Beginners and Beyond

Today I learned... (Read 118 times)

Hip Redux

...that the "New England" style hot dog bun is not common outside of the northeast and that the rest of the country is using some sort of hoagie/sub roll.

Is this right?  How can this be?  I feel like millions of people are missing out on the right way to eat a hot dog.

From the Internet.

Do what now?? Anything that's not a hot dog roll is an overwhelming amount of bread for a hot dog!

I've also read that steak tips are not really a thing outside of this region. Further proof that the rest of the country has prollems and as such I can't ever move out of New England :P

Hip Redux

Do what now?? Anything that's not a hot dog roll is an overwhelming amount of bread for a hot dog!

RIGHT?

This is the RIGHT way to eat a hot dog, all toasty buttery goodness enveloping the hot dog:

THIS IS WRONG:

This is a New England hot dog roll, if you aren't familiar:

From the Internet.

We should start some kind of public awareness campaign. That just isn't right.

Hip Redux

We should start some kind of public awareness campaign. That just isn't right.

We must.

I mean... what's next?  Grilled Italian sausages subs without grilled onions and peppers?

delicate flower

THIS IS WRONG:

What the hell is this monstrosity?

<3

We must.

You guys...the Yankee way is to quietly know that our way is the right way, to silently smile and politely nod, and inwardly smugly appreciate our superiority - you need only act when our way is threatened, which in this case, it is assuredly not.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think we use the NE hot dog but this is our typical hot dog bun:

Damaris

Hip Redux

Does the outside look the same as the inside? No crust?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes.  Well it looks like this.

Damaris

happylily

Steamies (SteaméWink

Steamé (also stiméWink, referred to in English as “Steamies”, is Montreal Hot dogs that was briefly used by an Ontario chain (affiliated with the La Belle Province chain), which are fresh from the steamer and rather soft, or toasté (referred to in English as “Toasties&rdquoWink, which are grilled or toasted until crisp. Toastés are slightly more expensive and are less popular. (Read more on Wikipedia)

Come to Frenchies to enjoy authentic Montreal Hot Dogs!

Hot dogs are kind of gross, are they not? 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

You know hot dogs are really bad for us, right?

They do look good though! Lol

Hip Redux

Yes.  Well it looks like this.

That's just a hamburger bun, in hot dog shape.

I had no idea there was an authentic Montreal hot dog!  See, I'm learning all sorts of things today.

Hip Redux

You guys...the Yankee way is to quietly know that our way is the right way, to silently smile and politely nod, and inwardly smugly appreciate our superiority - you need only act when our way is threatened, which in this case, it is assuredly not.

LOL

Hot dog rolls (east coast) / buns (west coast) that I've used all my life didn't really vary from east to west coast and looked a bit like this. Although I admit I don't think I ever ate a hot dog in NE.

Hoagie rolls are much larger - would take about 4 standard hot dogs to fill one. And I've never seen true hoagie rolls outside the Philadelphia area. Closest I've seen is something like a baquette. You can fight over terminology since there *is* a difference.

And I'd like some Tastykake chocolate cupcakes for dessert and soft pretzels for a snack (preferably during a Philies game at Connie Mack Stadium. Not sure if that exists anymore.) And it's only been since I've been in Alaska that I figured out where the name "scrapple" came from. And then there's Taylor pork roll.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog