Beginners and Beyond

Just Need To Whine - NRR (Read 139 times)

Zelanie

I am so sorry that you're going through this!  I hope that you find something better soon!

hog4life

So sorry Banshee, perhaps this was just fate and that you would have grown to hate that job in a short while.

You have seen the dark side of unions and how they themselves can mistreat employees.  You said they would keep a crappy employee over a 'model' employee, which has no merit in a union theocracy.  For example, the Philadelphia school district is $300mil in the hole, this after they squandered many more hundreds of millions in stimulus funds the last 3 years.  So they laid off 3,000 employees last month.  Each school will now have 1 secretary, no guidance counselors, no aids, no nurses, no support staff.  The State will give it $100mil only if the union grants concessions.  (Avg teacher salary is $75k with $30k bennies and they claim the cannot afford to).  Anyway, yesterday the City somehow finds $50mil to let the schools open and higher back 1,000 of the laid off teachers.

Well the recalled teachers now have to be moved to different schools as they were laid off based on seniority.  Someone who was teaching 10th grade English in School A might now be teaching 3rd grade science in School K.  Makes no sense, but at least the union preserves its seniority.  Yes unions can suck in many ways.

Not necessarily relevant to what happened to you, just a sidebar as to how unions can pollute the work environment and make it difficult for an employer to retain/hire/attract the best employees when shitty work rules supersede the goal of the company.

This is a good point. There is no union at my company and never will be.

RSX

That really rots, and I'm sorry to hear. I can't believe a company would hire anyone if they were in this predicament. When I went through the interviewing process in prior years I did experience a few jobs that disappeared somewhere between round 1 and 2 because of the economy which I got. Loss of work doesn't happen over night.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

There are companies that value their employees. They may not always be able to show that in remuneration, but they can show it in the way they treat their employees and be flexible in meeting employee needs and schedules. One example is when I was getting divorced and would no longer be covered under my DW's health insurance, my employer increased my hours enough to qualify me for health insurance coverage there. They didn't have to do that, but they didn't want me to leave for another job to get health insurance.

I think this is rare to the point that the above example is exceptional. When my husband got laid off, I asked about getting health coverage for us here but they were not willing to say my hours were increased. I wasn't even looking for more money and I would have paid the total health care myself, but no one would even change my hourly status from 20 to 30. Leave for another job? Go ahead, there's a drawer full of resumes and a line at the door.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Jess runs for bacon

So sorry Banshee, perhaps this was just fate and that you would have grown to hate that job in a short while.

You have seen the dark side of unions and how they themselves can mistreat employees.  You said they would keep a crappy employee over a 'model' employee, which has no merit in a union theocracy.  For example, the Philadelphia school district is $300mil in the hole, this after they squandered many more hundreds of millions in stimulus funds the last 3 years.  So they laid off 3,000 employees last month.  Each school will now have 1 secretary, no guidance counselors, no aids, no nurses, no support staff.  The State will give it $100mil only if the union grants concessions.  (Avg teacher salary is $75k with $30k bennies and they claim the cannot afford to).  Anyway, yesterday the City somehow finds $50mil to let the schools open and higher back 1,000 of the laid off teachers.

Well the recalled teachers now have to be moved to different schools as they were laid off based on seniority.  Someone who was teaching 10th grade English in School A might now be teaching 3rd grade science in School K.  Makes no sense, but at least the union preserves its seniority.  Yes unions can suck in many ways.

Not necessarily relevant to what happened to you, just a sidebar as to how unions can pollute the work environment and make it difficult for an employer to retain/hire/attract the best employees when shitty work rules supersede the goal of the company.

Working in the construction industry near Philly made me intensely dislike unions. Like massively.

But on the flip side, I used to be the person that would have to tell the guys their hours were cut. It sucked.

have you considered getting into a completely different industry? I have lots of weird skills so I look for places I want to work, then try to find something there I can do. I can't apply for anyhting highly specialized but there's usually something.

aponi

never runs the tangents

That is terrible. I think you are well within your rights to throw shit.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Jess runs for bacon

That is terrible. I think you are well within your rights to throw shit.

You always say the right things. Seconded.

Trail Monster

Banshee- I happen to know that Mitch's company is hiring at multiple locations, and who to contact.  When you said mill, are we talking steel?

Yep. I'm in quality control and quality assurance in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Mostly power plant, steel mill, pipeline, and fab jobs. If there is anything I don't have to relocate for please pass it along! Thanks!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

Thanks everyone! They laid off 27 more people today so I'd say the end is near for this company. Thankfully I will be back at the old job Monday.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks everyone! They laid off 27 more people today so I'd say the end is near for this company. Thankfully I will be back at the old job Monday.

Great news about the old job.  Keep looking and some other door will open.

Damaris

Jess runs for bacon

Glad to hear abour the old job. Damn that's a lot of people Sad

No more marathons

And so the old job fits more into the mold that wcrunner defined?  I guess I'm nieve enought to expect the best of people rather than the worst, and the reason you don't hear more about the good companies is because noone is ragging on them - no need.

MTA:  so glad you got the old job back.  Your experience was an incredible piece of bad luck and bad timing (and shitting planning on the part of management)

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Trail Monster

And so the old job fits more into the mold that wcrunner defined?  I guess I'm nieve enought to expect the best of people rather than the worst, and the reason you don't hear more about the good companies is because noone is ragging on them - no need.

MTA:  so glad you got the old job back.  Your experience was an incredible piece of bad luck and bad timing (and shitting planning on the part of management)

My old job was/is (?) lots of travel, unpredictable hours, and craziness. On Monday my old/new boss and I are going to try to hash out some ground rules for my return that will satisfy both of us (AKA stability and dependability for me).

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Never got to post mid-thread, but seeing this is great. Not quite awesome, but very good. It's likely that your previous employer DID value you.

Lesson here for all - never burn bridges that you may have to cross again some day. Banshee didn't and as a result, she's back to work on Monday.

If you ever find yourself working in Chattanooga, I'll buy you lunch.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Yep. I'm in quality control and quality assurance in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Mostly power plant, steel mill, pipeline, and fab jobs. If there is anything I don't have to relocate for please pass it along! Thanks!

Do you deal with nuclear plants? Demand in some jobs in nuclear is high. Very regimented working conditions though. Everything you do has a written procedure and you have to follow it even if it is the absolute dumbest possible way to perform the task.

Still, there is good money in Nuclear. Possible travel as well though, unless you get in with a company that owns a plant or two (or 3) like, say, FirstEnergy Corporation or down here at TVA.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54