Beginners and Beyond

St. Luke's HM RR - April's Pity Party (long, but with pics!) (Read 116 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

This is a race report I didn’t want to write. However, peer pressure did me in, and I felt the need to clear up some minor inaccuracies in the RR that Bruce wrote on my behalf. Wink

You know how they say to shoot for the moon and you’ll land upon the stars? Well, what they neglected to say is sometimes you plummet back to earth, bruised and battered, wondering WTF just happened.

This past Sunday was my spring goal race. It was St. Luke’s Half Marathon in lovely Allentown, PA. This was the second time running this course; my PR(2:13)  is actually from the same race last year. This was my fifth HM.

Training went great. I have slowly been upping my miles since the beginning of the year and the past couple months I’ve been running 35-40mpw with long runs in the 10-12 mile range. I had one 13.23 mile run that went splendidly. I ran a 10k in February in 57:36 – a PR in by about 2 and a half minutes despite the course being a disgusting slushy mess. I ran a hilly 5k in March (99 feet of elevation gain in the FIRST .31 mile!) in 28:32, about 40 seconds off my PR. I ran another 10k in April in 56:06.

Throughout my training I felt that 2:05-2:08 was highly attainable. My friend offered to pace me at the HM and I took him up on the offer.

Pre-race: I met my running group on Saturday morning and ran an easy 3 miles. Most of us were running the race the next day and we were all so excited. We went to breakfast (as we always do) and that evening we partook in “BCR Carb-Loading Extravaganza.” I ate delicious food (but not too much!) and got home a little before 8pm. I went to bed a little after 9 and slept reasonably well. My alarm went off at 5:30.

I woke up, drank a cup of coffee, and just relaxed for 45 minutes or so. I made an english muffin with PB&J and ate a banana. I ate the english muffin on the way to the race.

We got to the school a little after 7 and I searched for my friends in the gymnasium. I found Jess (lilac_jive) and the rest of my running group. Jess and I ended up getting in line for the indoor bathroom and Margo (Philliefan33) found us. The first thing she said made me laugh: “So, your name really IS April!” (Our names are on our bibs) It was her first HM and she was excited. We got our picture taken.

RACE TIME! Dave and I lined up between the 2:00 and 2:10 groups. Our friends Bob and Angie decided to run with us as well. Bob hadn’t trained much for the race, and even though he’s capable of 1:50’s he decided to stick with us to have fun. Angie just ran Boston in 3:36 and was also running the HM for fun.

My goal pace for the entire race was 9:30-9:45. I was a little concerned because the first 6 miles were all flat, then the 4 miles after that were in the parkway and moderately hilly, then the last 3 miles were flattish until the gigantic hill going into the stadium to finish. I wanted to hold goal pace for the first 6 miles, then I expected to slow down slightly on the hills, and I wanted to finish strong in the last few miles.

Or so she thought.

The first 4 miles were great. I felt good and was on pace. In mile 5 I started feeling off. I got goosebumps that refused to go away, despite it being warm and sunny with minimal wind. Mile 5 was still right around pace, but I decided to walk through the next water stop. And that’s when I fell apart.

The rest of the race was terrible for me, mentally and physically. My legs didn’t want to move and mentally I was done. I didn’t want to do it anymore. I remember mile 7 chiming on my watch and saying to Dave “I don’t think I can do this for another hour.” In mile 8, the 2:10 pace group passed me. Then we passed a medical tent and I seriously considered making up some bullshit excuse as to why I had to stop running and just quit right there. I had never wanted to quit in a race SO BADLY before.

In mile 9, the 2:15 pace group ran past me. Ugh. Then the two firemen in full gear carrying American flags passed me in mile 10. But hey, they passed me in mile 8 last year, so progress?

At mile 11.5, we came upon a “hydration stop” out of the back of an SUV. Some guys were handing out cups of beer. As I ran up to them, I said “I’m having a shitty race and could REALLY use this right now, so thanks.” Best beer I’ve ever tasted. (Fun fact: One of my friends posted a picture of the “hydration stop” on Facebook later. I didn’t realize he was helping to man it. I thanked him in his post)

Eventually, I finished the damn race. I ran up into the stadium and did my lap around the track and as I crossed the finish line I did some goofy arms-in-the-air thing I’ve never done before. I got my medal and sat down and drank some water. Final time was 2:19:20, 6 minutes off my PR.

My running group had a good post-race lunch at the local brewery and they all helped me feel better. When I got home I cried. Who does that? I was just so disappointed in myself.

I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting over what went wrong. During the race I thought maybe I was coming down with a virus, and to tell the truth I was disappointed when I didn’t wake up on Monday sick as a dog. That would have been a good excuse for my poor performance. I think performing to my full potential freaked me out and I psyched myself out. If I had made my goal JUST to PR, and started out at 2:10 pace, I think I would have been fine. I have mental blocks about running certain paces (even in training) and I think it ruined me that day.

So, what’s next? I registered for a 5k on May 11 that I’m going to try to PR. And I start marathon training on May 13. It will be my first marathon and my only goal is to finish. During the race, Dave joked that it was good training in case I had to death march during the marathon. I told him that wasn’t helping. Smile

So, I guess that’s all for me today. Sorry it was so long and if you got this far you’re amazing. Thanks for reading.

Just B.S.

April, you have made great progress in your running. If one runs enough races you will eventually

have a crappy race that you thought you were totally prepared for. It happens to the best of us. And

some days we don't race well and there really is no explanation as to why.

I loved your honestly is this report. This line make me laugh.

seriously considered making up some bullshit excuse as to why I had to stop running and

just quit right there.

