Beginners and Beyond

Which HM's have you done? (Read 117 times)

Nevrgivup

Ironhorse HM- CT I've done this one twice. Its a very organized race. Nice country roads. Few hills. LOVED it.

Hyannis HM-  Cape Cod, MA. Cold one. This one is in February and its cold. The weather is always unpredictable. Nice course through Hyannis along the beach and through downtown and beach homes.

Hartford HM- DNF. Did this one up to the 8.6 mile point and dropped out this past Oct due to anxiety/palpitations. Way too crowded for me. Boring course IMO.

Monson HM- Monson, MA. Very very challenging. First 8-9ish miles were all uphill. After mile 9 its mostly downhill. Nice country roads. Small race. Only about 200-300 finishers.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

happylily

I'm still sulking...

Okay, no, actually I'm at work, busy. I'll participate later today. Good job, Hilary. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

Door County Half Marathon  5/1/2010 my first race ever.  Pretty course tree lined course through a state park, views of Lake Michigan near the end.  Super hilly but I enjoyed it.  Probably wouldn't do it again because it's such a hard course.  2:06: xx

Fort Half Marathon  6/19/2010.  Mostly flat course with a couple small hills on country roads. Loop course. Small but well organized.  I'd run it again.  2:02: xx 

Eisenbahn Half Marathon, 8/28/2010 Flat course on a crushed limestone path. Fairly small race but a nice straight, point to point course through woods and fields. Definitely would do it again.  1:59: xx

Prairie State Half Marathon, 10/6/2012  Another crushed limestone path. Flat, out and back through wooded areas. Really pretty with the fall colors but I couldn't get an accurate garmin signal for a good part of it.  They also have a marathon sharing the course but it was never crowded.  I'd run this one again.  1:46: xx

Racine Skeleton Skamper 10/27/2012  This was advertised as a flat, fast course. It was not flat and the course was ugly. Along a frontage road for a good portion and then a few rural roads with rolling hills.  Would not do this again. 1:46: xx (was hoping to PR but did not)

Chi Town Half  3/24/2013 This was a course along Chicago's Lakefront path.  Super windy without much protection for much of the race.  Also this seemed to have a lot of turns and added legs to get the distance to work out, which was very annoying.  Mix of loops / out and back nonsense.  Never again.  1:43: xx

Fox Cities Half Marathon  9/22/2013  Nice sized race. Flat course, point to point course through residential neighborhoods.  Well organized, pretty much the ideal half (I'm a little biased because I had a really good race).  I think this might be my fall goal race for this year.  1:37: xx

Nevrgivup

Onemile- You are speedy. That 1:37 is amazing. The fastest I've run one was a 1:53.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MothAudio

•  Parkersburg Half Marathon. 1991 and numerous time since. 1st half marathon race. Hosted the men's USATF National Championships for several years. Awesome hometown feel. Small race; 800-1500. Pre-race and post-race meal included in modest entry fee. Awards ceremony [remember those] held in vintage movie house where I used to take my dates in high school. 1st class. Super friendly. Held during homecoming weekend. Absolutely brutal course that is hot, humid and hilly - run in August. Still attracts competitive field. Set all-time half marathon race PB here.  
              •  Dayton Half Marathon. 90's and again in '05. Similar in size. Quality event, not sure if it's as good as before. Use large canon to start race, priceless to see the faces of unsuspecting runners when it goes off! Flat course.
              •  Bingham / Capital City Half marathon. 8 times. Former John Bingham event. Typical of the large events that pose as races. Attracts a more casual crowd. No A/G awards but the biggest finishers medal ever. Other than that oversight they do a 1st class job. I've captained an aid station for a few years. Course is run on sections of Columbus Marathon course - fast. Set Master PB here [eclipsed at Columbus Marathon].
              •  Columbus [half] Marathon. 6 times. I've run the half in conjunction with the marathon, when it was a relay and now HM. Similar size as Cap City. 1st class race. Highly recommended but unless you're in the 1st two corrals it can get crowded [meaning don't expect to run tangents]. Friends with race director [former training partner]. Fast course with minor grades. Set Master PB there 3-4 times.
              • Flying Pig [half] Marathon. '08. Cross between Columbus and Cap City. Big field that attracts more of a casual crowd. Big hills make it an unfriendly course for 1st time half marathoners. Otherwise festive, 1st class event.  
              • Done several other half marathons but none stand out and I question if any are still active.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

onemile

Onemile- You are speedy. That 1:37 is amazing. The fastest I've run one was a 1:53.

Honestly I'm not even sure how I ran it that fast. But the half marathon is by far my best (and favorite) race distance.  I'd be perfectly happy never doing another marathon or 5k again.

I have been a pacer in many of these so this is list contains both "runs" and "races".

