Beginners and Beyond

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Sundailies! (Read 33 times)

LRB

Hey guys!  I broke a tooth last night...

Pics or it didn't happen.  You know the rules! 

LRB

20 miles today.

72 for the week.

308 for the month.

You light-weights may address me as Sir Loin of Beef.

FYP. 

Zelanie

Pics or it didn't happen.  You know the rules! 

Trust me, nobody wants to see that.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't care much how many calories are calculated. It's just because LRB and you brought it up. My only opinion on the subject is that serious sites like Garmin and Training Peaks must have put some thought and science in their algorithm. NTIWKAAT Big grin

MTA: And I might be heavier than you, but believe me, overweight is NOT a qualifier that describes me well.

I don't know you, but I would say you're the famous clydsedale size (I can't spell it) - you know, tall and broad and stuff?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

lol

Okay my beautiful mermaid, I will let you slide this time but don't make it a habit.

LRB

LRB

Look at you go C99!

DavePNW

Most articles I've read say that even heavy/overweight people don't burn much more than 100-120 calories a mile, not to mention the longer you run the less energy/calories your body burns in effort. Beginners/newbies burn/use more when they start running than what they burn/use a year or 2 down the road. I always make sure to update my weight in my garmins to make sure they are close to correct in the calories burned, and then of course I subtract a hundred or two off of that.

From the standpoint of physics: Calories are a unit of energy. Work is the energy associated with the a force acting over a distance, which is what is happening when you run. Work = Force x Distance. The force required to move you is overcoming the force of gravity, which is a function of mass (your weight). So essentially the energy you use to run (calories burned) is a function only of your weight and the distance. Which is why those are the only 2 numbers you plug into most calculators, like the one right here on RA.

The caveat is the distance is the total distance traveled - horizontal (which you measure) plus vertical (which you usually don't). So you do burn more calories if you are climbing hills; also if you are running fast (presumably getting a bit more air under you) vs. just shuffling along. Which is why running burns more calories/mile than walking. But in general the formulas using only weight & distance are close enough for any real-world use - not sure why anyone would need it to be much more accurate than that.

Dave

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Marjorie

Cyberic

Look at you go C99!

That's what the smiley is about. I thought it was pretty smooth of my part to use that acronym. Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! Disneyland HM done with hubby. Man, the Orlando races are so much better. Five minutes in a water station without a way to go around it was among the tight disasters of this race. We had fun though and he got his second moon on the Fanatics.

Damaris

Cyberic

From the standpoint of physics: Calories are a unit of energy. Work is the energy associated with the a force acting over a distance, which is what is happening when you run. Work = Force x Distance. The force required to move you is overcoming the force of gravity, which is a function of mass (your weight). So essentially the energy you use to run (calories burned) is a function only of your weight and the distance. Which is why those are the only 2 numbers you plug into most calculators, like the one right here on RA.

The caveat is the distance is the total distance traveled - horizontal (which you measure) plus vertical (which you usually don't). So you do burn more calories if you are climbing hills; also if you are running fast (presumably getting a bit more air under you) vs. just shuffling along. Which is why running burns more calories/mile than walking. But in general the formulas using only weight & distance are close enough for any real-world use - not sure why anyone would need it to be much more accurate than that.

Yep. But I find power would be a better way to describe how I feel I've worked. Power being work / time. Running 10 k easy, and running 10 k fast does not have the same effect on me, even though I used know they are the same amount of work.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Saturday morning: car was in the shop for routine maintenance, so did a run/walk in the area around my house.  Out my front door. up a street in my neighborhood, then diverted off the road and onto the trails of the park that backs up to my subdivision.  Worked my way through the park, came out of the far side of my neighborhood and threw in 5 hills on the way back to my house.  Ended up with 4.5 miles in a very sedate and pleasant 53 minutes and something.

After that I was pretty much lazy, lazy, lazy for the rest of Saturday - very enjoyable too! - and watched college football most of the day and night.  Most of the teams I wanted to win did win.  However, I don't get the NCAA schedule sometimes, how they match up some of these teams... for pete's sake...Notre Dame playing Rice....Texas playing North Texas....etc., etc.....never understand why these 'schedulers' do that....."Hey, let's put this really big, powerful team against this little team and then we can gleefully watch as the score gets really run up."   Sheesh.  Of course, sometimes that doesn't always work out.  My university  team - as one of the announcers described them on Friday night on ESPN " tiny little UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio, team name RoadRunners) ...shocked the hell out of University of Houston by beating them 27-7.   And Hawaii last night came SO close to almost beating the Washington Huskies (final score 17 - 16).  And last year, Michigan State with Appalachia....but Michigan sure whomped up on them yesterday in some 'payback"  (which is too bad, since I can't stand either the damn Spartans of the damn Wolverines).     Even so, some of these team match-ups scheduled each year just seem asinine to me.

Sunday morning:  Drove over to another favorite local park and did 5K distance in 34 minutes on shaded off-road and paved trails. Weather was actually pleasant for a change, only 73 degrees at 8 a.m., dew-point in the 60s, lots of cloud cover and a nice breeze.  Rain has been 'threatening' the last 2 days around here but so far Mother Nature is being really nasty about it and not letting it drop in my area, although lots of area around us got some pretty nice downpours.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well...maybe if you put the piece of tooth on your chest just above your jogbra... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have to admit I skimmed through most of the first paragraph, the 2nd made sense to me 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)