Beginners and Beyond

How would you run this next marathon? (Read 117 times)

Slow and pictures or bag the race. I am a dumb noob and know that.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Personally, I feel like a race effort for a race you haven't been focusing on is a waste and that you'd be better off just enjoying the "fin de semaine des courses". If your hamstring is bothering you then don't be afraid to drop out. Trust me, I feel a lot better about dropping out of the Paris Marathon than I do about racing two XC races a few months prior (which likely contributed to me DNF'ing Paris).

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Mostly harmless

I haven't read anyone's replies. I barely had time to read your whole post.

My 2 cents is to go for the PR.  You know you want to. Fuck common sense and logic and all that shit. You'll either have a great time or flame out in a big way. Go for it.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

happylily

Many great answers, thank you so much. I am leaning toward the go easy, mostly because of what Adam said: " I feel like a race effort for a race you haven't been focusing on is a waste." This was never meant to be my PR race, so why waste energy when I know I'm already depleted of PR energy... And what LTH indicated about McMillan is serious stuff.  

I like the idea of running just a tad faster than my first. I would see it a challenge to hit an exact number, a pacing challenge. I also like the idea of hopefully being able to help a few people who are struggling in their last miles. I'll have to pass on the fairy idea, though it is a lovely. Smile

I'll sleep on it nothing, but I'm pretty sure I've made my decision. Thank you very much, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I haven't read anyone's replies. I barely had time to read your whole post.

My 2 cents is to go for the PR.  You know you want to. Fuck common sense and logic and all that shit. You'll either have a great time or flame out in a big way. Go for it.

Or get hurt and not be able to run for a while.

My perspective on how hard to push myself changed after I got hurt stupidly running an ultra for which I was woefully underprepared. The results look good on the surface as I finished in the top 10 overall but I hurt my Achilles tendon doing it and couldn't run for six weeks.  I had to DNS the November race I planned to use as my Boston qualifier.  That left me with only one chance to qualify rather than what I had planned which was attempting to qualify in November with a backup in March in case I had a horrible race in November.  When I showed up on race day in March, it was 61 degrees with 100% humidity.  Fortunately for me, I ran a good race and qualified with time to spare but I could just as easily have had a bad day and I wouldn't have been in Boston this year.  And all because I wanted to run an inaugural event.

Don't get me wrong.  There is a time and a place to throw caution to the wind but that should be a calculated risk.  I'm going to try to run sub 3:00 in a marathon in November.  I am willing to blow up in the effort.  Quite honestly, I'd rather blow up and run 3:20 than ease up just a notch and run 3:00:25 or something like that.  But, I have a strategy leading to that effort which includes 2-3 months of working on speed (which is what I'm doing now) combined with ramping my mileage up to regular 70+ mile weeks followed by 2 months of developing stamina and endurance with regular 80+ mile weeks followed by 6-8 weeks of very specific marathon sharpening involving some extremely difficult long runs and marathon pace runs.  When I toe the line in November, I think I'll be as ready as it's possible for me to be.  I might blow up or I might PR.  We shall see.

That is very different from going out a few weeks from now and attempting a PR.  That's just not a smart choice.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I like the idea of running just a tad faster than my first. I would see it a challenge to hit an exact number, a pacing challenge. I also like the idea of hopefully being able to help a few people who are struggling in their last miles. I'll have to pass on the fairy idea, though it is a lovely. Smile

I'll sleep on it nothing, but I'm pretty sure I've made my decision. Thank you very much, everyone!

That actually seems like a really good idea, especially since your pacing is usually all over the place isn't it? You should try and hit the exact number in the most even way possible (provided that the pace isn't so slow that you're feeling like you're walking/losing your form).

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Hip Redux

happylily

This popped up on my feed and it made me think of this thread Big grin

http://breakingmuscle.com/sports-psychology/you-re-not-making-the-godfather-quit-taking-your-training-so-seriously

LOL... I'll have you know that I am the fastest woman my age group on my street and I take that title very seriously. So yes, I AM  making the Godfather. Big grin

Love the Half

LOL... I'll have you know that I am the fastest woman my age group on my street and I take that title very seriously. So yes, I AM  making the Godfather. Big grin

That made me smile.  I'd like to officially assume the mantle of "fastest master's runner in Scott Depot" but Buddy Dent lives around here and he runs roughly a 17:00 5K.  I am the fastest guy in the Timberlake Subdivision so I'll be the Godfather of that empire.  Cool

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

That made me smile.  I'd like to officially assume the mantle of "fastest master's runner in Scott Depot" but Buddy Dent lives around here and he runs roughly a 17:00 5K.  I am the fastest guy in the Timberlake Subdivision so I'll be the Godfather of that empire.  Cool

Big grin

I knew I could count on you to understand me.  WTG, King of the Timberlake Subdivision! Big grin

No more marathons

Many great answers, thank you so much. I am leaning toward the go easy, mostly because of what Adam said: " I feel like a race effort for a race you haven't been focusing on is a waste." This was never meant to be my PR race, so why waste energy when I know I'm already depleted of PR energy... And what LTH indicated about McMillan is serious stuff.  

Good decision.  You know it is impossible to run a PR every time out the gate.  Running this at a nice effort but well within your capabilities will leave you feeling good, not defeated like a crash and burn would do.  And pacing some 3:50 runners to a PR would be great for you and them.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Have you considered the possibility of running from aid station to aid station, then stopping at each to personally thank all the volunteers, maybe even hand out a cup or two to other runners before continuing?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

Have you considered the possibility of running from aid station to aid station, then stopping at each to personally thank all the volunteers, maybe even hand out a cup or two to other runners before continuing?

And you could all just call me Mother Teresa... Big grin

It's a lovely idea, George. Thanks for thinking of it! Smile

I'm running another marathon in two weeks. My last one before mid-October, I swear. 

Does this mean you will not be running Amherstburg? Sad

Dave

happylily

Does this mean you will not be running Amherstburg? Sad

I ran it last September and I highly recommend it. I got a nice PR on that course, easy and so pretty. The whole town comes out to cheer and the atmosphere is very festive. It's like Boston, but a tad smaller... haha (and without the hills). Big grin I am undecided yet for September. I can only run a half, not a full (I have Chicago a few weeks later). I may do Amherstburg, or Ottawa (the Army Run). Ottawa is closer for me. But I have a chance at an AG award in Amherstburg, given the small number of participants. Are you seriously considering the Run for Heroes marathon? You'd love it, I'm sure.