Beginners and Beyond

Normal to get running shoes an entire size bigger than you wear in other shoes? (Read 115 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Size 13 here.  You know what they say......

Big Hands

Big Feet

Big kneecaps

But seriously, does it not piss anybody else off that they can't get sizing right by now??  I mean, a lot of these shoes are made in molds and I work with mold makers every day.  These folks are the most anal machinists in the whole world.  .0001" tolerances are not good enough for these guys.  .00005" are barely acceptable and yet we can't get shoes sizes to run within .5000" of eachother. (facepalm)

Shoes & clothing are both bad.  (Penguin shirt's XL are like a Men's Large.  Cabella's XL shirts are like a Men's XXXL......I just don't get this)

I'm actually off to return a size 12 pair of Air Jordan's tomorrow because they actually run so big they almost fit me......(actually fit my left foot perfectly, but right foot's just a tad larger)......so I'll have to go size 13 which will be a little roomy.  I have 10 year old Jordans that fit perfectly in size 13 so I have to scratch my head.  Maybe Nike's still getting their sizing down. 

Randy

Hip Redux

No, no, no! Let's not end the thread just yet! We need the shoe size of everyone on the forum, dress AND running, for our records. come on, people! 

11- 11.5 women's in my regular shoes

Newton's are 11.5

Trail shoes are 10.5 men's

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?

Big grin

Yugo18

He he!

6.5 regular shoes, 7.5 running shoes.  Fits just right, neither too loose nor too snug.  Even in Adidas, it's been the same regarding the size difference, and just fine.  The thing about Adidas running shoes is that they tend to run somewhat narrow, and, depending on the foot, that may make a difference in overall fit.

RabbitChaser

That's normal to me. I wear a 9 in dress shoes and a 10 in running shoes. My toes are the width of my thumb away from the end of the shoe. So far it has been working, I've never had a black toenail.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

If the salesperson recommended a shoe that is too big for you, I  would question if the advice to wear a stability shoe versus a neutral shoe is valid. The shoe size number shouldn't matter - what matters is that the shoe fits. When you stand , there should be your thumbs width distance from the tip of your toe to the front of the shoe.

If the shoe fits overall but is loose in the heel you can lace thru the other set of eyelets - they help to lock in the heel. There are actually a few things you can do by changing how you lace the shoe.

When I go shoe shopping I either wear or bring running socks with me.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

My running shows are 8s. My other shoes are 7s or 7.5s.

SheCan

So... I got new running shoes today. SUPER excited about them. Asics Kayano 20. Paid a small fortune but I think they'll work really well for me. Except.... I am afraid they are too big. Even though the guy at the LRS assisted they need to big that big....

I wear an 8.5 generally in non-running shoes. Every now and then I will fit into a 9 in something, but 95% of my shoes (and I have a lot of shoes....might be a little vice of mine) are 8.5. When I got fitted for running shoes for the first time, the LRS person who fitted me suggested I wear a 9 in running shoes. Feet swell when you run ect. ect. I took his advice and it was a good decision I think. I have worn a 9 in Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s for a year and never had an issue with the fit.

Today, though, the guy at the LRS insisted I need a 9.5. He gave the same spiel about feet swelling, ect. I have never worn a 9.5 in anything. I was reluctant but he was pretty insistent. The shoes felt fine in the store and I took them for a 2 mile run/walk outside after and they seemed fine. However, it is a cold day and I had thick wool socks on.

I got them home and tried them on again and I am afraid they are big. I can shove my toes all the way to the tip and fit a finger in between my heel and the heel of the shoe, and when I shove my heel all the way back to the heel of the shoe and put my thumb at the toe between my toe and the toe of the shoe, the width of my thumb sideways fits. Is that normal?

I get my running shoes a 1/2 size larger, and change out the insole for a sport insole which is slightly bulkier.  A full size large sounds like a bit much, imo.  Hope you can get your money back if they are not going to work.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

So... I got new running shoes today. SUPER excited about them. Asics Kayano 20. Paid a small fortune but I think they'll work really well for me. Except.... I am afraid they are too big. Even though the guy at the LRS assisted they need to big that big....

I wear an 8.5 generally in non-running shoes. Every now and then I will fit into a 9 in something, but 95% of my shoes (and I have a lot of shoes....might be a little vice of mine) are 8.5. When I got fitted for running shoes for the first time, the LRS person who fitted me suggested I wear a 9 in running shoes. Feet swell when you run ect. ect. I took his advice and it was a good decision I think. I have worn a 9 in Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s for a year and never had an issue with the fit.

