Beginners and Beyond

Thomas House 10k RR - My first AG medal! (Read 71 times)

Brilliant

I know I’m slow by most standards, and it was a small field.  Still… it was super fun to get my first AG award!  

The leader of my running club is the race director for this local 5k/10k, and pretty much everyone in the club does the race.  So peer pressure was the main reason I signed up.    My last 10k was almost a year and a half ago, at 1:01:49.  I really wanted to get under an hour today, but I haven’t done any speedwork at all geared toward the 5k or 10k distance, so I wasn’t sure if my conditioning had improved enough for that.  I had tried a couple of tempo runs at goal pace in the last 3 weeks, but could barely keep the pace for 3 miles.  I wonder if that’s because the first time was at the tail end of marathon training, and the second time was a week after the marathon!  

Before the race, I ran a .6 mile warmup to work out the sluggishness.  (note to self for later, I probably should make it closer to a mile warmup).  I wanted to make sure I didn’t go out too fast, but I didn’t want to go out too slow either and have a big deficit that I needed to make up.  So I kept a close eye on my watch. I started off at goal pace of about 9:40, but gradually sped up because I felt pretty good. The only time I wondered if I could keep up the pace was right after mile 4:  “uh oh, I need to do this for another 2 miles?”  But I kept focusing on the finish line.  I was running in a weird zone of disbelief that it looked like I would finish in under 58 minutes.  And I did!  My official time was 57:48.

My splits were

9:18
    9:22
    9:23
    9:14
    9:27
    9:20
    8:56

When I saw that I had placed 4th in my age group, my first thought was to discount the whole idea, “Well, I probably came in 4th out of 4.” But then my friend pointed out that the race was going 5 deep with the AG medals. And suddenly I didn’t care if I came in 4th out of whatever…I was getting an AG medal!  (it turned out to be 4th out of 15). 

I feel really good about the race.  It was the second time in two months that I set a goal for myself that I wasn’t quite sure if I could meet, and I beat it.  I kinda needed that boost after the recent disastrous LA Marathon.   It confirms my plan to focus on shorter distances for a while (13.1 and less).

workinprogress11

Congratulations on the AG award. Isn't it a great feeling to exceed expectations?  Great job!

Hip Redux

Sweet!!  Congrats on the AG bling!

Woot!  Congrats!

From the Internet.

The only time I wondered if I could keep up the pace was right after mile 4:  “uh oh, I need to do this for another 2 miles?”  

That sounds about right for a 10K! Awesome job and congrats on the AG award!! Big grin

FWIW I like to warm up for at least 1.5 if not 2 miles with some strides thrown in at the end before a race - with your mileage, experimenting with longer warmups shouldn't tax you too much.

LRB

That is a pretty impressive smile! Nice job on finishing strong and pouring it all out that last mile. It's time to ESU, you have earned it.

Little Blue

Woo hoo!  Great job on the AG award!  And for coming in sub-goal. That's one happy runner pic!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You look much happier than the LA Marathon.  Congrats !!!

tracilynn

Fantastic time and beautiful splits. Congrats!

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

All those miles that you put in training for the marathon gave you the stamina to hold on with this race.  They should help in all your races over the next few months. Congratulations on the medal.

Given the conditions you faced in your marathon, don't be hard on yourself for not doing as well as you'd hoped.  Nobody does well in that kind of heat.  Next time will be better.

hog4life

Awesome, awesome, awesome, Congrats! That is a great picture of you too.

PADRunner

WTG Bri! Congrats on the AG & PR.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Well done!

and echo Lauren!

happylily

That is just too cool! Well done, Brilliant! You look radiant with joy in your picture.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Congrats on the AG Award and 10K PR!    Woohoo!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot