Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 3/9 (Read 221 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Here's the topic for updating us all on the runs this week. Should be pretty nice weather here in central NC. Last week had some personal records - great work everyone! Nice to see the training pay off.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

I'm running the Shamrock 10k in Asheville on Saturday. Looks like the weather's going to be cold again -- I hate when that happens -- but I'm going to try to make the best of the warm weather the first part of the week. The editor of the Asheville Citizen-Times "Girls Gone Outdoors" section did a blog write-up yesterday about older runners and I ended up being the central character! She described me as a "white-haired man with earmuffs and knee-high socks." Guess that's the end of the line for the earmuffs and the knee-high socks! It's pretty funny though. You can find it at the following address if the link works... http://blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php?blog=45&p=6162&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
        That's classic! What a great article Richard. And I can vouch for how hard it is to chase you too. I think I'll try to move over 20 miles for the week like I originally planned. I ran one 3 mile recovery run Sunday, very slow with a friend of mine. We ran the same course as the Gary Kreuger 5K that just about killed me in 2007. I call it the Freddy Krueger actually. Non stop rolling hills with a crazy 200 hundred yard monster hill. It was the first 5K I've ever ran in August of 2007. 32+ minutes. I would say it's a little easier now though. Our group ran another 5K course tonight and I ran it too fast, but I feel good. It's hard to run slow sometimes with a group, but I'm working on that. Looking forward to hearing more reports. L
        theyapper

On the road again...

Richard is famous AND in our group! Wow. This is my 3rd day of LHR training runs and so far all seems to be going well. Put in a nice 5 miler this morning.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ok, opinions are needed. Here's what I did for the week: Saturday - 5K PR at the Corporate Cup Sunday (start of my week) - 3.02 miles @ very easy 11:10 pace Monday - .67 warmup 3.13 5k run 30 seconds below 5k PR pace @ 8:30 .55 cooldown Tuesday - Rest Wednesday - 7 miles @ 10:10 pace Thursday - 4.41 miles @ 9:25 pace Hill Run Friday - Rest Saturday - 1.5 Easy run Total - 20 + Now my achilles are sore. It didn't seem very hard at the time, but is this too much? I think this week I'll run all runs over 10 minutes per mile, and NO hills. I can't figure out if it's the speed causing the problems, the hills, (which I really suspect) or the combination of the two. Maybe I would be better off running the YMCA track, nice and level, until I build up a much bigger base?
            old-runner

Hi Lynwood, I'm far from an expert since I'm new at running myself, but I'll bet it's the hill training, especially if you haven't been doing any hill training at all. Maybe somebody will chime in with better advice, but what's been working for me is to just build up my mileage about 5 or 10% a week. Of course everybody's different and I've read so many different opinions that I've just kind of settled into the easiest one, which is to just run kind of easy and not work much on speed until I've built up a better mileage base. I normally just run fairly slowly (maybe 10-minute miles on average) on all my training runs then on Saturday in the races I turn it up a notch and it seems to work. I seem to get a little faster all the time so far with just building up my miles at a slow pace. I haven't really done much hill or speed training so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but if that was your first hill training the 4.41 miles seems like a lot. Maybe you'd be better off starting with a mile then building it up by a mile each week or something like that. I ran the Shamrock 10k in Asheville last Saturday and it started out uphill for the first 2-1/2 miles! Then worse than that, the next mile was a really steep downhill that I had to hold my brakes on the whole time. I was tired going up but felt fine other than that, but my legs are still sore from all of that steep downhill. ~Richard
              old-runner

Richard is famous AND in our group! Wow.
                Hey Paul (theyappear66), I did get mentioned in the paper but that's probably not going to qualify me for fame just yet. You, on the other hand, really are famous! I was just reading some of the different things on your website that you're involved in... I'm amazed you have time to run with all that going on! Sounds like you're involved with the Assembly of God Church. My wife and I were members of the First Assembly of God in Gastonia for about 10 years. Let me know if you're ever doing anything there and maybe we can come listen to you.