Beginners and Beyond

How would you run this next marathon? (Read 117 times)

happylily

I'm running another marathon in two weeks. My last one before mid-October, I swear. It will be my 7th in the last 12 months. I registered for this one only because I will be celebrating the three year anniversary of my first marathon, on the same course. After finally running Boston last month, it seemed like the thing to do. Coming full circle.

But now, I seem to have a little problem, which is... I think that, maybe... I am a little tired? I was injured for a few days last week, after I ran my HM. Hamstring and knee. I had to skip a few runs. I feel ok now, but I'm a little bit apprehensive because of it. It was my first time ever being injured this way and I didn't like the feeling. Also, I ran 20 miles last Sunday, slowly, and mentally, I really wasn't in the mood. I think I am marathon overdosing at this point. Undecided

Anyway... I have a race in two weeks and I intend to go through with it. Being me (i.e. OCD), I need a goal. I need a finish time to direct me. It can be a slow time or a fast one, but I need numbers. If you were me, what would you do?

- Should I run easy, say, 30 minutes slower than my PR? Smell the daisies and take pictures? (not sure I am capable of this, but it could be fun to try.)

- Should I be conservative and run somewhere in between PR and easy, like 3:40/3:45? (which is probably the best I can expect of myself at the moment)

- Or should I go kamikase and try to run another PR, but just give up and adjust the pace if needed? I'm very familiar with pitiful last miles and disastrous endings, so it wouldn't be a first for me. I can take it emotionally. Big grin

Part of me wants to experiment and try for another PR. Go crazy... The other part of me tells me I'm asking for trouble. What do you think? Which part should I listen to?

P.S. The course is sprinkled with gentle hills, nothing major. And the weather should be a high of 72F (later in the day) and full sun. But it could all change before race day, of course.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

If you are feeling it right now, I would suggest smell the daisies.

Grab your man (if he ever wanted to do a Marathon) or other slower runner and help them/ pace them.

It will keep you honest and give the other runner some support.

Just B.S.

Heck, who I am I to give you advice lady?Big grin   But for this one I say relax and enjoy, you have earned it!

Especially since you have a a little issue, might be a sign you need to back off a bit.

Besides that  course is beautiful and the crowds are amazing so take it all in and have fun.

We had so much fun at that race last year and wish I was going because I could spend some time with

my boy and also finally meet you. We seem to go to all the same places but at different times. I'm trying

to talk hubby into going up for Canada Day instead.

And remember go to the market and find my boy and say Hi!LOLSmile

happylily

You two are suggesting something scary to me... But it's probably the best option, you are right.

The idea of grabbing my man to help him pace a distance he hasn't trained for seems like a lot of fun, I must admit. I love yelling at him. Big grin

hog4life

Well I sure cant give any advice since I'v yet to do a full marathon yet, but I'd say run easy.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

The idea of a 26.2 'fun run' never appealed to me but neither does an injury from over-training.  I say bag the race.

You people have issues 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Run it for fun.  You'll be surprised at how nice that is.

Although knowing you, you will get a PR.  Good luck!

Damaris

happylily

The idea of a 26.2 'fun run' never appealed to me but neither does an injury from over-training.  I say bag the race.

NOOO! Surprised

Thanks, Mitch!  :-)

happylily

Damaris, if I had you to run with, it would be more fun. Running for fun alone doesn't sound that much fun to me. :-( But I'm willing to try it.

flarunner

If you knee/leg injury is all healed up and the only "issue" you have is mental fatigue, then I would suggest you remember why you run. What made you start running? What's the reason you keep on running? Use that thought to find your pace.

delicate flower

I say go for the PR.  That's what you'll end up doing anyway.  Wink

<3

happylily

If you knee/leg injury is all healed up and the only "issue" you have is mental fatigue, then I would suggest you remember why you run. What made you start running? What's the reason you keep on running? Use that thought to find your pace.

Very good point. The answer to why I started running would be to challenge myself. I always want a challenge. But I have to remain logical, that is the key, here.  Thanks for that reflection!

happylily

I say go for the PR.  That's what you'll end up doing anyway.  Wink

You just want me in a cast, on a hospital bed, so that we can compare our pictures. Big grin

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Many years ago, I was about to run a HM when a stranger handed me a card with the following printed on it:

"Beliefs are limits, stretch and go beyond."

I still have the card.

If you're feeling good on race day, I say go for it. Big grin

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

Antipodean

I would say any of the options could be viable. Possibly train for the middle one, but wait and see how you feel. If things get better, you may decide to race it, if they get worse you could go daisy hunting. Don't be too hard on yourself to decide right now. Good luck.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary