Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 16-22SEP2013 (Read 12 times)

Good luck, Shashi.

I'm going to do some awesome glute exercises and hip flexor stretches.  I may volunteer for the Lungstrong 15k on SUN.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Hey, put me down for the Run the Valley Half Marathon too... It was the slowest of 18 half marathons I ran last year (1:48:11). Had a hamstring injury then but I'm feeling pretty good this year. Goal this year is to be under 1:45.

theyapper

On the road again...

We're all about last minute entries, aren't we?  I signed up today for the Run the Valley HM in Badin tomorrow.  I've got a 2:10:00 minute training run on the schedule tomorrow and both my sons are volunteering at water stations so I have to get up early, so...why not run a half?

Anyway, no goal since it's a training run, and if I finish it and feel like it was actually a training run then I'll be happy.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Yay Paul... Glad to hear you're running it too! It's practically a RunningAhead reunion with 3 of us in the race!

I'll be on the lookout for both you and Shashi in the morning!

theyapper

On the road again...

What a great time at the Run the Valley HM this morning.  Got to see Richard and meet Sashi for the first time IRL.

Overall, I was pleased.  Finished at 2:09:05 for an overall pace of 9:52.  I wish I could say it felt easy - and it did for the first 8-10 miles, but coming back in to the finish is a pretty good climb, and at that point the heat and humidity were rising, too.  At any rate, walked some of the hills and still finished well within my training plan's suggested pace of 9:44-10:30 per mile.

And it's 4 hours later and I feel great.  Mission accomplished.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Good job Paul, Richard and I were looking for you at the finish, did you leave right after your race? 2:01 something for me, right at my planned pace(was hoping for sub 2, but the course was tougher than anticipated and a tad warm), but that was not easy at all. The legs were there at the end and despite big slowdown, passed a couple of runners in the last two miles and no one passed me after mile 3, so I guess an honest effort. first race in 6 months and first long race since July last year.
              old-runner

Great to see you guys today! Glad your races went well. It was the RRCA state championship 10k so I switched to the 10k in hopes of winning the Senior Grandmasters. I did okay, finishing 11th overall at 45:33 (walked 5 times) but was foiled by a 62-year-old who told me after the race that at one time or another he has held the state record for every major road racing distance and he was a 4-minute miler in college. Very nice guy though.

Here's a pic of me and Shashi before the race. Paul was getting out of his car and I'm looking at him hoping he'll get there for the pic but he didn't make it.

Shashi, I thought you ran in NC? Were you in Southern California?  It looks like your standing next to a lifeguard with 40+ years on the beach (he has tenure, can't be fired, so he now grows out his hair, I think the next stage coming up very very soon will be to put it into a pony tail -- I know people who look just like that lifeguard captain your standing next to).

Rob

old-runner

Bahahaha.... If only I could swim!