Beginners and Beyond

How would you run this next marathon? (Read 117 times)

B-Plus

I wouldn't run it, but you already said you will be going through with it.

I suggest to run it as a long run, and hopefully pick up a couple of strugglers near the end and pace them to their goal.

I wouldn't run it, but you already said you will be going through with it.

I suggest to run it as a long run, and hopefully pick up a couple of strugglers near the end and pace them to their goal.

X2....or, see if the race still needs pace group leaders and pace a group that is closer to a 4 hour finish.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

or run it backward, really shake things up

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Avoid injury... smell the daisies!!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The idea of a 26.2 'fun run' never appealed to me

Just when I thought we getting somewhere in turning you into an ultra runner...

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My vote is obviously to just have fun and take a lot of pictures.  But I'm no good at that racing stuff, either.

Running is dumb.

#artbydmcbride

Is there a half marathon you can downgrade to?  Do that and go for a PR.  Big grin

Runners run

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Just when I thought we getting somewhere in turning you into an ultra jogger...

FYP

Hey, I did have a lot of fun on my 50K.  It wasn't from the miles but all of the challenges of the technical course.  Where else could I get: Swarm of Bees, Boulder climbing/Hopping, 11K+ elevation change for a mere $70?

You people have issues 

YAYpril - B-Plus

I like this idea.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

FYP

Hey, I did have a lot of fun on my 50K.  It wasn't from the miles but all of the challenges of the technical course.  Where else could I get: Swarm of Bees, Boulder climbing/Hopping, 11K+ elevation change for a mere $70?

My 50 miler cost $60 and I got a shirt, a hat, a buckle, and a bunch of food.  Oh, and too many hours of rain and mud and blisters and falling on my ass from the rain and mud.  Really, I don't know why anyone runs road races.  Big grin

Running is dumb.

Love the Half

In the latest issue of Running Times, Greg McMillan talks about durability as the most underrated "talent" for distance running success.  McMillan was an extraordinarily talented athlete.  He had a tested VO2max of over 76.  He ran a 53 second 400.  (That's a 3:33 pace for anyone who is curious).  He knew early on that running success was about work over time - months and years rather than weeks and days.  He had the tools to be a world class runner except for one thing.  He stayed hurt.  He lacked durability.

One of the things he points out is that we all have some level to which we can push our bodies without getting hurt.  I might add that it is possible to push your body into overtraining even if you don't get hurt.  Of course, no one knows exactly where that ragged edge happens to be.  You find out about it only after you get hurt or only after your resting heart rate starts increasing and you struggle even on recovery jogs.  Either way, your time off can be anywhere from a week to 6-8 weeks.  I can say from experience that 6 weeks off essentially causes you to lose 6 months worth of training.  (It takes about 3 months to get your aerobic fitness and muscular endurance back and then it takes another 3 months (at least) to get your race fitness back).

The flip side of course is that pushing the ragged edge without going over leads to our best performances.

Decide what level of risk you are willing to accept and act accordingly.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

BruceD555

Mmm...if I didn't have Grandma's next month I'd sign up for that marathon and come up and race ya'.

Seriously, I'd take it easy and I really like the idea of helping someone else along who's hurting in the last 10k. If you have someone you can pace all the way through that would be even better. Knowing basically how quick you run that would mean I would honestly pick something around the 3:50-3:59 mark to try and help somebody who's going for a BQ of 4:00. That way you're being very conservative on pace to avoid injury while giving back to someone else.

If you just want an arbitrary time goal ... run it EXACTLY 3 minutes faster than the first time you did that course 3 years ago (one minute per year).

Train smart ... race smarter.

B-Plus

Run it wearing a fairy costume and blow PR dust throughout the course.

Mmm...if I didn't have Grandma's next month I'd sign up for that marathon and come up and race ya'.

Seriously, I'd take it easy and I really like the idea of helping someone else along who's hurting in the last 10k. If you have someone you can pace all the way through that would be even better. Knowing basically how quick you run that would mean I would honestly pick something around the 3:50-3:59 mark to try and help somebody who's going for a BQ of 4:00. That way you're being very conservative on pace to avoid injury while giving back to someone else.

If you just want an arbitrary time goal ... run it EXACTLY 3 minutes faster than the first time you did that course 3 years ago (one minute per year).

Grandma's you say?

I'm running the half. Still to be determined is how hard I'm going to get after it. If our paths happen to cross I'll buy you a beer.

LRB

This thread reminds me of the BF, where you would open a thread, spend ten minutes typing a heartfelt, thoughtful response, only to realize the thread is three years old and was bumped by a troll!

I am not falling for it, you are going to race it regardless of what is said here, so race it!  ; )