Boston Marathon 2009

Boston Spectators (Read 587 times)

I need a little advice from the experienced Boston marathon participants. Seeing as this will probably be my only Boston Marathon, I had planned to bring my wife and kid(s) for the marathon. Here in Cincinnati, it's fairly easy for them to follow me through the race, and see me at several points. We are now starting to reconsider this idea. First, the money, but I can deal with that if needed. Second, I've heard that the logistics of getting from point A to point B on marathon day in Boston are a nightmare. I would hate to have the family come to see me run, and then not see me. Can anyone comment on this? Just so you know, I've been to Boston many times for work, so I know that travel is difficult anyway. Thanks in advance.
    Str1der

Some people do it. Last year was my 1st Boston. My wife and daughter just set up chairs and sat and watched on Boylston and watched all the racers coming in. They found it very exciting watch the 1st men and women, and then of course there was Lance. I personally think the most important place for them to see you is at the finish and you have to get there early to get a good spot, plus it is easier on them. But like I said - some people do it.
        These appear to have been created for someone approaching Hopkinton from the South by car, then heading East just ahead of the runners. Originally posted by btb1490 in Boston 2008 forum, this sounds like good information: I got an email with this info. Hopefully this helps. Rt. 495 North to Exit 21 B. Proceed to parking lot on South Street. Shuttle to Start Line. Start at 1030 A.M. Shuttle back to parking lot. 495 North to Mass Pike East Exit 22. Exit 12 Framingham from Pike to Rte 9 East. Approx 2 miles to Right on Main Street towards Framingham Center. Main Street becomes Union Street. Park near Rotary walk to course 6 1/2 mile mark. Approx time 11:40 A.M.. Return to car Bear Right (Concord Street Rte 126) follow back to 9 East. Exit Rte 27 South towards Natick Center. Park as close as possible and walk to course 10 mile mark. Approx time 12:20 P.M.. Return to car proceed North on Rt 27 back to 9 East. Cross under Rte 16 Wellesley Center. Exit Cedar Street turn left at light. Proceed to road block and ask to park in lot on right. Walk to course 16 mile mark. Approx time 1:20 P.M. Return to car take cedar street back to Rte 9 East. Turn Left on Hammond Street follow through Chestnut Hill at light Bear Right up one way to top of Heartbreak Hill Mile 21. Approx time 2:15 P.M. Stay Right onto Priscilla Street and Left at end onto Hammond Street down hill straight through light and back to Rte 9 East into Boston. Park near the Marriott across from the Westin Hotel walk to Finish Line (Boylston side of Public Library) Approx time 3:10 P.M. Meet at Finish or in Westin Hotel 7th floor Parliament and Adams Room at 3:30 P.M.. MTA: addendum to the above by another person... My wife has successfully watched me running in 5 previous Bostons from 4 different places en route. The Runner's world suggestions aren't bad, but I'd recommend some improvements. For the 2nd stop - instead of exit 12 on the Mass Pike, get off at Exit 13 in Natick, go all the way down Speen St., until just before it hits 135. You can park 1/4 mile from the road and the crowds are sparse. The problem with going down Rte 27 is that is is a mob scene there in downtown Natick and will be difficult to hook up (and park). For the 3rd stop - get back on the pike and get off at Exit 17. Stay left and Loop around to follow the road heading back (west). At the 2nd or 3rd light, take a left onto Chestnut St. Follow that to Comm Ave. This is right around mile 17. Parking is plentiful and spectators can spread out on the grassy Island. Finally, heading back into town, many roads are closed in Boston. It's hard to get to the Mariott. Better to get on Storrow Drive, get off at Arlington and park at the Boston Common and walk up from there

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm hoping to have a couple of Boston native friends volunteer to drive the family around. I was really concerned that they were not going to be able to see me at all!
            Some people do it. Last year was my 1st Boston. My wife and daughter just set up chairs and sat and watched on Boylston and watched all the racers coming in. They found it very exciting watch the 1st men and women, and then of course there was Lance. I personally think the most important place for them to see you is at the finish and you have to get there early to get a good spot, plus it is easier on them. But like I said - some people do it.
            My family did the same thing last year and were able to be right in the front row very near the finish. It is a madhouse near there later in the day so best to set up early.
            2010 Goals
            Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
            VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
            at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The logistics are tough if you try to drive. But there are other options. For example, your family could see you right near mile 17 at the Woodland D line stop, then hop on the next train and get off in Kenmore to see you again. The train ride takes approx 27 minutes, and the trains run about once every ten minutes. So the odds are good they would beat you there, as long as there are no delays on the D line. But they might have more fun just hanging out around the last few miles of the course and just watching you finish. There's lots of see.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

A Saucy Wench

So now I am thinking about going anyway and watching. I mean...I'm never going to make it to the olympics - the marathon near me is hardly elite. When else would I ever get to see the elite runners? And then if March/April goes well and I feel like taking a chance... Hmmmm

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

btb1490

So now I am thinking about going anyway and watching. I mean...I'm never going to make it to the olympics - the marathon near me is hardly elite. When else would I ever get to see the elite runners? And then if March/April goes well and I feel like taking a chance... Hmmmm
                  Those years that I can't run the marathon, I always go to just spectate. It actually is a lot less stressful than running the race, and is a lot of fun. If you know anyone doing the race, they really appreciate the support out there. And yes, seeing the elite runners, even for a few seconds, is exciting.

A Saucy Wench

Those years that I can't run the marathon, I always go to just spectate. It actually is a lot less stressful than running the race, and is a lot of fun. If you know anyone doing the race, they really appreciate the support out there. And yes, seeing the elite runners, even for a few seconds, is exciting.
                    bugger...dh does not like this idea at all.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

CF--I spectated last year and it was fairly easy to get around to 1-2 spots on the course with elementary school-aged kids (we travelled by train from mile 7 to 25 & then walked to the finish. Seeing the runner you wanted to see is a different story as the race is so crowded. Still, your family may love watching the race even if they don't see you at all.
                        My family did the same thing last year and were able to be right in the front row very near the finish. It is a madhouse near there later in the day so best to set up early.
                        How early do you recommend they set up.