Boston Marathon 2009

Boston tips (Read 413 times)

It was thirty two degrees when I went to walk the dog at 6:00 this morning, and it got me thinking about Hopkinton. I never thought I would get a chance to use any of these tips, but I'm glad I bookmarked it when I first read it. Even if you don't use any of the tips, you'll probably get a laugh or two. Boston Marathon tips to get you to the finish line Some of the more organized folks are probably already thinking about their race prep list, so feel free to share your favorite tips. MTA: Sadly, I believe the Freedom Run is now a thing of the past. Anybody care to resurrect it unofficially?

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

btb1490

BadDawg, thanks for posting that link to Tim's website. It is definitely worth taking the time to read. Even though some of the tips seem tongue in cheek, they are all valuable tidbits of information, from someone who has run Boston, and many other marathons, a bunch of times. Your mention of your chilly dog walk this morning makes me want to stress the importance of keeping warm at the start of the race, assuming we don't get one of those freakish 80+ degree days. Bring and wear more toss away clothes than you think you'll need. You have a long wait before the start of the race. The body burns calories to keep itself warm, and you're gonna need all those calories to get you through 26.2 miles of running. I like the idea of getting together for our own version of the Freedom run on Sunday. I would have to do it pretty early though, so I hope that's agreeable. Perhaps a run along the Charles?
        The weird thing about this area is you can combine the thirty degree start of the day with a scorched earth midday. Wearing more throwaway layers than you think you'll need is definitely the way to go. A nice early jaunt along the Charles sounds good to me. Don't know if folks are interested in watching the races that day, I think the 5K starts at 8:00 and the Invitational Mile at 9:30.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I can no longer get into the website. It requires a password.
            I can no longer get into the website. It requires a password.
            I think it's probably pretty likely that the site exceeded its allowed bandwidth. I don't think the guy's blog was ever supposed to handle as much traffic as it gets, especially the week before Boston. Dead It's ugly, but here are most of the tips in HTML format (until this link crashes).

E.J.

I think it's probably pretty likely that the site exceeded its allowed bandwidth. I don't think the guy's blog was ever supposed to handle as much traffic as it gets, especially the week before Boston. Dead It's ugly, but here are most of the tips in HTML format (until this link crashes).
              Thanks. Good luck on Monday!