Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 5/16 (Read 110 times)

I was just curious how everybody's week transpired.  I've had one of my best weeks ever I think, and last month hit 100 + miles for the month. 

Monday started with my running group, and I ran with one of our members in our group here....ahem....A Holley....not that I would call anybody out or anything.  No, I wouldn't do that.  Anyway, a hello goes to Adrian, and welcome.  I enjoyed that run.  We run around the same pace so training runs with Adrian works perfect.  Monday was nice and cool, and our Monday run is 4.44 miles of very tough Dilworth hills, so the cool evening was much needed. We had a nice sprint finish and I don't think either of us were very tired. 

This course was created a few years ago for a past group called Sharksbite, and they did timed runs and posted the results on the net. Tim Long blogged the run, and still has an interesting blog site about his running out west with some of the big boys and girls running ultras.

This course is how I got started, embarrassingly really, as the times were there for everyone to see.  Most of the runners ran 9 or below.  Lots of 6, 7 and 8 minute milers, with a few college runners showing up, down to the fastest person I've seen run it.  5:42 pace I think.  I'm very thankful that Tim decided to use his writing skills and humor, to include the times of parents watching their younger kids running, (they got DNF's), dogs roaming the streets, or on leashes, (they got finishing times), a few delivery men, one poor skateboarder that fell down hard, and himself to round out the list to make sure there were always 5, 6 or more, at the very bottom. Tim helped me a lot and doesn't even know who I am.  I think I'll start running it twice; maybe in his honor.

I ran about 7.5 miles at the Whitewater Center on Saturday and that was fun.  Hot and tough.   I didn't see a lot of runners.  Mostly cyclists.  I was crazy enough to run in the heat I guess.  One couple kept getting humorously mad as I kept catching them.  The first time I went by 'em, the lady just about jumped off her bike. I'm a novice trail runner so now I know to make some noise when I catch the cyclists.  Had a nice meal watching the last of the rafters as the sun set. I finished my week today with another 6 at McAlpine Park, with about 27 miles this week. I only had to hurdle one snake.  He didn't pay me much attention.  Depending upon how I feel, I'll shoot for over 30 this coming week for the first time.

I'm running right now for the first time since I started with no pain in my calves so any mile I run, that relaxed, is fantastic.  Fast or slow, it just feels good to run.

under a rock

I had a good week last week, hitting 25 miles in one week  for the first time since 2001. My IT band is still doing well, but I'm still pretty cautious about it. I'm stepping the mileage back a hair this week to give it some extra rest. I did about 10.5 miles at Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill on Saturday. I'm training with some friends for the Race For the Land  trail half marathon on June 5.

On the trail some people just aren't aware of their surroundings and you just end up scaring the bejeezus out of some people no matter what you do. I'm pretty sure I'm not cat like as I run up behind crunching rocks, leaves, heavy breathing, and water sloshing around on my back, yet I still get a few people that end up surprised. I usually try to say something before I get too close. One day I came upon two hikers at Crowders Mtn, the man heard me coming and started to make room but the woman clearly did not hear and when I started to say, "Excuse me" she jumped and screamed. This wasn't just a little scream, you would have thought I had jumped out of the trees wearing a hockey mask wielding a machete. Really threw me off because normally I say thanks and good morning after I say excuse me but I didn't that time.

I have been having a problem with my Achilles ever since my relay a couple of weeks ago, so my running is taking a bit of a breather.  The upshot being I am getting some projects done around the house, built a play/swing set this weekend.   Last weekend was planting some trees.  So this being "Running Ahead", and not the "DIY" channel, I'll shut up .

under a rock

I have been having a problem with my Achilles ever since my relay a couple of weeks ago, so my running is taking a bit of a breather.  The upshot being I am getting some projects done around the house, built a play/swing set this weekend.   Last weekend was planting some trees.  So this being "Running Ahead", and not the "DIY" channel, I'll shut up .

If you've got some spare time could you come extend my patio with some cement patio bricks?

theyapper

On the road again...

I've been building my mileage up slowly since the beginning of the year.  Seems that my first marathon last November took A LOT more out of me than I thought!  But, since I started back, I've had no issues, I feel great and last week I put in 36 miles.  Plan is to be doing 40+ consistently by summer's end.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

We went down near the coast and ran the White Lake Water Festival 10k this past Sunday. It was a small race and I actually was the overall leader from about 0.75 to 1.25 miles. First time ever in that position. I knew it wouldn't last but it was fun for a couple of minutes at least. I ended up 5th overall so not too bad. I'm trying to gradually build up my mileage to 50+ per week but not quite there yet. I'm probably averaging about 45 right now. We're heading up next weekend to run the Brooklyn Half Marathon. It's a big 'un with about 10,000 runners and ends at Coney Island. Should be fun. It's Linda's first half marathon.

Good luck to everybody running the RFYL Grand Prix race next weekend!