Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 12/6/2010 (Read 230 times)

old-runner

The weather looks so bad for Sunday's Run to Victory Half Marathon that I bit the bullet and shelled out 90 bucks for a last minute entry into the Thunder Road Half tonight. Good to see Lynwood there (he's everywhere!).

Good luck to everybody running Thunder Road... that's most of us right?

under a rock

Good luck everyone! I'm looking forward to hearing reports. I'll be out running the trails at USNWC about the same time, hopefully getting close to 13 done.

old-runner

So.... how'd it go for everybody in Thunder Road today?

I was 1:41:20 this year in the half which was 4th place in the 55-59 age group so I'm pretty satisfied with that. It was the first time I've run outside since the Turkey Trot. I just don't like the cold weather. Wore an old gray hooded sweatshirt over the top of everything else and threw it away about 3 miles in.

How'd you folks do?

Very disappointed with my effort yesterday.  Went out hard with the 1:45 pace group, and they were faster than they said they would be for the first 4 miles, mile 1 at 7:40, Mile 2 at 8:00 (uphill), Mile 3 and 4 at 7:45, basically about a minute ahead at the 4 mile mark than they were supposed to be, I let them go at this point.  Died over the last 5K which came in at 28 minutes or so.  Feel like I wasted a perfect racing day.

MTA, Lynwood must have passed me somewhere over the last 3 miles, Never saw him.  I was ahead of him at the 10K split, but he finished a minute ahead of me.

It was a good effort for me. I'm happy with my time which was 1:49:20 and a 7 minute PR. I ran the first mile at 7:25 then slowed down. Some of the mile clocks were off which messed me up a little not having a gps. Shashi I'm sorry I missed you. I would have said something if I saw you. I figured we were around the same pace. That would have been fun to finish together. One of my cousin's saw me at the final 1/4 mile and planned on blowing by me right at the finish line. She closed within about 20 yards she said, and I didn't even know she was back there. That would have been funny. But when we hit the final .1 I went to a full sprint and she couldn't catch me. I must have passed 30 people. I'm like a horse seeing the barn!

Congrats to Shashi and Richard!  I think those were good times too.  Shashi, you did run quite a few miles and only recently finished a tough marathon.  That might have you a little tired.

theyapper

On the road again...

My marathon yesterday was a mixed bag.  I was aiming for a 4:15 and crossed the 20 mile marker at 3:09:47, so I felt like I would get it even running in at 10 m/m, which for me is a pretty easy pace. Only problem was, I had some serious cramping over that last 10k and it took me 1:14 to finish from there.

So, on the one hand I'm disappointed because I finished at 4:23:32 and missed my goal, but on the other hand I took 25 minutes off my first marathon effort, so it's hard not to walk away pleased with that kind of improvement.

Pretty sore today, but mentally I am light years ahead of where I was last year after Richmond.  I'm already thinking about how I can train smarter and run a better race next year.  Will probably begin using e-caps for my long runs and marathons from now on.  Quite a few people who struggled with cramping have sworn by them, and I've got to do something to keep me from losing 10-15 minutes in the last 10k.

Congrats to everyone else who raced.  Looks like we had some really good showings in the Thunder Road races from our little group.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

Nice to finally get a report from everyone. Sounds like everyone put in efforts they should be very proud of! Good job and congrats to all!

Nice race Paul, that last 10k is a bitch isn't it. I ran my slowest 5k ever that last 5k of monkey, something like 32 minutes. And it was mostly downhill. Will do something next training cycle to try and fix this fade, but I think it will take a few tries to get there, just have to budget it into our expectations
                    old-runner

That last 10k or so is why I've sworn off marathons permanently, but I salute those of you who are hanging in there.

No report from ChakaKahn yet? I just read his blog and am excited about how his race at the Run to Victory Half Marathon went today but I'll try to control myself and let him give us the details when he checks in here.

Congrats to everybody who ran this weekend!

Great run Paul!  Congratulations. 

When we turn off to the right to finish the half marathon, I always feel for the marathoners going left. 

Are we there yet?

No report from ChakaKahn yet? I just read his blog and am excited about how his race at the Run to Victory Half Marathon went today but I'll try to control myself and let him give us the details when he checks in here.

Congrats to everybody who ran this weekend!

Way to go Paul..  a PR that is nearly 1 minute per mile faster is incredible. Also sounds like you've left some meat on the bone for next time.

My Half-Marathon went really well as I got a W.

Thanks Richard for not stealing my thunder. It isn't often that I get to say I won a race.. horrible race conditions, lots of hills, but I managed to chase the police car down for the entire race. Congrats to all

Full Race Report

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Mike.  Yeah, I'm not going to complain about taking that much time off a marathon.

Congrats on a 1st place finish!  I enjoyed the race report - it is tempting to run that next year just to see VJ and the Pettys.  I can't imagine what a rush it must be to have the squad car lead you to victory!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Mike... Congratulations on your 1st place finish and leading from beginning to end! Most of us mere mortals can only dream of doing that. I once led a small 10k race for maybe a half mile with the police car in front of me and had goose bumps for the entire time. I knew somebody would pass me but I sure did enjoy being up front for once with nobody ahead of me.

I was planning on running the Run to Victory HM too but when I saw the weather report I opted for Thunder Road instead. Glad to see you did so well there though!

Congratulations Mike.  That's a great race and report.