Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 08JAN2012 (Read 249 times)

old-runner

I'm feeling a lot better and managed 5 miles today so I'm thinking I'll come run it too. I've run two hard half marathons in the last two weeks so I'm thinking about just running it kind of easy myself. Might try tagging along with somebody else who's running a kind of easy pace.

I think that makes about 5 of us who might be there... that might be the biggest crowd we've ever assembled from this group! Maybe some others will think about joining us as well.

If Happyfeet comes, he can get a cool RA technical shirt!

Wink

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I plan to attend and plan to run (not race) this & want to get in 17 (so depending upon whether I warmup prior, which is not likely, I'll run it and then tack on some additional miles). For those that have not run this greenway, its usually 5 degrees colder versus the street (although I've never run down there when its below freezing so it could actually be slightly warmer because the creek doesn't freeze), its paved except for the final mile on the other side to Rte 51 which is dirt, the only hill will be when you turn left at the end of greenway and go up 51, and beware of the virtual homeless person when you run under the I485 overpasses that terrorized Lynwood.

Rob

Rob, I'm happy to run with you if you can slow down about 20-30sec/mi.  I can do no faster than maybe 8:30 pace.  (I haven't run more than 13mi since Twin Cities in 2010.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive/Cliff, thanx...my plan, depending upon I feel (based on how I recover fr Friday's workout, the cold temps and morning hours), was to run the first half in 8:00-8:15 pace and then push the pace in the second half about 10-15 seconds per mile (and then go very easy up to 17). I won't have an opportunity to do this again in a group setting. Given the size of the group, and knowing some of the people running this, there will be a good number of people running in the 8:30/45 range.

Rob

So at least we were represented with Lynwood, Han, myself and Phyllis (who organized this event and many thanx!). It was freezing cold to start (28 degrees) and about a mile into the run I noticed Han had no gloves (my hands were freezing in gloves at this point) & he ran this w/out them (can't imagine how bad your hands hurt). Lynwood as usual arrived at 7:29.59 just making it for the official start (~30 runners). Majority of people did "race" this.

So all of us were looking for a very bundled up and very possibly shivering Eskimo looking (on Weight Watchers) man -- and we did not see such a person?

Then when we were lined up to start, we all looked to the right towards the Starbucks for Cliff, but no Cliff, then we looked down the street where people were parking for Clive, but no Clive, then to the left for Cliff, then behind us for Clive, but no Cliff or Clive?

Hope the two/three of you are ok?

Rob

Yeah, I bailed.  I've been trying to get a bike ride in per week, and it didn't fit into the schedule this week until SAT afternoon ... and then I ran 3mi with the dog afterward.  Got to bed at 1AM, woke up at 550AM and just decided I wasn't rested and recovered enough for a 16-miler right then.  So back to bed I went.

Glad you guys had a good time.

-- Dick LeBeau

Rob, I laughed out loud at that.  I think Rob use to do stand-up in NY prior to moving to Charlotte. Didn't you use to be on Full House?

Cliff, I hate you and Richard couldn't make it.  You guys could have been out of site at the 1/4 mile point from me, just like Rob and Han.  heh   I stuck to my guns, as we sometimes say in the south, and ran my easy pace of 9 minute miles and almost became the sweeper...and was for quite a while. Richard, you had some good Gaston County representation though.  Brian Trotter made it and ran very close to the front. I assume 1:32 was racing for him, but it's been a few years since we've run together. It it wasn't, I look forward to hearing about his next half.  Stephen was there, and he ran 20 miles.  Enough said.  Anybody that runs that far is representing, I don't care what pace it is. 

It was good to meet Han for the first time.  Han, I hope you had fun meeting some of our crazy running friends.  Now, you have to come out on Monday, Wednesday, and then you should be ready for a Thursday run.

Yes, a big thanks to Phyllis also, as I got to meet her too!  She's a heck of a good race director, and I'm proud of this medal as much as any other. Phyllis and her race "volunteers" (runners who volunteered to not run, and stand in the cold for 2 plus hours) worked hard.  I really had no plan to run that far, and since my almost 11 miler on Wednesday, I wasn't sure I would make it. 

nanxin

Rob and Lynwood, it was nice to meet you in person, the race was great, it was freezing cold at the beginning, I only could feel my hands 3 miles into the run, but after that I felt great. I ran the first half together with Rob, I think the average pace was 7:40, about 20 seconds faster than Rob's plan. I made a big mistake before the race, since I never knew that some of Starbucks have bathroom, I was looking for bathroom after I felt the existence of my hands, finally at mile 5 there is a porta-John, but someone just took it. Rob, now you must know why I ran so fast after we turn around the yellow cone.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

Han, I heard about you bolting, and now you just became the funniest yet.  

old-runner

Glad to see that quite a few of you made it out there after all! After running half marathons the two previous weeks and not feeling great for the past week I decided Friday night I wouldn't even try it. I went out Saturday afternoon and instead of my normal 12-mile long run I just managed  7 miles so I'm still not back to my normal bright-eyed and bushy-tailed self! I saw some pics on Facebook and it looked like fun.

I wanted to drive up to Asheville for the Hot Chocolate 10k next week. It's definitely one of my favorite winter races and is worth the trip if any of you are interested. My daughter is coming down from NY and I wanted to be here. She's doing research and interviewing people for a book she's writing about a small community where my mom grew up and it goes to the publisher in a couple weeks so it's her last trip down here before that and she's also seven months pregnant so I wanted to hang around and not be running off to a race like I tend to do.

Congrats to everybody who ran the half... hope nobody OD'd on cake!~ 

I'll second the recommendation for the Hot Chocolate race.

• The course has a big downhill right out of the gate, then flat for most of the race, and it finishes with a two-stage uphill that I LOVED (and most people hated).
                          • The school is open beforehand, so you can stay warm and have access to real bathrooms with real toilets.
                          • Jus' Runnin' brought a boatload of shoes two years ago when I ran it, all priced at $35 each.
                          • There are a surprising number of fast folks in the Asheville area, so all but the very quickest will have someone near them to run with or compete against.

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Clive Fenster... Are you running it this year? I talked to my daughter on the phone and she told me I ought to run it if I wanted to since she's got other things to do and is staying until the middle of next week.

I noticed there's a 60% chance of rain but other than that I'd like to run it again too. By the way, I'm not quite as fond as you are of that steep uphill climb that comprises the half mile of the race. Love the race though.

I'm a fan of bad conditions.  Heat, cold, wind, hills -- bring it on!  FYI, I think my log entry for that race is public, so y'all should be able to see the course map and elevation.

But I'm not running it this year, either.  After flirting with the 5k 2-3 times, I'm in base-building mode.  My next race isn't until late February.

-- Dick LeBeau

rossruns

The Hot Chocolate race looks like fun.  I'm already signed up to do the 9 mi trail race at the Whitewater Center this Saturday, though.  I thought I'd mix up things a bit and I haven't done a trail race since Cross Country in high school, so I'm looking forward to getting back out there (even if I have heard that it's full of crazy hills on some of the trails).  Maybe next time!