Beginners and Beyond

Penguins' February Weight Loss Challenge (Read 69 times)

Brilliant

Grr. 143. Looks like I'll be going for the most weight gained prize. 

It makes me mad that it seems I run all the freakin' time and I can't lose an ounce.

Zelanie

Grr. 143. Looks like I'll be going for the most weight gained prize. 

It makes me mad that it seems I run all the freakin' time and I can't lose an ounce.

Brilliant, sometimes after hard race efforts I think it's normal to go up.  Muscles take on water as they recover.

Zelanie

OK, there were too many participants for a table, so I made a spreadsheet.  There's a link at the top of the first post, or you can

click here

The Bacons currently have a convincing lead, but the median loss is still almost a pound this week so far. 

GinnyinPA

Pretty good numbers here.  Congratulations to the Bacons!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My sister invited me to Logan's Roadhouse for lunch.....

Mesquite wood grilled chicken, two servings of sweet potato fries but I feel most guilty about the one dinner roll... damn them and their delicious buttery rolls!!!

But it was only one this time, used to be 2-3 before the food ---- PROGRESS!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

on my way to badass

My sister invited me to Logan's Roadhouse for lunch.....

Mesquite wood grilled chicken, two servings of sweet potato fries but I feel most guilty about the one dinner roll... damn them and their delicious buttery rolls!!!

But it was only one this time, used to be 2-3 before the food ---- PROGRESS!!!

Mmmmmm rolls.  I had some rice tonight with my chicken and broccoli.  I usually avoid white carbs.  Some small quantities keep me from hating the run.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Mmmmmm rolls.  I had some rice tonight with my chicken and broccoli.  I usually avoid white carbs.  Some small quantities keep me from hating the run.

I wouldn't have said yes to rolls, but my mom, sister and her kids love them.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks for sorting them, Zel.  So easy to see who is still pigging out.

Zelanie

Thanks for sorting them, Zel.  So easy to see who is still pigging out.

On the other hand, you and Lily are currently tied, so you're in good company.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just throwing this out there.....for the purpose of the competition, I am using the Saturday weigh in. However, I tend to step on the scale each morning while I wait for the shower to warm up. I have lots of fluctuation, so using a single data point can give me an inaccurate picture. Like Zelanie mentioned, a hard workout can cause your muscle to retain water, so the scale goes up. Eat a salty meal, scale goes up.  Guys, you can't use this, but I know that during certain points of my cycle, the scale will jump up 2-3 lbs overnight.

I find weighing myself daily gives me a better picture of how my weight is going. If for a week or more it is up, then time to cut back. If there is a single high data point and then it is back down, it is a blip.

And naturally since today was not an official weigh in day, I was 143.5. 

Brilliant, I know you are in the middle of marathon training, so this probably isn't something to start now, but I find weight training really helps keep my weight in check.

Zelanie

Interesting.  I weigh myself every day to get some general feedback about how I'm doing, but find that only "counting" the once a week data point gives me a better overall picture of my progress.  Overall, I feel like it's easier to spot a trend when zoomed out a bit.  Day to day, I miss the forest for the trees.

Zelanie, I'm assuming we still post our weight here and you'll do the spreadsheet (if not let me know). Sadly, I'm only down a bit to 139.0

But I guess down is better than up. Just seems like it should be more given how many things I passed up.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I weigh myself just about every morning just to remind myself not to get off track.... and stay under the calorie goal that myfitnesspal recommends, even with my workouts.

PRs

Zelanie

Yeah, post here.  The spreadsheet is easier for me to edit than the table in the first post with so many participants.

Almost a pound down is nothing to shake a stick at, in my opinion.  You are the median loser for the week now, in a group full of health-conscious runners. Smile

I think I've said that I'm playing around with the fitbit weight loss plan that's tied to daily activity.  It definitely kicks my butt on the rest days, which might be why I've slid to 6 days a week running (splitting one easy day into two really easy days) this week.  I don't know how accurate the fitbit is for running, though, and I wonder if it's underestimating my calorie burn.  So this week, I am going to enter my runs manually and see if it helps.  I might have to back off a bit and go with a less aggressive plan, though.  Still, I kind of like being a bit ahead so that I can indulge a couple of times a week if a good opportunity comes up.

I got a fitbit for Xmas. I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I moved the steps goal to 15000 cause 10000 was just too easy to hit on running days. But I'm running 6 days a week too and it's still easy to hit my steps those days, but that 7th day is hard. But one of the reasons I got it was to help me move more throughout the day. But if I hit my step during my run it doesn't help me move more during the rest of the day. But if I move the count any higher then the 7th day (non running day) would be impossible. How are you using it for your steps?