Minnesota:

Lake Minnetonka (3 times including first ever half-marathon)

Earth Day

New Prague (2 times)

Minnesota

Garry Bjorklund (2 times)

Minneapolis

Mankato (4 times)

Lola’s Lake Waconia

Securian Winter Run

Monster Dash

Red Wing River City Ramble   (hottest half-marathon with a dew point of 72 at the start)

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer   (coldest half-marathon with an air temp of 5 degrees at the start)

Urban Wildland (2 times)

Texas:

Houston Aramco  (PR half-marathon  1:21:14)

Wisconsin:

Rails to Trails    (first time I went sub-1:30)

Minnesota and Wisconsin as it starts in MN and finishes in WI:

Gopher to Badger (3 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Evansville Half Marathon - October 2011 - Not difficult, relatively easy. Was 13 weeks pregnant and had to stop at 5 port-a-potties. 2:31:XX

Evansville Half Marathon - October 2012 - Starting training way too soon after giving birth, injured my groin so this one was a limp across the finish line. 2:36:XX

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon - April 2013 - Awesome, challenging and first one away from home. 2:18:28

Evansville Half Marathon - October 2013 - A raining monsoon, but that didn't stop any of us. 2:04:48

Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon - November 2013 - Awesome race, loved it and am going back this year for my debut marathon. Got my best/goal PR of 1:56:38

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Tar Heel Mom

kween

In Charlotte:

SouthPark Racefest (many times)

Run for Peace, 2nd half (about 15 years ago)

Dowd Y, now Rocktoberfest Half (many times)

Ramblin' Rose, merged with Rocktoberfest also

In SF:

SF 2nd half twice

In Cincinnati:

Flying Pig. Worst course on earth.

Signed up for Myrtle Beach the year it got cancelled due to snow.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

bluerun

Super B****

State to State HM (9/25/11; Oxford, OH into eastern Indiana) -- my first half, the one that took 3:59:18 thanks to multiple pelvic/sacral fractures, and the one that made me establish an "I don't travel for races" policy.

Jerusalem HM (3/1/13) -- there are certain exemptions to the above-mentioned policy.  Like this.  One of the most awesome experiences of my life, and it didn't hurt that I PRed by well over two hours.

Long Island HM (5/5/13) -- from the hills of Jerusalem to the flats of Long Island, another seven minutes were shaved off my PR.  Some people don't like this race because they claim the course is boring.  Honestly, I can't say I noticed.  I don't tend to pay much attention to the scenery when I'm racing.

Atlantic City HM (10/13/13) -- the only reason I did this race was because I one an entry.  I was dealing with the tail end of a pretty nasty case of ITBS at the time, so it might not have been the wisest choice, and I did curse myself a lot during this race!  It was also crazy windy.  Races along the water are nice, and all, but the wind!!!

NYCRUNS Running Festival of Lights Chanukah Chalf (11/24/13) -- the name made me do it.  I couldn't resist.  And every time I finish a half in one piece, it feels like I'm giving the finger to all the parts of my body that hate me, my pelvis in particular... so I didn't mind that this was the slowest half I've ever run (excluding my first, obviously).  It was supposed to be.  Thank goodness, because the cold and the wind would have made it difficult to achieve anything else.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Wisconsin:

Madison Mini Marathon (x 3)

Madison Half Marathon

Haunted Hustle HM

Rails to Trails HM

DWD Devil's Lake Trail HM

I wanted to streak the Madison Mini Marathon by running it every year, since its inaugural year was 2009.  I ran in 2009, 2010, 2011, DNSed 2012 and didn't bother registering for 2013 since it would have been a DNS.  2014 is out for me too.  Oh well.

Running is dumb.

onemile

Wisconsin:

Madison Mini Marathon (x 3)

Madison Half Marathon

Haunted Hustle HM

Rails to Trails HM

DWD Devil's Lake Trail HM

I wanted to streak the Madison Mini Marathon by running it every year, since its inaugural year was 2009.  I ran in 2009, 2010, 2011, DNSed 2012 and didn't bother registering for 2013 since it would have been a DNS.  2014 is out for me too.  Oh well.

Oh I forgot about Rails to Trails!  Very pretty course on a crushed limestone rail trail. You get to run through a tunnel with a flashlight.  FLAT and out and back.  I would do this one again if it wasn't so in the middle of nowhere.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

FLAT and out and back.

Stop baiting me!!!!!! 

Running is dumb.

onemile

Stop baiting me!!!!!! 

Sorry. Couldn't resist. 

What a great idea, so glad I inspired this thread!

Only done two!

1. Ann Arbor (6/2012) - first time I ever ran 13 miles, and could not imagine going another step at the end. No Garmin & no splits published, I have no idea of my splits. Objective analysis: their debut race, they continue to fiddle with the course. Some nice scenic stretches, but also a big boring loop around a mall (I think eliminated this year). Too warm time of year; this year changed to end of March. Fairly hilly by Midwest standards, not recommended for PR.

2. Martian (4/2013) - personally went really well, despite miserable weather (cold/wind/freezing rain). A 13 min PR & big negative split, should have started faster but no idea what my goal time should've been. Note to self: marathon training makes HM's much easier. Objective analysis: boring course, but flat; pretty well organized, they've been running it for a while. Organized well enough that they had a backup course ready to go, as the original course was flooded on race day.

Dave