But, darn the luck, they did find a couple of polyps this time - BANG goes my 'clean' streak'  of 2 in a row - so  I'm still on the 5-year schedule.  Well, it could be worse.  Overall I'm pretty healthy for a 60-year old mutt - that's 420 in dog years! - and then they took my resting heart rate, the nurse was surprised and said I had the RHR of  "a youngster" as she termed it.  Must be the running!   So, all in all, everything is pretty much hunky-dory, and all the medical folks I dealt with today did their usual great job.  Brooke Army Medical Center is a premier facility with a great complement of professional and volunteer staff folks who all treat you like a PERSON, not like a medical experiment.  I am really glad that if anything ever does happen, I have these people to take care of me.

So now I'm back home relaxing - although I did make my designated driver Gail stop on the way home so I could get an ice cream treat, lol, after having to 'starve' for a couple of days - and have the day off  work tomorrow too,  to get back to my old self and since I can't driver for 24 hours from the end of the procedure anyway, so might as well stay home - and then Saturday 'back to normal" with a 5K race in the morning - my 15th race for the year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt