Beginners and Beyond

Respect the distance (Read 323 times)

MrNamtor

Re the passing of the joint gag:The illusion of most comedy is that the joker is not actually trying to make you laugh, but just acting on some idiosyncratic tic, and has no idea that he/she is actually doing something funny. Once the gag is exposed as "a joke", even (or maybe especially) if it's described as "funny", and therefore the motive of the joker exposed as trying to make you laugh, the mojo disappears.

If the joker is told the joke is funny, and the joker repeats the joke, he/she then becomes a pathetic begger for laughs and not the disruptive trickster he/she was previously seen as. And again, the mojo is gone.

xor

Thanks for explaining comedy.  Thank God that's not the same thing as explaining the internet.

Based on your definition, the mojo was never there.  (yet I still thought it was funny.  Oh well.)

"disruptive trickster"  Heh.  So the disruptive trickster was trying to come across as not intentionally trying to be funny.  Hmm.

My brain hurts.

xor

Dean Vernon Wormer: Greg, what is the worst fraternity on this campus?
        Greg Marmalard: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.
        Dean Vernon Wormer: Cut the horseshit, son. I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the varsity swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode.
        Greg Marmalard: You're talking about Delta, sir.
        Dean Vernon Wormer: Of course I'm talking about Delta, you TWERP!

MrNamtor

1)Thanks for explaining comedy.  Thank God that's not the same thing as explaining the internet.

2)Based on your definition, the mojo was never there.  (yet I still thought it was funny.  Oh well.)

3)"disruptive trickster"  Heh.  So the disruptive trickster was trying to come across as not intentionally trying to be funny.  Hmm.

4)My brain hurts.

1. Comedy is way more complex than the internet

2. Funny remarks wouldn't be funny if before each remark someone said "HERE'S A FUNNY REMARK!". Amiright?

3. I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about people who tell jokes, comedians, jesters. It's my analysis anyway. Like when you watch a sitcom, it doesn't seem like the people are actually trying to be funny. It seems like they are just being themselves, and who they are or how they express themselves is funny.

4. My brain's not as big as yours so it's probably less subject to hurting.

MrNamtor

5. Thanks for telling me how big the picture had to be. I didn't realize i needed to clear that with you before posting. But I'm glad you finally approved of the size.

happylily

This thread is full of testosterone. I like that. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

@runjerseygirl

This thread is full of testosterone. I like that. Big grin

+1.  Lots of chest thumping.

Do you even run?

Village people

Here you go, Mr Namtor.

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

I just have to thank you all.  My 5 year old had his tonsils and adenoids removed.  It has been a tough, house bound recovery.  This thread has made it all a little easier to tolerate!

monkkey

Is that a pillow?  Or maybe I'm just tired...

Here you go, Mr Namtor.

I

xor

5. Thanks for telling me how big the picture had to be. I didn't realize i needed to clear that with you before posting. But I'm glad you finally approved of the size.

I didn't tell you this.  I told you that the picture you were posting was really god damn large.  And you don't have to clear it with anyone; put your anger back in your pants.  My opinion was that the picture you posted endlessly (and funny-ly) was really god damn large.  The fact that it was really god damn large was funnier for some folks, but annoying for other folks.  Or maybe just me.

But I didn't tell you how big and you can post whatever you please.  Including really god damn large pictures.

PS, there are different kinds of humor.   And that's all ok.

Jolly Ranchers are this thread's version of 'have a popsicle'.  I can't eat jolly ranchers though.  So I will have a popsicle.

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Jolly ranchers are childish.

They weren't meant to be originally, but now they are and probably will be forevermore.

happylily

SRL and Namtor, there's enough love around here for you both. And you are both funny. Now stop this nonsense right now.

Mother has spoken. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Chairman

It's time to mail out some rulers and break out the camera phones. We're need to find out once and for all who has the biggest dick around here.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

xor

Jolly ranchers are childish.

They weren't meant to be originally, but now they are and probably will be forevermore.

So can someone finally 'splain that joke to me?  I never did get it.

As for The Nam, shit, I thought the joke was funny.  I thought I was being semi-play-along-with-the-joke by ragging on the picture size.  Didn't know that was going to be taken all that seriously, but okey doke.  Now I know what humor is and is not.  (edit: and I sincerely apologize for apparently pissing The Nam off by commenting on the picture size. As with dick size, it ain't that important.  The joke was funny. )

My popsicle made my hands sticky.

As for alpha male stuff, eh, it ain't me.  I have spent two days foolin around in this thread because it is ripe for foolin around.  This really isn't all that different than the amount of foolin around that happens in the chat threads and dailies.  I just pooped it all in here.