Today, though, the guy at the LRS insisted I need a 9.5. He gave the same spiel about feet swelling, ect. I have never worn a 9.5 in anything. I was reluctant but he was pretty insistent. The shoes felt fine in the store and I took them for a 2 mile run/walk outside after and they seemed fine. However, it is a cold day and I had thick wool socks on.

I got them home and tried them on again and I am afraid they are big. I can shove my toes all the way to the tip and fit a finger in between my heel and the heel of the shoe, and when I shove my heel all the way back to the heel of the shoe and put my thumb at the toe between my toe and the toe of the shoe, the width of my thumb sideways fits. Is that normal?

I think this is the rule of thumb! hehe Yes to one full size bigger.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I used to agonize over this also, Kristin.  And that was with $65 liquidation shoes.  I used to run in "big" 12's, but over time I have preferred 11.5's with thinner socks.  They are lighter and I think I clench my toes more in the bigger shoe.  Funny how much of a difference there is in half a size.

What are these "regular" or "other" shoes that you speak about? Wink

Sorry, but I haven't bought anything except running shoes for over 10 yrs.

And I currently wear

Saucony Xodus 3 in 9.5 (my goto shoes with 3 pairs in rotation right now),

Hoka Stinson EvoTrail 8.5 (might be able to use an 8, but laces too short; have trouble with foot motion in shoe) and

Montrail Badrocks 9-9.5 (can accidentally mix the shoes and not notice, but can't get foot into size 9 after 13 hrs of running / hiking).

I have a wide forefoot and probably get shoes longer than needed if the manufacturers would do a decent forefoot width.

Sizes and widths, esp. in women's shoes, are like trail distances - maybe don't mean a lot.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      GC100k

Actually I've found running and basketball shoes pretty consistent in size.  I wear size 16 in those and the only time I had some that didn't fit was when I ordered 4E instead of D and they were too wide.  I can't try them on in stores, so I don't know for sure until they come in the mail, but the fit has been fine for many different brands and types.  I got some 15s a couple times, once because I really really wanted a certain shoe and the largest was 15 and once because my son got some that he hated and gave them to me.  Both times they felt okay trying them on but my toes hit the end when running and they lasted for one painful run.  I have some size 16 Kayanos that rub the ends of my toes just a bit, but that's only on very long runs.

I wear 15 in street shoes, but those are pretty inconsistent.  Some 15s are too small and some too big.  I got some size 15s from Eddie Bauer that I thought were the same model as the ones I was wearing, but they were a good 1.5" longer - way too big, like a 17 or 18.  I emailed Eddie Bauer a photo of the two together and they were clearly very different sizes.

11- 11.5 women's in my regular shoes

Newton's are 11.5

Trail shoes are 10.5 men's

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?

Big grin

Interesting.  I refer to myself as a size 11(Women's), mostly because that's the largest women's size available in most mainstream shoe stores.  When shopping for dress shoes, I often have to try on a couple dozen pairs to find one that's long enough, so I'm probably an 11.5 or 12 in reality.

My favorite Brooks Defyance are an 11.5 (Mens).

Hip Redux

Interesting.  I refer to myself as a size 11(Women's), mostly because that's the largest women's size available in most mainstream shoe stores.  When shopping for dress shoes, I often have to try on a couple dozen pairs to find one that's long enough, so I'm probably an 11.5 or 12 in reality.

My favorite Brooks Defyance are an 11.5 (Mens).

Someone who feels my pain!   Most of my running shoes have been men's sizing, the Newton's were the first in a long while that were women's (though it needed to be ordered because there's no real reason to have 11.5 in stock).

Finding nice shoes is impossible.  I actually had someone tell me to try a shoe store that catered to cross dressers, because they would carry bigger (AKA men's) sizes in dressy shoes. lol

LRB

I actually had someone tell me to try a shoe store that catered to cross dressers, because they would carry bigger (AKA men's) sizes in dressy shoes. lol

Well if the shoe fits who cares who else is in the building, wear that mutha f****!  ;-)

GC100k

Finding nice shoes is impossible.  I actually had someone tell me to try a shoe store that catered to cross dressers, because they would carry bigger (AKA men's) sizes in dressy shoes. lol

That's a real thing.  My daughter wears 15 and I'm not allowed to say what size my wife wears, but you can't buy them in stores.  About the only women's shoes in their sizes are old lady or drag queen.  Seriously, there are places that specialize in drag queen shoes, but the selection is exactly what you think it will be.

I buy my wife's running shoes.  She has narrow feet, especially in the heels, and really hates mens shoes, but there's more selection than you think in women's size 13 and up, and they can look quite girly, which she likes.