Beginners and Beyond

Freezing FRIDAILIES (Read 50 times)

outoftheblue

I will definitely try this.  Thanks Rick!

Life is good.

onemile

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor but i

Now then, picture yourself sitting in a chair with proper posture; 

Place a ball around the size of a cantaloupe between your knees (or your fists side by side, or two pillows) and squeeze your knees together at 50 % pressure for a count of five, then relax for a count of five (without letting the ball drop).

To get a feel for what 50% pressure is squeeze your knees together with all your might briefly, then use half of that. 

A PT showed me this and when I do it I sometimes get a painful popping where my hip socket is, on the inside. It happened at an appointment and the PT heard it pop and he said it corrected my leg length discrepancy.   So now I pop it on my own sometimes.  I can only do it sometimes, most often after a long run.  But when I can do it, it seems to make my right leg feel better when I am having issues.   Weird,  huh?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My 5 miles after Pilates were tough.  Couldn't breathe or I'm tired.  Still, it's my RD so I just moved a run so maybe it's that.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You guys are cracking me up with all these posts!

Damaris

In my limited experience, the tough thing about Boston is overcoming the temptation to go out *way* too fast for way too long. You start on a fairly major downhill.  The crowds begin to build after the first couple miles.  You're running Boston and everyone around you is at a similar pace.  This is awesome!  Then,  Wellesley is loaded with cray-cray girls that make Beatles footage seem tame.  Then, you get to 14-15, start to pay for your indiscretion, and boom, here comes Newton at 16.    The hills aren't even bad, but like Lily and George said, they are right where trouble tends to happen anyway.  Pew, pew (lasers), #crashandburn.

Yasso 800s today Big grin, 9.95 total.

Hip Redux

A PT showed me this and when I do it I sometimes get a painful popping where my hip socket is, on the inside. It happened at an appointment and the PT heard it pop and he said it corrected my leg length discrepancy.   So now I pop it on my own sometimes.  I can only do it sometimes, most often after a long run.  But when I can do it, it seems to make my right leg feel better when I am having issues.   Weird,  huh?

Sounds like your psoas snapping across your hip.  A tight psoas can also cause a leg length discrepancy.

LRB

I know right?

Mine makes no sound however so I have no idea anything changed until days (or sometimes weeks) later when I realize either one of my hips or my stupid SI joint doesn't hurt anymore.

I have a leg length discrepancy as well so maybe we are at a higher risk to these occurrences where a simple misstep off a curb while running can cause the hip region to go corrupt.

Little Blue

My massage guy adjusts my pelvis in a similar fashion.  He'll put the heel of his hand on the inside of my knee, with his elbow on the inside of the other knee.  Then I squeeze squeeze squeeze as hard as I can.  Then he reverses it and holds my knees from the outside while I try to push his hands apart.

The first time he did it, I really didn't appreciate it.  For days after, I could feel that my legs were in a different alignment, and I kept kicking myself in the ankles when I ran.  But I must have been really out of line, because now when he does it, I don't feel as dramatic a difference.

Interesting idea to be able to do it to yourself.  I wonder if I have a cantelope?

LRB

In my limited experience, the tough thing about Boston is overcoming the temptation to go out *way* too fast for way too long. You start on a fairly major downhill.  The crowds begin to build after the first couple miles.  You're running Boston and everyone around you is at a similar pace.  This is awesome!  Then,  Wellesley is loaded with cray-cray girls that make Beatles footage seem tame.  Then, you get to 14-15, start to pay for your indiscretion, and boom, here comes Newton at 16.    The hills aren't even bad, but like Lily and George said, they are right where trouble tends to happen anyway.  Pew, pew (lasers), #crashandburn.

Yasso 800s today Big grin, 9.95 total.

You do your 800's in 2 minutes and 20 seconds? lol

onemile

Interesting idea to be able to do it to yourself.  I wonder if I have a cantelope?

Mine had me do it with a pillow folded around a foam roller.  For awhile I just used this big stuffed ball dog toy.  Now I just squeeze my knees together hard without anything between them and it'll pop.  (it does it much less frequently when I am not doing long runs / long workouts). I have probably only done it once in the last few months... I try randomly when my leg hurts.

LRB

My massage guy adjusts my pelvis in a similar fashion.  He'll put the heel of his hand on the inside of my knee, with his elbow on the inside of the other knee.  Then I squeeze squeeze squeeze as hard as I can.  Then he reverses it and holds my knees from the outside while I try to push his hands apart.

The first time he did it, I really didn't appreciate it.  For days after, I could feel that my legs were in a different alignment, and I kept kicking myself in the ankles when I ran.  But I must have been really out of line, because now when he does it, I don't feel as dramatic a difference. 

That is exactly how it is done when someone is assisting you.  The maneuver is definitely useful for runners.

And anything can serve as an object to squeeze so long as it is not too wide.

Ankle kicking is a sign of weak hips by the way.

Cyberic

Am I the only runner who never gets massages, goes to a PT, rolls and stuff? Sometimes I feel like I should from reading you guys.

onemile

Ankle kicking is a sign of weak hips by the way.

Interesting. I remember doing this on occasion training for my first marathon. I don't anymore.

sometimes get a painful popping where my hip socket is, on the inside....   So now I pop it on my own sometimes.  I can only do it sometimes, most often after a long run.  But when I can do it, it seems to make my right leg feel better when I am having issues.   Weird,  huh?

Exact. same. thing. happens to me.   Leg-length discrepancy correction, eh?  Cool info.  Sometimes it's a minor pop, sometimes it's a loud boom, but it always feels better immediately afterwards.

LRB

Interesting. I remember doing this on occasion training for my first marathon. I don't anymore.

Nice. You got stronger and/or more efficient.

Ankle kicking can also be a result of lazy running, where you are not paying attention to what you are doing. Not that I ever do that. lol