But you persevered and didn't quit and that is what makes you a winner. Plus you looked really

cute!!

Hey you just ran your 5th half marathon. There are lots of people who would love to say that no

matter what the finish time.

Congrats!

Jess runs for bacon

BUT DID YOU NOTICE YOU HAD A FLOATER ON THE TRACK???

Also, I wanted to mention that if there is an east coast race you want to do, remember I need expo help Smile

I know that your  time had nothing to do with bad training or bad attitude, and you finished despite it all. That's something to be proud of.

B-Plus

Bruce, is that you?

I'm glad you caved to the peer pressure and wrote your report. You didn't get what you want on this day, but this experience is going to help build character for that next time (hopefully a long time away) that it starts to suck out there.

Well, you've already ready my comments in the Dailies on the weekend, so I'll just say that it's great that you're still smiling at the finish. Let's shake this race off and start looking forward to that 5k PR.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think you should be disappointed in yoursf.  We all have bad and shitty races (trust me on this) and some do not even have an explanation as to why.  Sorry you did not hit your but this time does not reflect what you are capable of.  So, chin up, shake it off and start marathon training.  I can't wait to see it!

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bad races happen, we all know that. You will do better next time out. Besides, you had a nice FE, a great floater, and lunch at a brewery!

BruceD555

April - Thank you! It took a whole lot of courage for you to go through with writing up the race report and posting it but I really do think it is beneficial and even therapeutic to help process those bad experiences. Your training was AWESOME throughout the winter and you've been logging great miles in preparation for that race. However, just like Beth said - sometimes we just can't race and there is no logical explanation as to why.

Not trying to detract or get OT, but my very first HM was something similar. I had trained pretty well and had actually already ran 2 long runs past the 13.1 that I finished around 1:55. I went into the race expecting to run 1:50 or better but on race day it was warm and by mile 6 I found myself walking with my scalp tingling almost like I was cold. (I think it was early heat exhaustion/de-hydration) I barely ended up under 2:00 and was majorly disappointed.

Again, I'm sorry you had such a rough race. Your pictures are so stinking cute and I love the floater on the track. Also, the final picture really sums things up for me. Even after suffering through the messy race and finishing with disappointment, you managed a smile WHILE holding the medal. You didn't give up and cash it in when everything in your mind & body was telling you quit at the medical tent. Good work and I can't wait to see you smash up that 5k in a couple of weeks.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Pinktastic

April, good for you for caving in to peer pressure!   While your RR was not nearly as amusing as April/Bruce's, I do like yours better.   It takes a lot of courage to write something so candid and then to share that with all of us.   I've been watching your training, and I know that whatever happened (or didn't happen) in your race, it wasn't because you were under-trained or that you went into it with delusional ideas of what you're capable of doing.    You had excellent training and your posts have always shown that you are good at reflecting on where you are and what you can do on any given day.

I think that the only conclusion is that sometimes we all have crappy runs, and unfortunately, you had one during your goal race.   You can't really do anything to prepare for that, but the good news is that you persisted and you finished despite having such a bad run.   You were tempted to quit, but you did NOT.   Some days winning isn't about coming in first or when you planned to, but it's about getting it done despite obstacles.   You completed a race that many, many couldn't even attempt and that many more would have quit if they encountered the same situation.

You are a winner, April!   I mean that sincerely.   Keep up the hard work - it is paying off for you and we can see that in your log.   Good luck in your next PR effort!!  And, I am totally looking forward to watching your marathon training because I think you're going to ROCK it!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Nice RR April (my DWs name, btw). I really stinks missing a goal. The good things about the situation is that you can pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back out there and try to get it again. Good luck in your 5k!

- Andrew

Hip Redux

April, I was so impressed by your training and your races leading up to this HM, that I know that this race doesn't define you and the runner you are.

Thanks for writing the RR though - it is a learning experience for everyone and my God, I had to get Bruce's version out of my head. lol

Philliefan33

April, I understand that you are disappointed in the race, especially after feeling so well-prepared.  It's just one of those things that you have to say to yourself "Well that sucked" and forget about it.

Good luck with the marathon training!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, everyone, for your words of encouragement.

Beth, I've accepted that I just had a bad day. It just so happened that it was my goal race which was unfortunate, but hey, what can ya do?

Jess, I seem to get at least one floater out of my race pics lately. I always post that one. Big grin And hey, the 8:43 "fuck this shit" pace in the last .14 mile helped.

B+, thanks again for your support. Smile

D, thanks for everything through this whole process. You were the first person I told (other than my running group, who obviously saw it in action, ha) and you've been a great friend.

Jack, the brewery is great. I had an Amber lager and it was delicious!

Bruce, thanks for being the MAIN REASON I posted this report. Wink Mine may have been heat-related too. I just remember being really warm but not FEELING warm. I guess we'll never know. I don't want to say I'm glad that you had an experience like mine (because nobody should) but it helps being in good company who knows what it's like.

Sarah, thank you. Smile

Andrew, thanks! I'm nervous about my 5k, haha, because the last thing I need is another blowup. But hey, it's only 26 minutes or so of being totally miserable. I dealt with that for an hour and a half. 26 minutes is nothing.

Oski, Smile Thanks.

Margo, thanks. Marathon training in the summer will be interesting but it's my 4th summer running so I'll probably survive it. Once again, it was great to meet you!

hog4life

You are a winner in my book! Smile

Great job, April.

Even though you were having a bad race, you sucked it up and finished, and sometimes that's the best we can do.  Far better than DNFing.

Hope the 5K goes much better for you.

Luke79

I think a 5k is exactly what you need.  Change the pace (literally) for a bit and regroup.  Great RR btw.