Boston Marathon 2009

15K race on April 4th - should I or should I not? (Read 372 times)

OK. I keep going back and forth in my mind and I'm sure I will continue to do so. Last year I ran this race and it was a great tune up for my Spring Marathon. I would like to run it for the same confidence it gave me last year. However, it is two weeks closer to Boston that last year's race. I am uninjured and have been doing tempos/ races fairly steadily durning my training. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Hope all of you are well and it wasn't too tough starting your runs an hour early today.
    Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
      I plan on running a 10k race that day. I think Pfitz calls for a 8-10k race that day. He calls for a 8-15k 4 weeks out. Might be pushing it......
      evanflein

I would do it, no matter what Pfitz says. Just be sure to be careful... If anything feels amiss, it becomes a training run!
          I did a five miler a week before qualifying for Boston, and I did run it relatively easy. I got away with it, but looking back on the risk/reward analysis it probably wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done. For me it was a struggle to throttle back, once I pin a number on I tend to forget that I intended to run an easy pace. If you're more disciplined than I am, it should probably be fine with just over two weeks to Boston. And like Erika said, if anything is amiss just turn it into a really easy training run.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I highly doubt that I'm more disciplined than you, BadDawg! Thanks to all three of you for your advice. The race is a bit of a hike, too. I agree with DCV2002 that a 10K would be perfect. Wish there was one around that day. I'm also doing a 50K Trail Run in July so maybe self preservation is more important. Thanks!
            Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
            btb1490

As a training run as a final tuneup for your marathon, to check your pacing, hydration, prerace fueling, clothing, etc. -yes. As a race, probably not the smartest thing. Keep your eye on the bigger prize.
                btb - can't do it - once I hear that gun I gotta give it all! Thanks for the input.
                  btb - can't do it - once I hear that gun I gotta give it all!
                  Danger! Warning....

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

When you put it like that , BadDawg.. Maybe I'll just sleep in that day and do a leisurely 12 miles like my plan calls for. Hubby will have the kids in ski lessons all day. Thanks!!
                      I just signed up to the Athens (ohio) half marathon on the 5th. I'm going to try and run it at my Boston goal pace which is about 15 to 20 seconds slower than my half PR pace. So I say go for it maybe not go for a PR but a good solid run sure. The big taper is over rated.